PDA

View Full Version : Poll about spiders

09-10-2005, 06:39 AM
without looking at responses or researching, do you think a spider could get caught in another spider's web? Given that it's a normal web and both spiders are of equal size (let's say a little less than a dime sized body).

EDIT : I'm talking like... if a spider fell 5 feet onto another spiders web (and lit on it's back ). Not if it just crawled onto the web.

09-10-2005, 06:51 AM
I'm guessing yes, since its their feet that don't get stuck to the web.

Freakin
09-10-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing yes, since its their feet that don't get stuck to the web.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, from what I've read there are also parts of the web that are non-sticky. So the spider uses these 'support threads' to move aroudn the web.

It seems unlikely that there is anything special about their feet that would keep them from sticking to the web, but I will accept any factual evidence to prove me wrong.

Freakin

Matty
09-10-2005, 09:32 AM
okay now post a link or the answer in white, and quickly before my attention

lem45216
09-10-2005, 09:53 AM
I heard somewhere that they have special oils on their feet so they don't stick to their own webs. BUT i have seen other spiders caught in other other spider's webs, so im guessing the answer to the above question is yes.

Freakin
09-10-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard somewhere that they have special oils on their feet so they don't stick to their own webs. BUT i have seen other spiders caught in other other spider's webs, so im guessing the answer to the above question is yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oil makes sense... off to google...

Freakin

Freakin
09-10-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight dope answers again Linky (http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspiderweb.html)

lem45216
09-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Ah you were correct, i heard wrong, well done. Guess you learn something everyday eh.

Los Feliz Slim
09-10-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freakin

[/ QUOTE ]

Straight dope answers again Linky (http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mspiderweb.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

When a spider gets caught in his own web, that's got to be really embarrassing. All the other spiders laugh and laugh. And then eat him.