PDA

View Full Version : Punishing the donkers

goofball
09-09-2005, 06:22 PM
I raise in LMP with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, only the BB calls. His stats are 24/12/3.41 in 240 hands, we don't have a history that I can recall at this table.

Flop is T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif

He bets, I call planning to raise the turn.

TUrn is A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

He bets, I raise

NLSoldier
09-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I raise the flop because usually when they donk they are planning to bet/3bet. then you can call the 3bet and still raise the turn. also, even if they dont 3bet the flop, they arent going to give you credit for anything based on a measly flop raise. so they will definately payoff with any pair.

STLantny
09-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Im working on my postflop agression, so I will be posting a lot in the next few days, on how to get a handle on things.....If he 3 bets the flop, I call turn when the A hits, if he bets out. Is that terrible.

09-09-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise the flop because usually when they donk they are planning to bet/3bet. then you can call the 3bet and still raise the turn. also, even if they dont 3bet the flop, they arent going to give you credit for anything based on a measly flop raise. so they will definately payoff with any pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
This line of action seems right to me when youre facing the typical hyper aggressive online player(is there any other kind?) Good post

STLantny
09-09-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This line of action seems right to me when youre facing the typical hyper aggressive online player(is there any other kind?) Good post

[/ QUOTE ]

Deeming his stats as being "not that nuts" over a small sample size, does the A make a difference when it hits, on whether you raise or not? If its a non-A I raise, otherwise, Id at least think about thinks a little harder. (Im talking about the turn)

goofball
09-09-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Deeming his stats as being "not that nuts" over a small sample size, does the A make a difference when it hits, on whether you raise or not? If its a non-A I raise, otherwise, Id at least think about thinks a little harder. (Im talking about the turn)

[/ QUOTE ]

That was why I stopped the action there, as I thought it was the most interesting decision. I did think about it quite a bit harder.

Re: the flop play, I agree that raising the flop is good too, I'm pretty sure I take that line more often than I take this one, but plenty of times I find opponents bet the flop with a pair and then drop into checkcall mode when raised.

09-09-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
About that nasty ace hitting the turn. If you are against a predictable weak opponent who will likely call you down with a hand that cannot beat the heros KK, than you should raise. But if you are against a tricky aggressive type who is capable of 3 bet bluff raising you, I would not raise in this spot since I would be uncomfortable calling a reraise. Also If you are against a solid player, you should not raise the turn since if he cant beat your kk he will usually fold to your raise and I think youre better off letting him stay in control and call him down, since the pot is not large enough for him to draw to his 5 outer correctly you make more more money by keeping him in the pot vs raising and forcing him out. Overall I think this strategy of calling down may make you more money than raising the turn since many astute opponents will not call your turn raise if they cant beat the ace, whereas they may still bet the turn and check and call the river, thus making you 2 BB vs just 1 BB when you raise the turn and they fold. But Always keep a lookout for those juicy weak opponents that will call your turn raise in this spot with a hand you can beat and then call your river bet as well, against these type of opponents not raising here would be a mistake. And if you get 3 bet by a weak predictable opponent you can fold knowing you are way behind.

steveyz
09-10-2005, 02:08 AM
Just raise the flop and get played back with a lot of hands (the raise the turn). I'm fairly indifferent to the turn raise.

imashyboi
09-10-2005, 04:22 AM
A person that has a 24/12/3.41 stats isn't way too loose. He's still playing an A here most of the time unless he has a hand that's worth a cold-call. A couple of hands which I might think he'll call in his spot would be, AQs,AJs,ATs,KQs,KTs,QJs,QTs.

I'll go with a check raise on the flop. He's going to call here no matter what so I'm going to make him pay for it. I might slow down on the turn though. If he's real loose and is willing to call down with less than an A then I'll keep him bluffing, he might have an T for all we know. The reason why I hate the check-raise is cause he's real aggressive, I wouldn't know what to do if I get 3bet on the turn. I think you make the most by keeping him in the pot and you loose the least if you are behind.

haakee
09-10-2005, 04:49 AM
You read this wrong. The opponent called in the BB. FWIW, I would just raise the flop.

haakee
09-10-2005, 04:50 AM
You should not be folding if that's what you're implying.

goofball
09-10-2005, 05:08 AM
Like I said, I usually raise the flop too, aren't there good shania reasons for taking the call the flop raise the turn line? Other than when teh A get there /images/graemlins/tongue.gif