PDA

View Full Version : Ice cold beer

Al P
09-09-2005, 04:19 PM
What exactly makes this taste so much better than warm beer?

Why do foods like spaghetti taste so much better when warm or hot than when cold?

phage
09-09-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Why do foods like spaghetti taste so much better when warm or hot than when cold?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cold spaghetti can be quite delicious...Very sauce dependent though...

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Placebo.

STLantny
09-09-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A question for the ages, unless you European, wouldnt most be sick at the sight of cold beer?

09-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Ice cold beer is the best.
As far as food that is good cold - fried chicken.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ice cold beer is the best.
As far as food that is good cold - fried chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]
And pizza and Lasagna.. basically anything italian.

Mexican food sucks cold!

Freakin
09-09-2005, 04:29 PM
I met a medic at a summer camp I was at when I was a kid who insisted that hot coca cola worked just as good as epikak.

Freakin

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Beer at 38F is much, much, much better than beer at 32F. Unless you're drinking a macro, in which case colder is better.

HopeydaFish
09-09-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Warm beer resembles urine a bit too much for my liking. Cold beer doesn't resemble urine. Well, most cold beers don't, anyway.

BruinEric
09-09-2005, 04:32 PM
I'll assume you're talking about standard lagers here. Other beers amongst us beer geeks are meant to NOT be consumed at ICE COLD temps. I won't get sidetracked with a better-beer conversation here.

Temperature dramatically effects how we taste food. For example, cold mutes how we taste sweetness. I can't speak for the science of it, but it's plainly noticeable to me.

Try an ICE COLD beer and a luke-warm beer side-by-side. The warmer beer will taste sweeter because the malty sweetness will be more discernable to your palate at that temperature.

Similarly, take a pure ice cream without scary additives (say, Breyers or some such) and leave some in a bowl to completely melt. You might be surprised how sweet it is -- some items are almost sickeningly sweet when not icy cold (i.e. McDonald's Shakes).

There may be other factors at play in when you taste beer warm vs. cold as well. For example, your tastes of warm beer were probably also flat and missed out on the effect the carbonated mouthfeel has on your judgement of flavor.

Al P
09-09-2005, 04:32 PM
And both are infinitely better than beer at 75F.

Why?

Al P
09-09-2005, 04:34 PM
Ahhh, it's sweetness. Easily noticable now that you mention it.

How about water though?

MrTrik
09-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Ice cold straight out of a cooler with lots of ice. That's the best IMO. Or move it from the fridge to the freezer for 10 mins or so, just not too long since beer with ice in it sucks bad.

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Very cold mutes other flavors besides just sweetness. At about 38-40, a lot more of the flavors of the beer come through. This isn't a big deal for macro brews, since they aren't really designed to be flavorful in the first place. But if you try two of the same craft brew, one at 32 and one at 38, you'll be able to see what I mean very easily.

SL__72
09-09-2005, 04:45 PM
I ate a cold cheesy gordita crunch a few days ago and it was delicious.

CrazyEyez
09-09-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It has to do with the laws of thermodynamics. This is why warm spaghetti freezes faster than cold beer.

skipperbob
09-09-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It has to do with the laws of thermodynamics. This is why warm spaghetti freezes faster than cold beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gifAnd I'll bet your parents think they are wasting the money they spend (spent) for your education...The "speed" at which anything freezes depends 100% on how fast you can remove enough heat to lower the temperature to the freezing point of the substance in question....Maybe warm spagetti doesn't have as much alcohol as cold beer and, therefore, reaches its freezing point more quickly /images/graemlins/confused.gif

kyro
09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gifAnd I'll bet your parents think they are wasting the money they spend (spent) for your education...The "speed" at which anything freezes depends 100% on how fast you can remove enough heat to lower the temperature to the freezing point of the substance in question....Maybe warm spagetti doesn't have as much alcohol as cold beer and, therefore, reaches its freezing point more quickly /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SB, that whooshing sound you heard was the sound of something flying over your head.

Lazymeatball
09-09-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Warm beer resembles urine a bit too much for my liking. Cold beer doesn't resemble urine. Well, most cold beers don't, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is just because you associate urine with warm temperatures. Try drinking your urine at about 35 F and you might like it better.

HopeydaFish
09-09-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is just because you associate urine with warm temperatures. Try drinking your urine at about 35 F and you might like it better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to try that, but my girlfriend doesn't like me keeping my urine in the fridge.

Quicksilvre
09-09-2005, 09:55 PM
I drink hot cola, and I've never thrown up.