PDA

View Full Version : Ric Flair

Roy Munson
09-10-2005, 09:05 AM
By continuing to wrestle well into his late 50's does the great Ric Flair tarnish his legacy?

This was a man who in his prime could be mentioned in the same breath with such legends as Bruno Sammartino, Verne Gagne, Lou Thesz and Nick Bockwinckel.

Watching him stagger through matches today evokes disturbing images of Willie Mays and Brooks Robinson at the end of their illustrious careers.

It has gotten to the point where I just can not bear to watch.

JTrout
09-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Thank God football season is here!

Sluss
09-10-2005, 10:43 AM
A couple of months ago Ric Flair's high school aged son is wrestling in a North Carolina Duel Meet vs. a big rival. Young Flair's team is up by four points when he comes out to wrestle the final match.

Match goes poorly for Flair's son when he gets pinned (making his team lose by 2 points). The kid who pins him stands up screams "Whoooooo!" and begins to do the Flair strut along the edge of the mat. Flair's kid gets up leaps at the kid and starts punching him. The stands empty and a huge mele breaks out.

True story. One of the best wrestling stories I have ever heard.

jakethebake
09-10-2005, 12:11 PM
I love that this is in the sports forum. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
09-10-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple of months ago Ric Flair's high school aged son is wrestling in a North Carolina Duel Meet vs. a big rival. Young Flair's team is up by four points when he comes out to wrestle the final match.

Match goes poorly for Flair's son when he gets pinned (making his team lose by 2 points). The kid who pins him stands up screams "Whoooooo!" and begins to do the Flair strut along the edge of the mat. Flair's kid gets up leaps at the kid and starts punching him. The stands empty and a huge mele breaks out.

True story. One of the best wrestling stories I have ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rules. Is there a link to that?

Dynasty
09-10-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By continuing to wrestle well into his late 50's does the great Ric Flair tarnish his legacy?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Jack of Arcades
09-10-2005, 07:01 PM
I was never a big Ric Flair guy anyway. He could carry a mop to a 3-star match, but everyone's seen the 3-star match a thousand times.

battschr
09-10-2005, 07:03 PM
But he rarely, if ever, wrestled a mop.

A_C_Slater
09-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I think the fact that once a match he always climbs to the top turnbuckle and always gets thrown off of it tarnishes his legend.

You think he would have learned his lesson by now.

ftball0000
09-10-2005, 09:46 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Roy Munson
09-11-2005, 08:30 AM
I always found the climb to the top turnbuckle to be the major leak in his game. Mr. Flair was always at his best when he and his opponent were on the mat.

mblax10
09-11-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was never a big Ric Flair guy anyway. He could carry a mop to a 3-star match, but everyone's seen the 3-star match a thousand times.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather watch Flair's 3 star rotine than most superstar's typical 1 or 2 star routine. Not to mention when he was wrestling somebody who could carry their own weight Steamboat, Valentine, Dusty, Race, Sting, Savage they were liable to put together a classic any night. Flair may be tarnishing his image for younger audiences who didn't see him in his glory days, but I style consider him in the top 5 of my lifetime.

Kevmath
09-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I could post links to a bunch of wrestling websites, since this incident took place in April, the newspaper sites moved it to their paid archives, but you could Google Reid Fliehr if so desired.