PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding spelling

spamuell
09-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Quite frequently when I see someone who I only know online spell a common word incorrectly (and it's clear that it's not a typo or just a shortening of the word so it's quicker to type), I think of them as less intelligent (unless English is not their first language, in which case I'm just amazed at their proficiency at all in comparison to my complete ineptitude at anything that's not English).

Firstly, everyone else thinks this too, right? Just to be clear btw I'm talking about people who I only know online, because when you know someone in person it's generally easier to gauge how intelligent you think they are.

Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider they might be British?

It bothers me slightly, I suppose, that people might be judging that I've made spelling errors when I haven't. Yes, I care too much about this, you don't need to tell me this.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 02:15 PM
I think you're dumb because you can't spell properly. Take that however you will.

Freakin
09-09-2005, 02:22 PM
I think people who spell color with a 'u' are less intelligent. Does that count?

steelcmg
09-09-2005, 02:23 PM
i spell words different all the time cuz im to lazy to think most of the time. So how ever i think it sounds is how it gets spelled. So i guess im stupid

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider they might be British?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both

DasLeben
09-09-2005, 02:26 PM
I consider someone less intelligent if they use "your, you're" incorrectly (which I see a lot). This also applies to usage of "there, their, they're."

Also people who spell words exactly like they sound are stupid too. Or German. Or both.

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I consider someone less intelligent if they use "your, you're" incorrectly (which I see a lot). This also applies to usage of "there, their, they're."

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget "mah"

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 02:28 PM
If you can't be bothered with spelling, pronunciation, and basic grammar, I definitely think of you as less intelligent. If you use "lol," "u," or one of the thousands of other AOLisms, I peg you as being less intelligent and a 14-year old girl. Ditto for excessive use of smileys.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also people who spell words exactly like they sound are stupid too. Or German. Or both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or how about all of the people around here in other forums who constantly use "loose" instead of "lose" or vice-versa..

TStoneMBD
09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
if i see someone make a blatant spelling error in one of their posts, i automatically think less of that person. some spelling errors go against you more than others.

if you say that someone's logic is rediculous, i ignore you.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 02:31 PM
i think if it makes the sentence incomprehensible, it gets on my nerves.

i know i just spelled "there" as "their" in a previous post, but decided not change it.

i also never proof readed a paper i've written in my life.

maybe you would like that "eats, shoots, and leaves" book.

its all about small grammatical errors and the such.

the first paragraph describes a situation where store sign reads: CD's! Video's! Electronic's!

and then the author writes, "if this doesnt get on your nerves, put this book down now."

so i did.

Hamish McBagpipe
09-09-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quite frequently when I see someone , who I only know online , (punc. -1) spell a common word incorrectly (and it's clear that it's not a typo (shortened form, -1) or just a shortening of the word so it's quicker to type), I think of them as less intelligent (unless English is not their first language, in which case I'm just amazed at their proficiency at all in comparison to my complete ineptitude at anything that's not English). (Awk. -1, run-on, -1)

Firstly, everyone else thinks this too, right? Just to be clear btw (-1) I'm talking about people who I only know online, because when you know someone in person it's generally easier to gauge how intelligent you think they are. (Awk. -1)

Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider that (-1) they might be British?

It bothers me slightly, I suppose, that people might be judging that I've made spelling errors when I haven't. Yes, I care too much about this, you don't need to tell me this.
(Overuse of contractions and awk. again. -1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabby, 2/10, resubmit.

Shajen
09-09-2005, 02:50 PM
I try to spell everything I type online correctly.

I'm also the International Spelling Bee champion AND an International Man of Mystery.

If you add the "u" to color or spell tire "tyre", you're British unless proven guilty.

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i see someone make a blatant spelling error in one of their posts, i automatically think less of that person. some spelling errors go against you more than others.

[/ QUOTE ]
Either my sarcasm detector is off, or you're an idiot.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone's definitely being ridiculous here.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quite frequently when I see someone , who I only know online , (punc. -1) spell a common word incorrectly (and it's clear that it's not a typo (shortened form, -1) or just a shortening of the word so it's quicker to type), I think of them as less intelligent (unless English is not their first language, in which case I'm just amazed at their proficiency at all in comparison to my complete ineptitude at anything that's not English). (Awk. -1, run-on, -1)

Firstly, everyone else thinks this too, right? Just to be clear btw (-1) I'm talking about people who I only know online, because when you know someone in person it's generally easier to gauge how intelligent you think they are. (Awk. -1)

Anyway, for those of you who do this, if you see someone write a word like "realise", "analyse" or "tyre", do you tend to assume they don't know how to spell or do you consider that (-1) they might be British?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabby, 2/10, resubmit.

[/ QUOTE ]
English majors are more stupid than normal people who occasionally misspell.

Soul Daddy
09-09-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course. I think of anyone who doesn't consider this as less intelligent.

Hamish McBagpipe
09-09-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shabby, 2/10, resubmit.

[/ QUOTE ]

English majors are more stupid than normal people who occasionally misspell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am are not more stupid coz I am'n't an English major tho I am'm univrity...unversty...unvirstity....kolledge edukated.

jason_t
09-09-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not sarcasm and he's not an idiot....

Amid Cent
09-09-2005, 06:43 PM
I once spelled Yale with a 9.

tom441lbk
09-09-2005, 08:39 PM
S.O.B. i scanned you sh!t looking for misspelled words like a mofo and couldn't find anythign to make fun of you, and yes i am a spelling freak(once uil speller district champs) so i do this all the time, i really don't consider people to be less intelligent if they spell something wrong, my dad is a very intelligent person(did i just say that) but he can't spell 'the' to save his life(little over exaggeration) but....lost my train of though hahaha, some people just don't care about spelling or grammar, ESPECIALLY online

tom