PDA

View Full Version : Why can't people make a good Long Island?

DasLeben
09-10-2005, 12:32 AM
So the other night I went out to Outback and got a Long Island. It sucked. All it tasted like was Sweet & Sour and cheap Vodka. So, I decided to try my luck again tonight at Red Robin.

I ordered a "TNT," which is supposed to be their top shelf Long Island. When I got it, it tasted like an equal mix of Sweet & Sour and cheap Vodka. Wtf is up with these people putting well liquor in their supposedly top shelf drinks?

Why can't people make good Long Islands period?

jakethebake
09-10-2005, 12:35 AM
It's a long island. You're mixing like 5 different liquors. Why would you order it top shelf anyway?

W. Deranged
09-10-2005, 12:39 AM
There are many reasons that people don't know how to make good drinks. And it's not just Long Islands...

I ordered a sidecar at a reasonably swank/popular club in New York and got a weak glass of trash that tasted like mostly Sour Mix and some generic triple sec. (A good Sidecar should be brandy, fresh lime, and triple sec... preferably Cointreau or, for the ambitious, Grand Marnier...)

Basically, bartenders work for speed and not quality. Sour mix is used in total abundance... it's a vile chemical creation that somehow has become an acceptable substitute for fresh lime juice (which, in my opinion, is the nectar of the gods, and has no acceptable substitute)...

Chain restaurants are the worst. From what I know, most of them actually have pretty stingy limits on the amount of alcohol that goes into their drinks (a cost cutting measure). Most one-and-one mixed drinks have only 1oz of liquor. I doubt the Long Islands, especially the top shelf ones, have more than 2oz.

Don't even get me started on the "Perfect Margarita" I had at Applebee's a few days back... supposedly 1800 Reposado (I think), Grand Marnier, and Fresh Lime... Had way to much sugar... I doubt more than a couple of lime wedges... I couldn't even taste the tequila.

It's a damn shame.

End of rant.

battschr
09-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Yup, hard to get a good drink these days.

ucfryan
09-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Most resturaunts have a bottle of pre-mixed long island stuff, and then it's mixed with s&s, hence why it tastes so cheap.

Bukem_
09-10-2005, 12:52 AM
You can't expect a good mixed drink from a chain restaurant.

They teach the bartenders to skimp on the alky.

Just order a beer at chains.

BottlesOf
09-10-2005, 01:13 AM
You mean a Long Island Iced Tea? You should not be ordering them.

DasLeben
09-10-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? A good Long Island is killer.

jakethebake
09-10-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you're a girl.

DasLeben
09-10-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you're a girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it is kinda chicky, but I'm sick of beer right now. It definitely is one of my favorite mixed drinks (along with Red Headed Sluts, etc.) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edge34
09-10-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you're a girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its official, we need an "Alcohol Snobs" sub-forum.

Seriously, mixing like 5 types of liquor doesn't say "female" to me. And if it says it to you, well, who the hell asked? This is the inevitable response of any alcohol-related thread we have around here. Doesn't matter what you like, someone will always know better than you do.

jakethebake
09-10-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, mixing like 5 types of liquor doesn't say "female" to me. And if it says it to you, well, who the hell asked?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does when you're making a drink with as much aslcohol as possible while simultaneously covering up the taste of said alcohol. A long island is designed to get chicks drunk. That's it.

Matt Williams
09-10-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you're a girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Long Island Iced Tea made correctly is NOT a girly drink. The name may be girly, but the drink isn't.

tonypaladino
09-10-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, mixing like 5 types of liquor doesn't say "female" to me. And if it says it to you, well, who the hell asked?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does when you're making a drink with as much aslcohol as possible while simultaneously covering up the taste of said alcohol. A long island is designed to get chicks drunk. That's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
09-10-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A Long Island Iced Tea made correctly is NOT a girly drink. The name may be girly, but the drink isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's right up there with vodka and grape juice or strawberry margs.

tonypaladino
09-10-2005, 01:26 AM
eww, i've never seen anyone drink vodka with grape juice. Who the [censored] drinks that?

jakethebake
09-10-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
eww, i've never seen anyone drink vodka with grape juice. Who the [censored] drinks that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Used to a standard high school girly drink.

MyTurn2Raise
09-10-2005, 01:28 AM
THE LONG ISLAND

Ingredients:
1 part Vodka
1 part Tequila
1 part Rum
1 part Gin
1 part Triple sec
1 1/2 part Sour mix
1 splash Coca-Cola

my favorite drink

Matt Williams
09-10-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You can't expect a good mixed drink from a chain restaurant.

They teach the bartenders to skimp on the alky.

Just order a beer at chains.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is so easy to get good drinks. I've worked in the food service industy so maybe it comes naturally to me. This is how you do it.

1. The first round of drinks needs to be beer. Tip the bartender $2 for EVERY drink he makes. $3 if is a busy bar. Make sure you hand him the money and tell him to keep the drinks coming. The 2nd round should be beer as well, but it's ok to bring mixed drinks into the picture. Tip him the SAME amount as the first round. By now, he/she will have your attention.

2. When you want to go to stronger drinks, tell the bartender you want it stronger. They act on speed, but when they know they will get good tips, believe me they will make it stronger.

3. If at anytime you notice someone b!tching at them, tell them you are a waiter/waitress and know exactly how they feel. Believe me, they will think of you as one of their own, and treat you well.

Honestly, by the end of the night, you will be getting a free drink or 2, which will cover the extra money you spent on the tip in the first place. Then, when you go back again, they will remember you. Oh by the way, they talk to other bartenders so if you treat one well, all will remember you.

Eurotrash
09-10-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty much how it is. the guys that like it all seem to be rationalizing "but it's FIVE different kinds of alcohol, that makes it fit for a tough guy"

yeah, what about that tall, slender, gay glass that you get it in? no to mention the straw.

if your drink has a straw, well, you know.

MyTurn2Raise
09-10-2005, 01:35 AM
seriously though, webtender lists ten different ways to make a long island--most are abominations. The right way is listed above, which is not a 'girly' drink.

jakethebake
09-10-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously though, webtender lists ten different ways to make a long island--most are abominations. The right way is listed above, which is not a 'girly' drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep believing that, cutiepie.

Eurotrash
09-10-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever helps you sleep at night, sweetheart. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Matt Williams
09-10-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is pretty much how it is. the guys that like it all seem to be rationalizing "but it's FIVE different kinds of alcohol, that makes it fit for a tough guy"

yeah, what about that tall, slender, gay glass that you get it in? no to mention the straw.

if your drink has a straw, well, you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using your logic, a Hurricane or Anti-Freeze down in NO during Mardi Gras (God Bless them) is a girly drink. Show me a girl that can drink 2 of those and I will show you a girl that is passed out on the ground.

jakethebake
09-10-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Show me a girl that can drink 2 of those and I will show you a girl that is passed out on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

MyTurn2Raise
09-10-2005, 01:39 AM
ah...the anti-freeze...many a bourbon st night forgotten due to that. I'm sure they were fun though

Matt Williams
09-10-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ah...the anti-freeze...many a bourbon st night forgotten due to that. I'm sure they were fun though

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my man, it's a girly drink cause it comes w/ a straw. At least it is according to others.

MyTurn2Raise
09-10-2005, 01:42 AM
time for me to buy a skirt i guess

Eurotrash
09-10-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Using your logic, a Hurricane or Anti-Freeze down in NO during Mardi Gras (God Bless them) is a girly drink. Show me a girl that can drink 2 of those and I will show you a girl that is passed out on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok well don't start going into all of these specialty Mardi Gras drinks on me. the general situation we're talking about (or at least what I'm assuming everybody is thinking) is that you're out at a bar with a bunch of friends and you order your drinks.

how can you deny that a straw in your drink there is not gay? like Jake said, you might as well opt for the Bacardi Limon or, if you're feeling adventurous, the stoli and cranberry juice

Matt Williams
09-10-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok well don't start going into all of these specialty Mardi Gras drinks on me. the general situation we're talking about (or at least what I'm assuming everybody is thinking) is that you're out at a bar with a bunch of friends and you order your drinks.

how can you deny that a straw in your drink there is not gay? like Jake said, you might as well opt for the Bacardi Limon or, if you're feeling adventurous, the stoli and cranberry juice

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I get a rum and coke, I get a straw. My point is, basically any mixed drink you get is going to try to cover the taste of alcohol. I mean yea, a Mudslide or Strawberry Margarita is a girly drink, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't say a Long Island Iced Tea is a girly drink. Speaking of straws, I saw a hot chick at a bar the other night drinking a beer through a straw. She told me she gets drunk quicker. I asked why she just didn't chug it or get a mixed drink. She looked at me like I was the F#cked Up one.

CrazyEyez
09-10-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What if you take out the straw?

Eurotrash
09-10-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Every time I get a rum and coke, I get a straw.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol those thin little things that come with the drinks, despite serving the same function as a straw of tiny diameter, are actually drink stirrers.

Eurotrash
09-10-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok fine, take out the straw and enjoy. I guess this isn't even worth debating any more.

smb394
09-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Many bars will give you a straw with your whiskey on the rocks, but of course it's not for drinking.

FWIW, LI = chicks' drink, deserved or not

Edge34
09-10-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read, at that point you aren't a real man because it doesn't taste like pure gasoline.

W. Deranged
09-10-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
THE LONG ISLAND

Ingredients:
1 part Vodka
1 part Tequila
1 part Rum
1 part Gin
1 part Triple sec
1 1/2 part Sour mix
1 splash Coca-Cola

my favorite drink

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't personally think that a Long Island is really a chick drink. A properly made Long Island has somewhere in the neighborhood of 3-5 oz of alcohol (depending on glass size... I usually make mine with about .75 oz - half shots - of each of the four liquors and a little less triple sec), and should have an alcohol to mixer ratio of about 2 or 3 to 1 (minimum). This is not really "chick-like" in my opinion.

On the other hand, a Long Island is a bad drink.

As with most things in the food or drink realm, the best things thrive on good ingredients and on simplicity. The Long Island has a lot of alcohol, and it is kind of interesting how the flavors seem to cancel out a bit, but it relies on some heavy masking agents (sour mix, coke), and ends up tasting pretty blah even when at its best.

CrazyEyez
09-10-2005, 02:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've read, at that point you aren't a real man because it doesn't taste like pure gasoline.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh heh.
So the question here is what constitutes a chick drink? Seems if it tastes good, it's a chick drink.

DasLeben
09-10-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems if it tastes good, it's a chick drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently so. I suppose that makes all the good beers I enjoy chick drinks too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

CrazyEyez
09-10-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently so. I suppose that makes all the good beers I enjoy chick drinks too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I don't get it. I've always felt chick drink = fruity drink.

Edge34
09-10-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends too. If they're domestic and easily available nationwide, chances are very good you're a dumbass too.

We should really do a thread about that. Something like "What's your favorite beer?" should do quite nicely.

DasLeben
09-10-2005, 02:17 AM
I do drink domestic, but only good non-macrobrews. I enjoy stuff from New Belgium Brewing, Four Peaks Brewing (microbrew here in AZ), and a few other micros.

I move to vote that a "favorite beer" thread be created (again).

W. Deranged
09-10-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do drink domestic, but only good non-macrobrews. I enjoy stuff from New Belgium Brewing, Four Peaks Brewing (microbrew here in AZ), and a few other micros.

I move to vote that a "favorite beer" thread be created (again).

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.