PDA

View Full Version : Putting Coke in Freezer to cool faster?

ScottyP431
09-09-2005, 01:18 PM
Somehow I seem to attract people who love to argue over whether a soda can will in fact get cold quicker if you put it into the freezer instead of the fridge. After having just listened to two of my friends basically scream at each other for almost an hour and not come up with a more nuanced argument than "it does" " it doesn't" I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some science to shut them up.

I'm familliar with google, I did several searches and found nothing of note.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
it's colder in the freezer, therefore the heat in the coke gets drawn out faster, and the coke cools faster.

maybe?

STLantny
09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
are your friends "special"?

OF COURSE it will get faster in the freezer, tell them to look up heat transfer etc.

jojobinks
09-09-2005, 01:20 PM
ummmm...a freezer is colder than a fridge. things get colder faster in cooler environs?

i guess i'm missing something.

UCF THAYER
09-09-2005, 01:20 PM
A freezer is colder than a fridge, therefore it will cool its objects faster.

Alobar
09-09-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Somehow I seem to attract people who love to argue over whether a soda can will in fact get cold quicker if you put it into the freezer instead of the fridge. After having just listened to two of my friends basically scream at each other for almost an hour and not come up with a more nuanced argument than "it does" " it doesn't" I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some science to shut them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have some dumb friends.

do a science experiment and find out for yourself. Have your friends bet large sums of money on it. (make sure and put your money on the freezer).

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 01:21 PM
This clearly belongs in the Trainwreck.

jnalpak
09-09-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is kind of tough to do so bear with me:
you need the following:
2 cans of coke
2 thermometers
1 stop watch type thing

put the cans in the fridge and freezer at the same time..hit the start or go button on the stop watch and then after said time take them out and put the thermometers in them....

i cant believe i just wasted my time writing this

Huhmare
09-09-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have some dumb friends.

do a science experiment and find out for yourself. Have your friends bet large sums of money on it. (make sure and put your money on the freezer).

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point I propably draw myself out of betting. There is always some catch and it's -EV to bet for the obvious choice...

I believe the freezer is the right choice, but you never know....

Los Feliz Slim
09-09-2005, 01:23 PM
1/4 of the times I've done this, I've forgotten I did it and had to spend an hour cleaning my freezer.

So I stopped doing it.

durron597
09-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Newton's Law of Cooling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_cooling)

Basically what it says is that the farther the object's temperature is from the ambient tempeture, the exponentially faster it approaches the ambient temperature. So as an object gets closer, it slows down.

Thus, if you put the soda can in the freezer it has farther to go and thus cools faster.

ScottyP431
Its not a question of "is the fridge faster", its "is the freezer noticeably quicker". Since the differance in temperature is around like 17 degrees, it has been argued (normally by the smarter of the two people arguing which is what threw me initially) that the differance is negligable. It has also been claimed ( and i have no idea the truth to this) that the aluminum can limits the speed at which heat can be drawn out, meaning unless the temperature differential was much greater, there would be no differance. As people apparently aren't convinced by "its colder, duh" i was hoping someone knew a more scientiffic/detailed explanation.

CrazyEyez
Have one friend jump in a pool of 50-degree water and the other in a pool of 35-degree water and see which gets hypothermia first.

gulebjorn
09-09-2005, 01:27 PM
It's simple really. Heat transfer depends on a few things: the temperature gradient, the "heat resistance" of the material it passes through, and the heat resistance of the transitions between different materials.

so in this case: the heat resistance of the transition between fridge - coke can (ex. it could be benificial to stack frozen stuff around the can)

the resistance of the can (nothing you can do bout that)

the heat condictivity of the fluid itself (eg. it could cool faster if you take it out every now and then and stir the fluid a little)

the temperature gradient: the bigger the difference between temp of the fluid and the environment, the better the heat transfer

So yeah, it cools faster in the freezer.

J.A.Sucker
09-09-2005, 01:27 PM
The freezer is cold, for sure, so yeah.

Better yet is to get ice water mixed with salt. If you do this, the water gets much colder (freezing point depression) and the fact that it's liquid on the metal can gives you better heat transfer than the freezer.

Better still is to use rubbing alcohol in ice. This gets quite cold, and I don't think the rubbing alcohol is too bad for you to have in contact with your can of coke. You could use cheap vodka or everclear, too, but that's a waste of booze.

offTopic
09-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Obviously the freezer will cool the soda faster...I mean, there's no light in the freezer, right? So, when you shut the door and the light stays on in the fridge (you know, lights emit heat, right, like when you touch a lit light bulb - OUCH!) the light prevents the soda from cooling as fast as the freezer. Now, if you removed the light bulb from inside the fridge, it might be close.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have one friend jump in a pool of 50-degree water and the other in a pool of 35-degree water and see which gets hypothermia first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prop bet? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CrazyEyez
09-09-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My money's on the tennis pro.

Clearly the question should be whether it is harder to drink a gallon of milk that has been in the freezer for 15 minutes than one that has been in the fridge.

kyro
09-09-2005, 01:32 PM
I would think you would need a degree in physics/chemistry to really know the answer.

Or you could just not be a [censored] dumbass. Of course it gets colder faster. You've got dumb friends.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Newton's Law of Cooling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_cooling)

Basically what it says is that the farther the object's temperature is from the ambient tempeture, the exponentially faster it approaches the ambient temperature. So as an object gets closer, it slows down.

Thus, if you put the soda can in the freezer it has farther to go and thus cools faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but this is only true when the test objects are the same temp. I had an idiot of a friend in college (no idea how he even got accepted) who used this to try and prove that hot water will freeze faster than cold water if we put them in the freezer. I laughed and laughed. He was so adamant about it that we decided to run an experiment, but not before I got my bet in for a week of lunch. Let's just say that the following week, my food bills were a lot less!

There are many sudies about this and in fact many do show that warmer water DOES in fact freeze faster than colder water SOMETIMES depending on the situations. This is called the Mpemba effect. But my friend was an idiot and REALLY wanted to prove his point so he put his water in the microwave for 5 minutes to get it almost boiling and I took mine out of the water jug in the fridge. It wasn't even a fair fight! I did not give him any clue that he was actually onto something as he was taking something he heard and making it extreme which blew the properties of the effect out of proportion.

HopeydaFish
09-09-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The freezer is cold, for sure, so yeah.

Better yet is to get ice water mixed with salt. If you do this, the water gets much colder (freezing point depression) and the fact that it's liquid on the metal can gives you better heat transfer than the freezer.

[/ QUOTE ]

They did this test on Myth Busters last season. They were trying to determine the quickest way to chill beer. The myth was that you could chill beer the quickest by burying it in sand, pouring gasoline on the sand, then lighting the gasoline on fire. The theory was that the fire would draw the heat out of the sand and chill the beer. Predictably, all they ended up with was beer cans that smelled like gasoline containing beer that wasn't any colder.

They also tested a bunch of other ways to chill beer in order to find the best method. The best method by far was to use saltwater and ice.

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My money's on the tennis pro.

Clearly the question should be whether it is harder to drink a gallon of milk that has been in the freezer for 15 minutes than one that has been in the fridge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does he have to benchpress his bodyweight while doing it?

peterchi
09-09-2005, 01:40 PM
It definitely cools faster in the freezer.

However, the thermal conductivity of air is very small. I'm not sure if this was the reason that your friend was thinking that it wouldn't be faster. It still will be, but there's an even faster way.

The thermal conductivity of solids/liquids is much greater. This is why putting the soda into a cold water bath with ice (i.e. in a cooler) will chill it much much faster than fridge or freezer.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Do your friends have one of those weird freezers that are actually warmer than the fridge? Do they not know the difference between hot and cold? Do they believe the fridge and the freezer are magical black boxes?

I suggest a prop bet involving two identical cans of pop (yes, pop), a thermometer, a refridgerator, and a freezer set to a temperature noticeably colder than the refridgerator. Be sure to have the experiment run for a long enough time to get significant cooling, but not long enough to reach stable temperature. Maybe you'd be well-served to heat the pop up a bit in order to give yourself a greater temperature gradient and more obvious results. It also might be interesting to have another prop bet to see which can heats up faster - the one above the burner on low and the one above the burner at max power. It might also be entertaining if watched from a distance and with the proper safety equipment. A third bit of fun could be to superheat the pop cans and quench them in a bucket of ice. The possibilities are endless if you've got a couple idiots willing to carry them out.

If you'll let me get in on the betting, I'd like to wager a significant amount of money on the freezer cooling the pop faster than the refridgerator.

codewarrior
09-09-2005, 01:43 PM
What was the experiement? Everyone knows hot water freezes faster.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

read my edit. I think he actually may have heard it from a friend and I talking about it. He was really suprised I was against him on this. I got him to break the parameters which allow the Mpemba effect to occur.

CrazyEyez
09-09-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are many sudies about this and in fact many do show that warmer water DOES in fact freeze faster than colder water SOMETIMES depending on the situations. This is called the Mpemba effect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate? Or I guess I could google.

MrMon
09-09-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not a question of "is the fridge faster", its "is the freezer noticeably quicker". Since the differance in temperature is around like 17 degrees, it has been argued (normally by the smarter of the two people arguing which is what threw me initially) that the differance is negligable. It has also been claimed ( and i have no idea the truth to this) that the aluminum can limits the speed at which heat can be drawn out, meaning unless the temperature differential was much greater, there would be no differance. As people apparently aren't convinced by "its colder, duh" i was hoping someone knew a more scientiffic/detailed explanation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone is thinking too much.

This should help.

Does stuff cool faster in the freezer than in the fridge? (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_118b.html)

bravos1
09-09-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are many sudies about this and in fact many do show that warmer water DOES in fact freeze faster than colder water SOMETIMES depending on the situations. This is called the Mpemba effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look here (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=Mpemba+effect&btnG=Sea rch)

codewarrior
09-09-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mpemba effect

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it - couldn't think of it.

<- now forgotten nearly everything I've learned, and hard-pressed to bet 5 cents water is wet (which it really isn't very, BTW).

CrazyEyez
09-09-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look here (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=Mpemba+effect&btnG=Sea rch)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I just read that. Interesting.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can give some more details... I was very careful in choosing the parameters of the experiment. We used glass bowls so that the heat transfer out was faster. I did this for a specific reason. One of the main reasons the Mpemba effects works so well is due to evaporation (yes water will evaporate in the freezer), the faster you freeze, the less chance for evaporation. If we were to put out water in insulated materials like 2 open thermoses, both waters would take longer to freeze giving the hot water much more time to evaporate and because of the evaporation, there would actually be less mass (water) to freeze from the hot side. I also did not let him get the water boiling, but only close to boiling also due to evaporation. There is also studies that show warm water feezes at higher temps then cold water due to supercooling properties. I'll have to read up more on that before I can elaborate.

J.A.Sucker
09-09-2005, 02:22 PM
I should add that putting a bottle of beer in liquid nitrogen to cool it down isn't a good method of cooling it. I did this once because I was thirsty, and the beer was warm in the lab. All of the bubbles crashed out and it all went shooting out the top. Good thing I opened it first, otherwise it would have exploded. The more you know...

CORed
09-09-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't the Nazi's already try this?

claimsguy
09-09-2005, 02:37 PM
I have always thought the two cans will cool at the same rate, based on thermodynamics, I have not yet found the specific law yet.

However, at some point the can in the freezer will in fact get colder then the one in the fridge because the freezer is coolder.

I think a proper analogy is the rate at which an object falls is the same for all matter and is not based on its mass.

J.A.Sucker
09-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Nope. Things cool/heat until they become equalized. The rate at which it occurs is decided by the difference between the two and their ability to couple. The first is simple. Think about it this way: if you take your tongue and lick a flagpole in Fargo in February, it'll probably freeze to it. The spit in your mouth/tongue is 98.6 deg, and the pole is something like -25 deg, right?

The second is like heat conductivity; it's why you die faster in cold water than you do standing outside on a cold day. 50 deg water will kill you pretty fast, but 50 deg air won't.

Ulysses
09-09-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the freezer is the right choice, but you never know....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you do know.

Dominic
09-09-2005, 03:22 PM
um, the freezer is colder than the fridge.

If you put something in the freezer, it will cool faster than if you put it in the fridge.

Duh.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have always thought the two cans will cool at the same rate, based on thermodynamics, I have not yet found the specific law yet.

However, at some point the can in the freezer will in fact get colder then the one in the fridge because the freezer is coolder.

I think a proper analogy is the rate at which an object falls is the same for all matter and is not based on its mass.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just... wow.

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just... wow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was pretty much a science retard, but Wow. Just... wow.

edit: Can you try to apply some laws of economics to this problem next so I can understand.

Sephus
09-09-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have always thought the two cans will cool at the same rate, based on thermodynamics

[/ QUOTE ]

based on what now?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have always thought the two cans will cool at the same rate, based on thermodynamics

[/ QUOTE ]

based on what now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoah whoah whoah... don't be quoting like it's me saying that [censored].

poincaraux
09-09-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Just... wow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Homer said it best (http://www.fortunecity.com/lavendar/poitier/135/thermo.wav)

offTopic
09-09-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got it backwards. It's the little-known Fourth Law of Thermodynamics which has to do with Empathy. You see, you understand that the freezer feels colder than the fridge, so the can placed in the freezer must cool faster.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 06:49 PM
a freezer works because no closed system is fully entropic.

cold molecules create a cushion so to speak around the warm faster moving molecules, eventually they collide and bump around and slow down bcause the cold molecules act as cushions. the cushions acelerate and the effect dissipates throughout the freezer.

the colder the molecules the more akin to a cushion, the warmer (such as in the fridge) are more mobile and move as well. physically, when to moving objects collide, (like a bat and a ball) there are greater force components. i know im mixing these metaphors ,but the force of the movement of the molecules is greater, therefore warmer because they move more when they collide, as oppsoed to the colder ones.

i think this is how it works, but dont quote me.

Bradyams
09-09-2005, 07:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They also tested a bunch of other ways to chill beer in order to find the best method. The best method by far was to use saltwater and ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long did that take? I've always thought that spinning the coke/beer with your hand while it's submerged in ice water was the fastest way. You can usually get a warm coke pretty damn cold within 4-5 minutes with this method.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

cold molecules create a cushion so to speak around the warm faster moving molecules, eventually they collide and bump around and slow down bcause the cold molecules act as cushions. the cushions acelerate and the effect dissipates throughout the freezer.

the colder the molecules the more akin to a cushion, the warmer (such as in the fridge) are more mobile and move as well. physically, when to moving objects collide, (like a bat and a ball) there are greater force components. i know im mixing these metaphors ,but the force of the movement of the molecules is greater, therefore warmer because they move more when they collide, as oppsoed to the colder ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't ever take up any sort of teaching career.

jason_t
09-09-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

jason_t
09-09-2005, 07:13 PM
I've also witnessed countless arguments over this. The argument even erupted in a senior level engineering mathematics course I was teaching when we were discussing the differential equation governing Newton's Law of Cooling. Be very scared that these people are building your bridges.

Alobar
09-09-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, the best method was the fire extinguisher, heh.

Sponger15SB
09-09-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll just walk down to the beach and get some salt water.... or, I could use tap water and put salt in it....

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I wasn't commenting on how right/wrong he was, but the terrible explanation of it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've also witnessed countless arguments over this. The argument even erupted in a senior level engineering mathematics course I was teaching when we were discussing the differential equation governing Newton's Law of Cooling. Be very scared that these people are building your bridges.

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't surprise me if they were civil engineers. Don't tell my wife I said that.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll just walk down to the beach and get some salt water.... or, I could use tap water and put salt in it....

[/ QUOTE ]
BUT TEH S4LT W1LL M3LT TEH ICEEE!!!!#!!2342!!111

jason_t
09-09-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't surprise me if they were civil engineers. Don't tell my wife I said that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The course I taught was for aerospace, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering majors.

hobbsmann
09-09-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The quickest way to cool a drink though is to spin it in ice water. The reason for this is that by spinning the soda in the water you create a turbulent boundary layer around the the outside of the can that promotes more efficient heat transfer. Also by spinning you are promoting mixing of the fluid inside the can which in turn also increases the rate of heat transfer.

As for the freezer argument the soda will cool slightly faster in the freezer mainly because it is in physical contact with frozen objects that transfer heat much more efficiently than air.

Sephus
09-09-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

based on what now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoah whoah whoah... don't be quoting like it's me saying that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

whiskeytown
09-09-2005, 08:03 PM
word of warning -

if your coke FREEZES, esp. in a can, it'll taste like manure - better off getting rid of it -

otherwise, trust me, the colder the environment, the faster the heat transfers out -

when the freezer is too slow in winter, I'll set it out on my balcony - (depending on the temperature, I could probably chill a coke in 5 minutes.

but by the time I went out and got it, I'd wish it was warm so it could warm me back up /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

bravos1
09-09-2005, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The quickest way to cool a drink though is to spin it in ice water. The reason for this is that by spinning the soda in the water you create a turbulent boundary layer around the the outside of the can that promotes more efficient heat transfer. Also by spinning you are promoting mixing of the fluid inside the can which in turn also increases the rate of heat transfer.

As for the freezer argument the soda will cool slightly faster in the freezer mainly because it is in physical contact with frozen objects that transfer heat much more efficiently than air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what I want to doo with my soda.. spin it in ice water so when I open it ... BOOM soda everywhere.. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tom441lbk
09-09-2005, 08:24 PM
yeah, esp if you like it slushy, stick in it the fridge, and its ready to go, ship it batch!

bravos1
09-09-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cold molecules create a cushion so to speak around the warm faster moving molecules, eventually they collide and bump around and slow down bcause the cold molecules act as cushions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about me and my wife having sex? That's a lot of bumping and colliding!

Bradyams
09-09-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Just what I want to doo with my soda.. spin it in ice water so when I open it ... BOOM soda everywhere.. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you spin it in ice water, and don't move it side to side or up and down at all it won't be shooken up at all.

mostsmooth
09-09-2005, 08:39 PM
ok, ill allow my possible retardation to shine through here. all of you who are saying to put the beer can into "salt water and ice" are then putting the salt water and ice into the freezer correct? otherwise somebody will need to explain to me why a bucket of saltwater and ice would be colder than a bucket of regular water and ice.

Bradyams
09-09-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, ill allow my possible retardation to shine through here. all of you who are saying to put the beer can into "salt water and ice" are then putting the salt water and ice into the freezer correct? otherwise somebody will need to explain to me why a bucket of saltwater and ice would be colder than a bucket of regular water and ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The salt depresses the freezing point of water so the water can get much colder without freezing, and your beer is able to be submerged in a liquid colder than ice.

mostsmooth
09-09-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The salt depresses the freezing point of water so the water can get much colder without freezing, and your beer is able to be submerged in a liquid colder than ice.

[/ QUOTE ]
how does the 32degree (for agruments sake) ice, make salt water colder than 32degrees? or did you just tell me that?

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you ever read the whole thread, you're going to feel like a huge idiot.

Bradyams
09-09-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
how does the 32degree (for agruments sake) ice, make salt water colder than 32degrees? or did you just tell me that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused by this question.

Let me clarify real quick. Let's say you add NaCl (a common salt) to water the freezing point lowers. So you can chill salt water to less than 32F degrees and the water will not freeze. This is just a simple property of water.

At what temperature it freeezes depends on how much salt you add. I think it's something like for each 18 grams of water (1 mole) you have, if you add 1,000 grams (1 kg) of NaCl the freezing point will lower by ~3.7 degrees Celsius. (My math could be wrong.)

mostsmooth
09-09-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused by this question.

Let me clarify real quick. Let's say you add NaCl (a common salt) to water the freezing point lowers. So you can chill salt water to less than 32F degrees and the water will not freeze. This is just a simple property of water.

At what temperature it freeezes depends on how much salt you add. I think it's something like for each 18 grams of water (1 mole) you have, if you add 1,000 grams (1 kg) of NaCl the freezing point will lower by ~1.9 degrees Celsius. (My math could be wrong.)

[/ QUOTE ]
im pretty sure if we put ice in a bucket of saltwater, it will be the same temperature as a bucket of regular ice water.
but again im retarded
i guess it depends on the temperature of the ice

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 09:47 PM
what the [censored] man, i said no quotes.

yah its a terrible explanation.

and i have no patience for teaching so....

Jimbo
09-09-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im pretty sure if we put ice in a bucket of saltwater, it will be the same temperature as a bucket of regular ice water.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. What will occur is that if you then put the bucket of saltwater in a freezer the saltwater/ice solution would stay liquid at a lower temperature than a bucket of ice water without the salt. In other words saltwater freezes at a lower temperature but salt does not magically make ice colder, it only makes it melt faster.

This is called freezing point depression. For that matter sugar will accomplish the same thing.

mostsmooth
09-10-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. What will occur is that if you then put the bucket of saltwater in a freezer the saltwater/ice solution would stay liquid at a lower temperature than a bucket of ice water without the salt. In other words saltwater freezes at a lower temperature but salt does not magically make ice colder, it only makes it melt faster.

This is called freezing point depression. For that matter sugar will accomplish the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, i know about what the salt (impurity) does.

M2d
09-10-2005, 02:54 PM
just put all the cokes into a bucket and shoot them with a CO2 fire extinguisher. game over.

-Skeme-
09-10-2005, 03:14 PM
They explode.

jman220
09-10-2005, 04:03 PM
7th Grade Earth Science: Energy flows from source to sink. There is less heat energy in a freezer than in a fridge. Thus the heat energy contained within the coke will flow faster to the freezer.

wacki
09-10-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some science to shut them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to cool:

Beer being spun (key) in ice water: 45 seconds
Beer in freezer: 45 minutes
Beer in fridge: 4 hours

Put money on it, wacki said so.

-the beer expert

wacki

jman220
09-10-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The salt depresses the freezing point of water so the water can get much colder without freezing, and your beer is able to be submerged in a liquid colder than the freezing point of water .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. The liquid still won't be colder than the ice you put into the liquid to cool it in the first place. All the salt allows is for the liquid to reach a cooler temperature than normal without freezing.

Freakin
09-10-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some science to shut them up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Time to cool:

Beer being spun (key) in ice water: 45 seconds
Beer in freezer: 45 minutes
Beer in fridge: 4 hours

Put money on it, wacki said so.

-the beer expert

wacki

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a device called a chill wizard that I got from value village. It was a small tub with a motor on one end. The motor had a suction cup attached to it.

It was worth every penny of the $2 I paid for it to take it home, resolder a wire, and use it frequently.

Lazymeatball
09-10-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mpemba effect

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it - couldn't think of it.

<- now forgotten nearly everything I've learned, and hard-pressed to bet 5 cents water is wet (which it really isn't very, BTW).

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this having any thing to do with the effect of Belgian soccer phenom Mpenza

http://www.egyptianplayers.com/assets/mpenza.jpg

garyjacosta
09-10-2005, 05:14 PM
I suggest you:

1. Start buying Cokes that are already cold
2. Put the damn things in the fridge a couple hours before you're ready to drink them, so you don't have to scramble for an idea on how to quickly chill them