PDA

View Full Version : Who's in control?

zman
04-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Ok, im new at this game, but i found one i can beat. Its a $50 PL hold'em, usually just 6-8 players, and they suck!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif There are maybe 20-30 of them taking turns giving me their money, and im loving it! I just wonder why they keep on playing the way they do /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I mean, after a while they gotta start thinking something like: "wow, im losing all this money, maybe i should adjust (radically change) my style of play." But no. They keep preflop raising ANY Ace, and listen to this: i can also play any ace in this game, but i play it GOOD, while they play theirs BAD. Is this wrong of me? Many of you puritans are surely horrified by this, but whats wrong with winning pots with any A? There is one guy that i respect at the table and i rarely play any pots against him, not that i couldnt beat him, but its like we have an unspoken agreement to share the suckers monies.

Now, all thats good. Here is the prob: lately there has been one or two guys sitting down, that outplay me the $100 ive worked hard for for two hours, he takes 50 of them before i realize i gotto adjust my play. Well, ive cought on to it now, but id like suggestions of how to handle him. I dont think he's a great player, but he ceartainly has more experience than me. While i have been dominating the table for an hour or two, (without pushing people around too much, of course) this guy sits down and in a minute he controls the table. Not that he's a bully, but it seems he's got a very good read on the hands out. (This is also a question i have: How do i develop and expand on my handreading skills?) He smallbets marginal hands and collects a lot of small pots, he plays his good hands really fast, he picks up the big pots, and i can never tell what hand he's got. When i call him down he's got me beat, but i suspect i fold a lot of possible winners to his hand. At first i tried to use his style against him, betting and raising, but it didn't work at all. Just now im trying Caro's advice of checking and calling. I havent figured if it works yet. Im also tightening up my starting hands when he sits down. What else can i do to prevent him from taking my hardearned money, and preventing him from taking money off the suckers that i figure are rightfully MINE? One thing of course i could just leave, but i also feel its time for me to move up in skill level, and not just take the easy money, but also this guys. I think i have the potential to do it, just like to hear some opinions on what i should focus on.

thanks for your time, pokerlovers

Paul Talbot
04-28-2003, 01:57 PM
You should probably post some specific hands (in the PL/NL forum) in order to get some good advice. It's impossible to simply give you a strategy to beat the good player.

I will also advise you that for the cost of one pot you can buy both Ciaffone's and Cloutier's books on the subject and one of the biggest factors in learning the game is a lot of careful studying.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

Robk
04-29-2003, 12:05 AM
If you are getting outplayed by one player, I would just stay away from him! Tighten up a lot when he is in the pot, and tackle the live ones. There are no easy answers to playing big bet well, and it takes a lot of experience. I would buy SuperSystem in addition to the books mentioned- I felt that it really helped me understand the game.