PDA

View Full Version : "300 BB" figure for satelite bankroll?

jasonHoldEm
04-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what size bankroll you should have to play one (and two) table tournaments on a regular basis. In regular ring-game poker there's the doctrine of 300 BB, and somewhere around this figure seems to be generally accepted by everyone. I'm wondering if there is some sort of similar figure for playing satellites (for example X times your regular buy-in)?

Most of the information I found searching the archives related to playing regular (multi-table) tournaments where your swings are much more extreme than in satellites. Personally I've found my results to be fairly consistent (although admittedly my sample size is pretty small at around 60 tournaments) in satellite play. Recently I've considered moving up to the next level, but I'm concerned that I might not have enough in my bankroll to cover a bad losing streak.

Thanks in advance,
Jason

ohkanada
04-29-2003, 10:00 AM
I suspect that for 1 table tournies, you need to handle a run of 10-20 (might be high) of either no money returned or only money back.

So if you have $200 you are probably fine playing $10+1 but might be a bit low for $20+2. Of course if you move up and you have a bad run, just step back down.

Ken Poklitar

Inthacup
04-29-2003, 11:29 AM
or only money back

I've never encountered a payout scheme where I got only my money back. At single table tourneys, 3rd pays 2x your buy-in and 4th pays $0. Do you play with a different structure?

ohkanada
04-29-2003, 11:41 AM
Yeah your right. On-line, 3rd normally gets $20 for a $11 buy-in so it is more than money back. Maybe I was thinking that if you live only in 3rd place, you are in trouble.

Ken Poklitar

Emperor
05-01-2003, 12:10 PM
This is an EXCELLENT question to be answered by one of the resident 2+2 statiticians. I would be very curious to know if I play 500 $10+1 Single tables, average finishing in the money 40% of the time, and average $35 for times in the money, how big of a bankroll do I need?

Is this possible? Because if you drop down to only winning $30 per ITM finish and you only finish ITM 37% of the time then you are just breaking even.

theGorn
05-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi,

I find if I have 20xBB i am confortable. Usually I get in trouble if I in satellites with less that 10xBB. I couple losses and I have to drop down.

Jeff