PDA

View Full Version : ($16) A more basic hand for Yugo

durron597
09-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Alright, Yugo accused me of only posting ridiculous bluffs or FPS hands, so here's my attempt at a more interesting yet standardish hand to post.

2nd hand no read.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

CO (t1480)
Hero (t1480)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1140)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1360)
MP2 (t1480)
MP3 (t2080)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t20, Hero calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t60</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t180</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP2 calls t120.

Turn: (t480) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t1280 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t1760

citanul
09-09-2005, 05:59 PM
i'd be way less inclined to raise this flop with the universe in the hand and the all diamond flop. otherwise this looks fairly standard i think.

one question i guess: what did you put him on (on the flop, on the turn)?

citanul

The Yugoslavian
09-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Bah...now I have to look at this stupid hand, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Okay....so if I call preflop here then I would call the flop and check out villian's action on the turn and either repop, pop, or fold.

The only problem with raising the flop is that you aren't representing a made flush which one would like to slow the villian down with (as this is a dumb hand to go broke with). So to a good opponent you're just building a pot he can push at on the turn. However, on the flop you have to figure you're hand is best and you may as well charge draws...

Yugoslav

citanul
09-09-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bah...now I have to look at this stupid hand, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Okay....so if I call preflop here then I would call the flop and check out villian's action on the turn and either repop, pop, or fold.

The only problem with raising the flop is that you aren't representing a made flush which one would like to slow the villian down with (as this is a dumb hand to go broke with). So to a good opponent you're just building a pot he can push at on the turn. However, on the flop you have to figure you're hand is best and you may as well charge draws...

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

and so your recommendation as to how the hand should be played is...

citanul

durron597
09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
The flop raise was to shut out any diamonds behind me and to slow down the flop bettor. Clearly that didn't work.

Chaostracize
09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Yugo's post was like the end of 9th Gate.

I think a call is best to see turn action. I'd probably min raise turn if villain bets out. I kind of want to get to showdown and raising here won't really accomplish that.

durron597
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think a call is best to see turn action. I'd probably min raise turn if villain bets out. I kind of want to get to showdown and raising here won't really accomplish that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you want to let any flush draws behind us be priced in?

The Yugoslavian
09-09-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and so your recommendation as to how the hand should be played is...

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold preflop.

If not then call flop bet and fold to a raise from behind. If you are HU on the turn then a minraise would be good if villian just makes a standard continuation bet. I like betting out if checked to. This assumes a relative blank hits on the turn.

I don't like raising the flop even though you may be a head a good deal of the time there b/c the pot then gets quite big and it's difficult to play even non scary turn cards (as happened in this and).

Yugoslav
Who doesn't get the 9th gate reference, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.
<font color="white">Even though he thinks he's seen 9th gate, /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif</font>

lastchance
09-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Folding preflop = teh suck.

Position + implied odds here = own.

However, I do like folding the flop with the universe out there and a 3-flush board.

applejuicekid
09-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Why is this not a fold preflop? I don't see much implied odds in this hand. What are you hoping for that gives you implied odds? I could see an argument for a hand like T9s, but KJo...yuck.

The Yugoslavian
09-09-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Folding preflop = teh suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is sublime...

I stand by folding King Jack not suited here, even if it's Bill Fillmaff's favorite hand. Implied odds don't really figure into this as you're not after a huge hand with KJo, you're basically just trying to get into a pot with position on some donks you can outplay....very little of KJo value comes from it looking like a good hand. In a $16 on Stars I'd say calling here isn't going to be profitable.

There will be plenty of other times to value call my nuts, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Yugoslav