PDA

View Full Version : Is this the right play?

09-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Everyone says to play tight the first rounds of a 10+1, so I would not even play what villian was holding unless I was in the blinds. I complete and flop two pair, should I have folded postflop? I'm just frustrated as I lost over half of my chips, and since I wouldn't normally play a hand like villians I wouldn't have a chance to be on the other side of such a play.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t915)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t790)
Hero (t785)
BB (t710)
UTG (t800)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t15, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t72.50) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t75</font>, BB calls t75, UTG calls t75, MP3 folds, Button folds.

Turn: (t297.50) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150, BB folds.

River: (t597.50) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150.

Final Pot: t897.50

Villian turns over KcTc and I'm hurtin with only 395 chips.

lastchance
09-09-2005, 08:38 PM
I think this is a decent way to play it, but in the SB, once you see the flop, I autocheck quite a large bit of the time, expecting a bet behind me, and then raise it up.

09-09-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a decent way to play it, but in the SB, once you see the flop, I autocheck quite a large bit of the time, expecting a bet behind me, and then raise it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm just a bit frustrated that this leaves me with less than 50% of my starting stack. Besides check raising, is there any way to reduce the impact of this hand without giving up much advantage? I'm not looking to play weak, but hoping to limit variance. Or do I just suck it up and deal with it?

beeyjay
09-09-2005, 09:12 PM
I think you played it the only way you could play it. (though I agree the checkraise when there are that many to the flop is probably how i would play it but that part of the hand doesn't seem to be your concern.)

If it was a higher buyin i think you can safely fold the river bet or maybe go for a blocking bet and throw 75 chips out there or something. with that said I probably call it the way you did anyway cuz at the 11s dude could easily have top pair or something else lame. Basically you can't win every hand and all you can think about is playing it as well as you can. you forced dude to make a mistake postflop by calling your pot sized bet.

I forget how many saw the flop/turn. If 4 or more saw the flop i tend to be wary if the 3rd flush card hits cuz then its just that much more likely somebody has it.

lastchance
09-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Check-call sucks here. There's no way you're folding.

So, bet/3-bet or check-raise are pretty much your only options. You don't need to raise to t400 or anything. T200 should be enough in most cases, and is about what you lost, though you might lose some chips pushing the turn.

unreal_nh
09-09-2005, 09:27 PM
if your going to complete in the small blind with j2o (which i normally dont) i like the bet out on the flop. if your going to check call the scary turn card i dont see how u can fold the river unless its a ginormous bet.

illini43
09-10-2005, 03:07 AM
I also fold this preflop. J2 is a hand that can give you a lot of trouble. However, with the way you played it, I would also bet out a decent amount 2/3-full pot sized bet and am prepared to push it in if re-raised.

tigerite
09-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Surely you can't fold for 5 chips getting a bilion to one odds. But I take lastchance's line here and go for the check-raise. If it checks around I lead the turn

BadMongo
09-10-2005, 08:15 PM
I agree, why would you fold to save 5 chips? I can't see how those 5 chips could give you more EV on future hands.

I'm not sure I like going for a check/raise here. While your hand is likely best right now, its pretty vulnerable. If you check, there's a good chance it will get checked around as people are afraid to bet into a multiway pot, and giving a free card on a draw heavy board like that would be bad a bad idea. I like a 3/4 pot bet here. Once the club hits, I'd slow down as there is a good chance it made someone a flush given the multiway action. I'd try to get to showdown as cheap as possible at this point. I'd check/call any reasonable sized bets.

I think you played it fine.

tigerite
09-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Nah, thing is you're OOP, that's why leading is generally bad because it builds up a huge pot if you get callers, and makes the turn very hard to play. You should always be trying to keep the pot as small as possible so it's more manageable in future streets, whilst at the same time, obviously trying to get chips in when you can with a strong hand. The problem is here, that your hand is actually quite marginal because of the co-ordinated nature of the flop, and the fact it's middle two, which means a 5 for instance can make your hand pretty worthless.

There's also the factor that there's no card on this flop that most of the other players will "like" i.e. no ace so all you will get called by, for the most part, are draws or other jacks. Maybe the occasional TT/99, I guess.

lastchance
09-10-2005, 08:30 PM
People will play TP here, and you're going to be taking at least 2 bets off them.

tigerite
09-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Yes, that too. I don't mind giving them odds to hit the 5 and their 3-outer if they pay for my raise to their flop bet, which is bound to be coming.