PDA

View Full Version : US Budget Question

lehighguy
09-09-2005, 05:19 PM
On the US Budget is homeland security funding seperate from agency funcing. So if I see $X million for the Department of Energy and then in table S-5 I see $Y million in homeland security funding by agency does that mean that the homeland security funding ($Y) is in addition to the $X or part of $X?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/tables.html

MtSmalls
09-09-2005, 06:39 PM
No, each of the categories is separate. The DHS budget for 2006 is 29.3 billion.

lehighguy
09-09-2005, 06:59 PM
So if I understand you:
Total Dep. of Energy Spending = Dep. of Energy Spending + Homeland Security Dep. of Energy Spending

SheetWise
09-09-2005, 07:46 PM
One of the reasons Reagan considered David Stockman a secret weapon is that he actually understood and retained budget numbers. It's never in one place. There are few, if any, sub-ledgers. Supplemental appropriations are the norm. They don't follow GAAP standards. There is no bottom line. I looked up the same thing a couple days ago, and found State appropriations were separated. I quit after a half hour ... once it's clear they don't want you to know, you're not going to know easily -- and there will always be several ways of defining it. If one party says funding was cut -- and the opposition says it was increased -- I'm very confident that they're both right.