PDA

View Full Version : [Golf] Scramble "strategy"?

offTopic
09-09-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm playing in a 4-person scramble this weekend. I'm not very good, and not clueless - my yahoondicap is 15.8.

I have a sleeve of ProV1's that were a promo gift, but I usually play either Pinnacle Exceptions or Titleist DT So/Los. Would there be any value in hitting the ProV1's on approach shots/par 3s/putts?

ceyoung
09-09-2005, 08:20 PM
play with your normal balls. you aren't going to be gaining much with the pro v. if anything it will go shorter and more sideways.

JTrout
09-09-2005, 09:15 PM
If the greens are rock hard, you might want to hit the pro-v on approach shots.
Otherwise, just play with what you normally do.

Strategy wise, here's the main two things most people fail to do:
Take enough club on approach shots.
Get the putts to the hole on uphillers.

Good luck!

HDPM
09-09-2005, 10:54 PM
In a scramble it is very important to remember to drink a lot.

If your team isn't good, I suggest a pencil with an eraser on it.

I never resort to the pencil. I do resort to the rheumatism medicine. I hate a scramble with guys who fail to drink enough.

Also a cigar or 3 is clinically proven to reduce the average score in a scramble by .6749 strokes.

Sluss
09-10-2005, 08:32 AM
If your the worst person on team just have fun and make a few putts.

Don't worry about being bad, if you pull a shot out of your arse celebrate, but don't try to turn into Tiger Woods and take all day just to shank a shot.

offTopic
09-11-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

7 birds, no bogeys...we tied with another group, but won because of a better back-nine score. W00T!

JTrout
09-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Congrats to you!

Stellastarr
09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

7 birds, no bogeys...we tied with another group, but won because of a better back-nine score. W00T!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheaters. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ceyoung
09-11-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man the last scramble i played in was won by -14, i need to find scrambles like yours.

battschr
09-11-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man the last scramble i played in was won by -14, i need to find scrambles like yours.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was on a winning team last year at -17..and we only won by 1 stroke.

offTopic
09-12-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the course played 6340 or something, 72.0 - 130 with about a 15-20 mph wind blowing most of the afternoon. If someone from a telecom company is going to put up 58, more power to 'em. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

JTrout
09-12-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm playing in a 4-man scramble this afternoon.
Most of these one day fund raiser scrambles have better door prizes than what is awarded for first place.

I've won 2 putters for door prizes this summer. I think my strategy of making a small fold in the door prize ticket is the key to my success! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

offTopic
09-13-2005, 01:34 PM
One other thing that I'm sure is self-evident, but I botched up was checking where we were in the shotgun assignments and which holes are the "special" ones.

We started on a closest-to-the-pin hole, and had I known that, I would've hit a bunch of extra shots on the range with the iron of choice beforehand. As it was, I tugged my tee shot left of the green, and was immediately out of the running. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Bulldog
09-13-2005, 02:30 PM
-7? Wow. I don't think I've ever been in one with a lower winning score than -10. Wind? You get four swings at it, adjust.

dcasper70
09-13-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One other thing that I'm sure is self-evident, but I botched up was checking where we were in the shotgun assignments and which holes are the "special" ones.

We started on a closest-to-the-pin hole, and had I known that, I would've hit a bunch of extra shots on the range with the iron of choice beforehand. As it was, I tugged my tee shot left of the green, and was immediately out of the running. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that!
Played a scramble Friday and started on the long drive hole. My 310's usually take five or six holes to develop... Still cranked it, but into the right hand rough. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bulldog
09-13-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I started on a closest to the pin hole once, stuck a tee shot to 18 inches right at the horn, and it held up the whole day. It was the only shot of mine we used in the first seven holes*, however, so the rest of my day didn't go so well.

*except for the birdie tap-in, of course /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JTrout
09-14-2005, 03:15 AM
we shot -11 and finished 6 back on Monday.
We took 3 mulligans on a 155yd hole and still made bogey!
http://forums.cigarweekly.com/images/smiles/banghead.gif http://forums.cigarweekly.com/images/smiles/puke.gif