PDA

View Full Version : payment options for medical bills

01-16-2002, 03:34 PM
My father (63 yrs old) underwent brain surgery because of a malignant brain tumor. The medical bills from the surgery came out to over $26000, with the majority of it ($20000) the neurosurgeon's fee.

My father does not have insurance and my parents do not have any income because my father cannot work and my mother stays home to take care of him.

My sister and I are trying to pay the bills off. My father doesn't qualify for medicaid. The state will cover the hospital bills but not the physicians' bills.

Has anyone know of anyone who has had a large medical bill and if the doctor allows payment over time? If we could spread out the payments over time it would be great, but I don't know how long they would be willing to spread it out.

01-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Good for you for trying to find a way to pay the bill instead of trying to get out of it. A lot of people try to duck out on medical bills. I don't have experience in exactly what you are asking, but I do know sometimes doctors will make arrangements for payments. You might want to talk to the doctor. Talk to his office first, but a lot of times doctors don't monitor the business side of their practice. So you might have to go over the head of whoever you talk to on the phone. Don't be shy, there's nothing magic about office policies or anything. They're in business like any other kind of business, they just supply valuable and rare services.

01-16-2002, 10:56 PM
very good for you. you realize that you cannot be held responsible so you are doing it to protect your fathers credit rating. any doctor with a brain will know that getting paid over time is better than getting nothing. let him know thats the case. do not sign or agree to any thing that could make you ultimately liable for the bills. also realize that your parents could be sued for their assets but no likely as the amount may not be enough for them to persue if you are willing to chip away at the bill. good luck you will need it.

01-17-2002, 03:53 AM
actually i dont know anything about this, but since you asked something just popped into my head that i read in the newspaper or something a while ago.

something about life insurance benefits being paid out before death in case of terminal illness.

sorry if this sounds cruel.

good luck and good health for you and your family.

brad