PDA

View Full Version : Inducing Bluffs

callydrias
09-09-2005, 07:54 PM
I just read this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3360586&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) and noticed something about it that has bothered me a bit lately while I've been playing.

In the hand, hero leads the flop and turn heads up with an A (assume in his hand he didn't really have trips) and check/folds the river. To me, this play seems to perfectly induce a bluff that we don't want. Is there better way to play a hand like this? On one hand, leading the turn might win you the pot right there, but check/calling the turn and check/folding the river UI seems like it would cut down on the number of bluffs we see on the river. Thoughts?

(This should probably go in HUSH, but I'm already here.)

thesharpie
09-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Against your standard loose passive opponent he's not going to be betting much you're ahead of. We want to bet the turn to avoid giving a free card, which he'll usually take if you are ahead of him. If you was against a habitual bluffer it might be better to check call the turn and river, but against this guy the only reason I'm checking the turn is to fold.