PDA

View Full Version : kicker battle

MobbDeep
09-10-2005, 07:41 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Hero ($35.12)
UTG ($69.75)
UTG+1 ($43.80)
MP1 ($57.55)
MP2 ($57.50)
MP3 ($13.75)
CO ($55.75)
Button ($65.30)
SB ($92.35)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB calls $2.50.

Turn: ($10) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, SB calls $6.

River: ($22) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $22

on turn i thought it was a kicker battle, but i have to prtect against possible flush draws right? or should i just check?

09-10-2005, 09:41 AM
If you put him on A-something or a flush-draw then I think it's a good play. You need to protect your hand against the flush-draw, but at the same time you want a cheap showdown or get paid for a well hidden runner runner flush.

If you check the turn you are inviting every kind of bluff if a scare-card hits and maybe a pot-sized bet from top pair unknown kicker. This way you can get rid of flush-draws or make them pay for it, and at the same time control the potsize. A scare-card could still mean that villian would bluff, but thats pretty read-dependant I think.

just my 2 cents.

ryanghall
09-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Check the turn - what is the point of betting it?

It has a couple of advantages. First of all, after he calls your flop raise it looks like you're behind anyway so it keeps the pot small. Secondly, if he bluff check-raises you you have to fold (minor point). Thirdly, it allows him to go for a bluff on the river if he doesn't have a great hand (that you can call).

In this hand, though, I really prefer a call on the flop and a smallish lead on the turn of perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 of the pot.

Ryan

Slappz
09-10-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check the turn - what is the point of betting it?

It has a couple of advantages. First of all, after he calls your flop raise it looks like you're behind anyway so it keeps the pot small. Secondly, if he bluff check-raises you you have to fold (minor point). Thirdly, it allows him to go for a bluff on the river if he doesn't have a great hand (that you can call).

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of draws out there that will call the turn bet that your beating. 56, hearts, Ax are all calling that turn and paying you off. I like the check behind on the river much better. Pot control is important, but you cant be checking every turn just because of it.