PDA

View Full Version : Am I being results-oriented?

JimmyV
04-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Paradise Poker 3-6. Table is generally loose with some aggression.

I'm in the BB with 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . Someone posts UTG, UTG+1 raises, one cold-caller, MP (generally reasonable with occasional variance play) re-raises, one caller to me, and I fold getting 233 to 1.

Anyone else make this laydown?

The reason I ask is that the flop was 6 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . The winning hand was LMP's Q6o for a turned two pair and a seat in a freeroll for a WSOP trip worth $14K.

Comments?

Game #298400000 - $3/$6 Texas Hold'em - 2003/04/27-16:30:37 (CST)
Table "Napuka" (real money) -- Seat 7 is the button
Seat 1: 1mikeyk1 ($93 in chips)
Seat 2: pauper ($217.50 in chips)
Seat 3: biapot ($203 in chips)
Seat 5: liwenz ($32 in chips)
Seat 6: poosygalore ($187 in chips)
Seat 7: WIJGalt ($170 in chips)
Seat 8: Richard D ($153 in chips)
Seat 9: JimmyV ($689 in chips)
Richard D: Post Small Blind ($1)
JimmyV : Post Big Blind ($3)
1mikeyk1: Post ($3)
Dealing...
Dealt to JimmyV [ 3s ]
Dealt to JimmyV [ 4c ].

(By the way, playing two tables at once can be costly. And avoid those in-turn checkboxes!)

MarkD
04-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Since the hand was for chance at the WSOP freeroll I would call preflop. If the hand is taken on it's own merits it's a good fold.

SoBeDude
04-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Aw jimmy. sorry about your luck bud! with 14K on the line I'd have called down any two cards to the showdown. And to think you would have won, too!

Better luck next time!

-Scott

Bob T.
04-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Yes you are being results oriented. Nice fold.

JimmyV
04-28-2003, 11:19 AM
I think you're not getting the joke, Bob!

I give myself actually a 1 in 3 shot at winning a single-table no-limit tournament against randoms. That means this hand was worth something more like $4600, rather than the $1400 equity I used in calculating my pot odds ex post.

The point of the story is that I didn't realize it was the magic hand, and just clicked Fold/Check without a second thought.

As a buddy of mine put it, "regret theory has something to say about the real utility cost of throwing away such an opportunity for the price of a few soft tacos.... Don't worry, though: the chance to flop the near-nuts during a needle-in-haystack hand with $2 million on the line should present itself at least 3 more times before the sun becomes a full-blown red giant and swallows up the earth with server-melting plasma."

Bob T.
04-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Sorry, haven't been playing on paradise lately, didn't understand about the magic hand thing. During one of their promotions, a friend of mine was at a 1-2 table where the winner of the pot would win $1000. He folded some piece of cheese preflop, and then would have flopped trips, and turned a full house. Oh well.

Barry
04-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Yes, you are. My, "If I had only called preflop" story follows.

Saturday night playing 10/20 at Foxwoods, I folded 76 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif in EP after UTG raised. Of course the flop had 54 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and the turn was 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . There was a lot of action in the hand. What won I don't remember, as I left the table after the turn to go bang my head against the wall.

Inthacup
04-28-2003, 02:26 PM
The point of the story is that I didn't realize it was the magic hand, and just clicked Fold/Check without a second thought.

Being that it was the special hand, I think I'd gamble a little and either call or cap(just to say I did). But since you didn't realize it until after the fact, the only results you have to draw from are based on your own lack of attention. I don't know the specifics of the freeroll, but it seems pretty limited based on winners of specific hands. If it was a 1000 player qualifier where the top 2 went, then I'd fold. But if it was a limited freeroll, then sure, play the hand.