PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of wine...

private joker
09-10-2005, 01:12 AM
The other thread is about white wine, which sucks.

I'm wondering if anyone in OOT would agree with me that the best red wine value is the 2001 Clos du Bois Reserve Cabernet (http://www.wine.com/wineshop/product_detail.asp?PProduct_ID=SWS101427_2001&Nu=p _family_name&cid=shoppingcomdf79285). It is absolutely delicious, goes great with steak, and is extremely affordable. Yes?

(My #2 choice would be the Coppola Claret, which at $15 is a steal).

cdxx
09-10-2005, 01:40 AM
try this georgian wine (http://www.georgia-wine.com/kindzmarauli.htm)

you'll be pleasantly surprised. ~$15

Dominic
09-10-2005, 01:44 AM
Have you tried any of the great Hunter Valley reds from Australia? Great wine at a great price.

Also, there are some incredible Argentinian wine, too.

tonypaladino
09-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Shiraz

Yellowtail, Jacob's creek (australians) and even Fat Bastard (french) are all good varieties. Dont let the price fool you. Yellowtail shiraz is only like $8, but is wonderful.

wacki
09-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Trader Joes has a crapload of wine that is very good for $5 a bottle. Just walk in and talk to the manager.

Bukem_
09-10-2005, 02:55 AM
Clos du bois is great value for the money, always on sale for cheap on west coast, usually 12 bucks or so.

On East coast its usually 18ish though.

private joker
09-10-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Trader Joes has a crapload of wine that is very good for $5 a bottle. Just walk in and talk to the manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get the majority of my wine at TJ's. But as good as it is, it's still not fantastic. No wine is *fantastic* at $5.

MrTrik
09-10-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clos du bois is great value for the money, always on sale for cheap on west coast, usually 12 bucks or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in MN the Chardonnay floats between 8.99 and 10.99. All the other varieties seem competitively priced as well. My wife loves the Chardonnay, S. Blanc, Pinot, and Cabernet. Not so high on the Zin though. She will drink beer now and then or vodka, but mainly she's a wine drinker and for her everyday glass or three with and after dinner Clos du bois is one of the best values we have around here. I like the stuff too, and especially like the value as compared to some other wines that are as good but pricier.

garyjacosta
09-10-2005, 05:20 PM
The absolute best budget wine I have found is Turning Leaf Syrah... I find it better than many $15 plus bottles.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle. Kind of spicy, nice blueberry finish

MrTrik
09-10-2005, 05:30 PM
I've tried various Turning Leaf offerings. Probably because advertising works. I've never been impressed at all. Since I'm not sure I've tried the Syrah, I will do so. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I know I hate their Chardonnay, but I'll try the Syrah and see.

kenberman
09-10-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you think white wine sucks, then you don't actually like wine.

KDawgCometh
09-10-2005, 08:47 PM
does anyone have a link to any site that is good for learning more about wine, right now I just need the basic stuff, like what to look for and what not

rusellmj
09-10-2005, 08:56 PM
www.wine.com (http://www.wine.com)

or

www.wineenthusiast.com (http://www.wineenthusiast.com)

runner4life7
09-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Turning leaf, good choice. My dad works for E&J Gallo so I know mostly only stuff he has told me, but he isnt too biased because he does drink plenty of non gallo wine. I was told not to drink yellowtail though because it is terrible. One of my favorite cabernets is Louis Martini with 3 different qualities ranging from a $15 a$22 and a $35 bottle. The 15 being my most often choice because im cheap.

ftball0000
09-10-2005, 09:45 PM
check out www.jrwines.com (http://www.jrwines.com) It's my family's wine

private joker
09-11-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

if you think white wine sucks, then you don't actually like wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I said I also thought country music sucked, would you claim I don't actually like music?

bdohaney
09-11-2005, 06:02 AM
I am not a big fan of ANY mass-produced wine (yellow tail, turning leaf, etc.) That being said, there ARE some wines that you can get for around 15-30 that are *fantastic*. You just have to know where to look, like at small vineyards that don't even sell to wholesalers. Or, sometimes even larger stores will get small batch wines through importing wineries, etc (My favorite is a 1999 Jill's Vineyard Pinot Noir, found for about $38 or so now... IF you can find it.) And, also, S. America produces some fantastic wines for the price. Try an unfiltered cabernet sauvignon from Chile around 95-97 (to let it settle some). And finally, I am also a huge fan of Spanish reds lately. Great variety, and I think that they are way underrated.

Brain
09-11-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've tried various Turning Leaf offerings. Probably because advertising works. I've never been impressed at all. Since I'm not sure I've tried the Syrah, I will do so. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I know I hate their Chardonnay, but I'll try the Syrah and see.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's okay, I hate Yellowtail merlot (which has been recommended above) so maybe I'll have to try the shiraz.

jason_t
09-19-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you don't like Merlot too.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-19-2005, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

white wine does suck.

KDawgCometh
09-19-2005, 03:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'M NOT DRINKING ANY [censored] MERLOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beernutz
09-19-2005, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. Try their Reserve too, it is worth the extra few dollars.

Rhone
09-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Wine Lover's page (http://www.wineloverspage.com/)

slamdunkpro
09-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Best kept wine secret in North America. Some of these wines equal the best in the world.

Kelowna wine (http://www.travelkelowna.com/wineries.html)

pokerdirty
09-19-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'M NOT DRINKING ANY [censored] MERLOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to say this before Sideways, and now I can't anymore. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Matt Flynn
09-19-2005, 02:02 PM
In the $10 cabernet category it's hard to beat the Abbeyville 2002 cab. Just great for the price. If you find a bunch PM me 'cause I want a couple more cases.

Somebody post the under $20 values from Conoisseurs's (or however you spell that) Guide.