PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend me some wine.

Colonel Kataffy
09-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I need two bottles of white wine or champagn. I don't drink it and don't know anything about it. I'm looking to spend around 40 to 80 bucks. Any suggestions?

jaydub
09-09-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need two bottles of white wine or champagn. I don't drink it and don't know anything about it. I'm looking to spend around 40 to 80 bucks. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pick a number and provide a context.

Cancer Merchant
09-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Franzia at $10 a box. Go with one of the varietals; the generic flavors are brutal. Should last all weekend.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Franzia at $10 a box. Go with one of the varietals; the generic flavors are brutal. Should last all weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

A true connoisseur!

xadrez
09-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Carlo Rossi "Paisano"

STLantny
09-09-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Carlo Rossi "Paisano"

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlo Rossi "Sangria"

I really love this stuff. 6.50$ for a GALLON.

Colonel Kataffy
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Im going to a familly dinner for an aunts birthday kind of thing. I was asked to pickup 2 bottles of white wine or champagn. I don't want to look like a i picked up the cheapest thing (I was told just don't get boxed) i could find, but i don't want to spend over a hundred bucks. Its not that big of deal though.

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't want to spend over a hundred bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

$100 for 2 bottles of wine? Plenty of decent stuff <$40/2 bottles. Ask the guy at the wine store.

Benal
09-09-2005, 04:32 PM
White wine? Gag

jaydub
09-09-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im going to a familly dinner for an aunts birthday kind of thing. I was asked to pickup 2 bottles of white wine or champagn. I don't want to look like a i picked up the cheapest thing (I was told just don't get boxed) i could find, but i don't want to spend over a hundred bucks. Its not that big of deal though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with white wine. Pick up any Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc from Napa or Sonoma that has a nice looking bottle and an impressive sounding name. Clos du Bois tastes good plus it has a fancy french name with a fancy bottle. Don't spend more than 30 / bottle, it won't be worth it. Don't spend less than 10 / bottle either though.

Colonel Kataffy
09-09-2005, 04:38 PM
thanks

jaydub
09-09-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, if you think she might have actually said "sparkling white wine" but you just weren't listening well, you better get the champagne. Veuve Cliquot is french and sounds fancy. Get that if you can, the cheapest one from that winery they have.

Shajen
09-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Frog's leap is good stuff.

about $25 a bottle. Try the sauvignon blanc.

xadrez
09-09-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Carlo Rossi "Paisano"

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlo Rossi "Sangria"

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding me? Paisano will give you a MUCH better hangover...

STLantny
09-09-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Carlo Rossi "Paisano"

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlo Rossi "Sangria"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sangria tastes so good though (never had paisano), I don think anything will beat it. I dont know how Ill ever go back to drinking "good" wine.

SL__72
09-09-2005, 04:48 PM
We have taken to calling it "jug-o-wine." Best if you drink it directly out of the jug like you are a cowboy attacking a jug of whiskey.

Al P
09-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Look for some Les Oeufs de Merde circa 1982.

Cancer Merchant
09-09-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Carlo Rossi "Paisano"

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlo Rossi "Sangria"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sangria tastes so much good though (never had paisano), I don think anything will beat it. I dont know how Ill ever go back to drinking "good" wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I suggest the 2005 Boone's Farm, replete with fruity character.

STLantny
09-09-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Carlo Rossi "Paisano"

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlo Rossi "Sangria"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sangria tastes so much good though (never had paisano), I don think anything will beat it. I dont know how Ill ever go back to drinking "good" wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

May I suggest the 2005 Boone's Farm, replete with fruity character.

[/ QUOTE ]

boones farm is for girls. Carlo Rossi, is for old italian guys that rarely wear shirts, yet still have suspenders on.

Ulysses
09-09-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to the grocery store and buy two bottles of Chardonnay that cost $20 or more each. They will be plenty good for a dinner like this. (Plenty of $10 and less bottles are also very good, but that requires some degree of knowledge or assistance). If you go over $30 per bottle, you will be looking at some very nice bottles of white wine.

Domaine Chandon/Piper Sonoma/Gloria Ferrer/Mumm are a few brands of decent sparkling wines in the $15-20 range. If you want a nice champagne for a reasonable price, you can get Veuve Clicquot for $35-40 a bottle.

djoyce003
09-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I'll second the vote for spending about $20 on chardonnay at a store that has a decent wine selection...they'll be plenty good for this gathering. Chardonnays grown in the russian river valley tend to be very yummy...Belvedere Rusian River Valley is pretty good.

If you want champagne/sparkling wine, Moet White Star is pretty good.

cadillac1234
09-09-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Domestic

Tattinger Domaine Carnerros is very good as well as Gloria Fedderreereerr's sparkling wine.

White Wine-wise Benzinger makes an awsome Chardonay from their Ricci Vineyard. Only problem is you have to drive to Glen Ellen (Sonoma) to get it. Sterling Vineyards also has a nice Chardonay (winery only).

Kunde Vineyards is alright ($10/bottle) and you can find it everywhere.

Import

A nice Vernaccia di San Gimiganigo or Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio goes well on a hot summer day.

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Just asking the guy at your local liquor store (if its big enough, ask if they have a wine guy, specifically) will be more than enough to get you a couple decent bottles, and easier than writing down all of these suggestions and searching for them.

jaydub
09-09-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just asking the guy at your local liquor store (if its big enough, ask if they have a wine guy, specifically) will be more than enough to get you a couple decent bottles, and easier than writing down all of these suggestions and searching for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, them bitches lie and sell you what they have too much of.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with white wine. Pick up any Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc from Napa or Sonoma that has a nice looking bottle and an impressive sounding name. Clos du Bois tastes good plus it has a fancy french name with a fancy bottle. Don't spend more than 30 / bottle, it won't be worth it. Don't spend less than 10 / bottle either though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if your gonna go with this area.. go with Clos Pegas or Cakebread if you can find it. Well priced and better than average for both although Clos Pegas may be a bit hard to find.

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nah, them bitches lie and sell you what they have too much of.

[/ QUOTE ]
Be skilled in differentiating between advice and a sales pitch.

Slow Play Ray
09-09-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Domaine Chandon/Piper Sonoma/Gloria Ferrer/Mumm are a few brands of decent sparkling wines in the $15-20 range.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You can get a whole bunch of Mumms...?"

lgas
09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
If you have a Harris Teeter near you, you can just go there and either ask for assistance or just pick out two bottles that are in your price range that have the rating displayed on a sticker near them on the shelf... there are plenty of bottles that get ratings in the high 80's or low 90's in that price range, and they'll be good (enough).

Jersey Nick
09-09-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well if your gonna go with this area.. go with Clos Pegas or Cakebread if you can find it. Well priced and better than average for both although Clos Pegas may be a bit hard to find.

[/ QUOTE ]
If your Aunt knows anything about wine you'll want to head toward $25.00/bottle so she remembers you in her will. Right on with the Cakebread. I would also say Grgich Hills, but it may be a bit too pricey.

skipperbob
09-09-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Domaine Chandon/Piper Sonoma/Gloria Ferrer/Mumm are a few brands of decent sparkling wines in the $15-20 range. If you want a nice champagne for a reasonable price, you can get Veuve Clicquot for $35-40 a bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody knows their wine...Piper Sonoma, properly chilled & served in CLEAN cold fluted glasses can pass for DonnieP anytime /images/graemlins/blush.gif

lighterjobs
09-09-2005, 06:18 PM
classy.

http://www.lovotti.com/brochures/Images/Franzia%20Chillable%20Red.jpg

Hamish McBagpipe
09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
http://www.winerackstore.com/images/wino-sign.jpg

MrTrik
09-09-2005, 06:45 PM
LeCrema and Diamond (sometimes labled Copolla, yeah that Copolla) should run you in the $15-20 range each. Very decent Chardonnays. Other decent but not too pricey Chardonnays include Kendall Jackson, Blackstone, Clos Dubios.

If you want to go lighter, try a Clos Dubios Savignon Blanc or a Hogue. Similar in price and a very good wine for the price. One Chardonnay and one Blanc would be a nice way to go too.

I'd offer something foriegn but I don't know much about them. Just starting to try some out.

SomethingClever
09-09-2005, 06:53 PM
This stuff is awesome.

Owen Roe Winery - Sinister Hand (http://www.northwest-wine.com/owen-roe-Sininster-Hand.html)

SomethingClever
09-09-2005, 07:27 PM
More info on Sinister Hand (a manly wine to be sure)

[ QUOTE ]
The label is a depiction of a severed left hand that tells the story of a rowing competition among the O’Neills and O’Reillys (Owen Roe was an O’Neill). Whoever touched land first after rowing across the lake was rewarded with the land he touched. Lagging behind, one of the kinsfolk grabs his sword and cleaves his hand and pitches it ashore to touch land first. He won the land and eventually ruled over it as king.

[/ QUOTE ]

loose passive
09-09-2005, 08:04 PM
http://www.stagsleapwinery.com/images/btl_04chard.jpg

Cancuk
09-09-2005, 08:10 PM
for a nice chardonnay, go with Casillero del Diablo, a Chilean White. If you want get a trendy there's a german (or maybe it's austrian) white called, something like "wesien-heller"...it's exquiste..yet a little expensive.

cheers

Luv2DriveTT
09-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Be origional, get a Viognet... its the hot new whitegrape with a full body flavor ala a white version of a super tuscany.

May I recomend Darioush (Nappa Valley) - 2002 - $45/bottle. Its easilly worth 3x the cost, its a steal.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

SammyKid11
09-09-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look for some Les Oeufs de Merde circa 1982.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope this guy didn't actually go looking for this wine. What our man just told OP to look for is literally, "The Eggs of [censored]" or "the shitty eggs" circa 1982. Nice!

cwsiggy
09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
2005 Two Hands The Wolf Clare Valley Riesling

Mayhap
09-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Saint Clement chardonnay - Napa Valley

Really good and won't break you.

HopeydaFish
09-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Millions of bums can't all be wrong:

http://www.bumwine.com/bumwine/bot_5_t.jpg

private joker
09-10-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want a nice champagne for a reasonable price, you can get Veuve Clicquot for $35-40 a bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you finding Veuve Cliquot for that cheap? At Greenblatt's in L.A. it's $55.

jaydub
09-10-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you want a nice champagne for a reasonable price, you can get Veuve Clicquot for $35-40 a bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you finding Veuve Cliquot for that cheap? At Greenblatt's in L.A. it's $55.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which label? That is the diff.

cdxx
09-10-2005, 01:43 AM
fetzer riesling or gerwurztraminer for a sweeter taste (sp).

BretWeir
09-10-2005, 02:22 AM
Kim Crawford (http://winelibrary.com/reviewwine.asp?item=24015) Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand is my favorite under-$15 white. It's a pretty serious wine, but it's unoaked and fruity, so it goes with lots of food and appeals to non-wine drinkers too. And it's pretty easy to find, at least on the East Coast. (Don't get scared by the screw cap -- it doesn't mean it's cheap or bad, that's just the way they're making most NZ whites now, even the good ones.)

Like a couple of others have said, Domaine Chandon and Gloria Ferrer Brut are excellent under-$20 sparking wines.

BretWeir
09-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Also, for about $20 a bottle, the Eroica (http://www.wine.com/wineshop/product_detail.asp?PProduct_ID=SWS114567_2004&Nu=p _family_name) Riesling from Chateau Ste. Michelle will knock your socks off.

MortalNuts
09-10-2005, 02:47 AM
Try a bottle of Conundrum. White wine, American, $30 plus or minus $7 depending on what state you're in. Fruity (viognier-ish, don't recall if it actually is a viognier blend).

I'm not much of a champagne afficionado, but I like Perrier-Jouet if you're really intent on spending a decent amount of money. Otherwise just go with some Spanish cava.

As a side note, you really shouldn't feel compelled to spend anything more than the lower end of your estimate ($40) for two bottles of wine. There are plenty of great wines at that price (and cheaper, though these are harder to find).

cheers,

mn

sfer
09-11-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Be origional, get a Viognet... its the hot new whitegrape with a full body flavor ala a white version of a super tuscany.

May I recomend Darioush (Nappa Valley) - 2002 - $45/bottle. Its easilly worth 3x the cost, its a steal.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Viognier (pronounced vee-own-yay). I find them better in their original form as Northern Rhone Valley whites when they are more acidic.

peachy
09-11-2005, 05:10 PM
i usually drink Far Niente

smokingrobot
09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Some good 10-15 dollar bottles are Ecco Domani and Yellowtail.

But i'll drink almost anything and i know little to nothing about serious wines.

MrTrik
09-11-2005, 05:48 PM
For bubbly I like Mumm's quite a bit for around $30-35. I typically go for the extra dry, though the Brut is nice also.

theben
09-11-2005, 05:52 PM
look for some canadian ice wines (made from frozen grapes). they seem to be very trendy right now.