PDA

View Full Version : optimal rock paper scissors strategy (or jan ken pon)

blaze666
09-09-2005, 12:31 PM
im an beginner, anyone got any good hints/tips for me? masters of the game , can you suggest any tactics?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Surely there must be a "2+2 of" Roshambo.

steelcmg
09-09-2005, 12:33 PM
http://www.worldrps.com/

disjunction
09-09-2005, 12:38 PM
There's no long term profit in RoShamBo. The bots are taking over.

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~darse/rsbpc.html

peterchi
09-09-2005, 12:41 PM
I've heard that 40% of people always throw rock on the first hand. So you should throw paper.

Also, you get one "fire" for your entire lifetime. Fire beats everything.

Except "water." You also get one water for your lifetime. Water loses to everything except fire.

Although, I'm not sure if these rules run in any circles other than the Ultimate Frisbee community. It's actually very key there because captains will often rosham for sides, possession, etc.

DMBFan23
09-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Ultimate rules. Chicago Heavyweights this weekend, BOO YA

peterchi
09-09-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ultimate rules. Chicago Heavyweights this weekend, BOO YA

[/ QUOTE ]
word. I don't play club though cuz I had surgery on my lung last year. But I got to finish out my college eligibility and that's all I really wanted.

DMBFan23
09-09-2005, 12:51 PM
damn, sucks about the lung. I never played in college, kind of wish I had but then again I had plenty of fun so what can you do...what college?

Aces McGee
09-09-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Except "water." You also get one water for your lifetime. Water loses to everything except fire.

Although, I'm not sure if these rules run in any circles other than the Ultimate Frisbee community. It's actually very key there because captains will often rosham for sides, possession, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually heard of a water over fire throw at an Ultimate tourney.

-McGee

peterchi
09-09-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
damn, sucks about the lung. I never played in college, kind of wish I had but then again I had plenty of fun so what can you do...what college?

[/ QUOTE ]
Four years at Michigan and then finished up with the 5th year at Johns Hopkins as a grad student.

What team do you play for?

peterchi
09-09-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah I read about one on RSD. Forget the details but I remember it sounded out of control.

DMBFan23
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
we're called Ono, we're in the mixed division - based out of DC. this is my first year with them, sectionals + regionals should be fun. the top 7-8 at (mid-atlantic) regionals all have legit shots at 3 bids to nationals, it's really wide open

peterchi
09-09-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we're called Ono, we're in the mixed division - based out of DC. this is my first year with them, sectionals + regionals should be fun. the top 7-8 at (mid-atlantic) regionals all have legit shots at 3 bids to nationals, it's really wide open

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice

I actually am going to play at sectionals this year, I forgot. I'm playing with a pick-up team of recent college grads. What I meant is that I don't play competitively anymore. i.e. this team isn't going to practice at all, haha.

Good luck to you

DcifrThs
09-09-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah I read about one on RSD. Forget the details but I remember it sounded out of control.

[/ QUOTE ]

why woudl it be out of control?

assume two teams near the end of a tournament. Team A (TA) and Team B(TB)

TA is great at offense and ok at defense. TA also wins 80% of the games that they start out ahead.

TB is good at offense and good at defense. TB knows TA.

clearly in a 1 shot RPS match, TA will throw fire b/c they need to win. TB will realize this and throw water.

Barron

CrazyEyez
09-09-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TA is great at offense and ok at defense. TA also wins 80% of the games that they start out ahead.

clearly in a 1 shot RPS match, TA will throw fire b/c they need to win. TB will realize this and throw water.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]
Your intellect is dizzying.

DMBFan23
09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
if you ignore the fact that fire is a one time shot (like this is the finals of nationals and you don't care if you can never throw fire again) then the optimal strategy is to throw Fire 1/3, Water 1/3, and Rock/Paper/Scissors 1/9th each. it's slightly more complicated because of ties and shooting again, but if we're talking one shot

Ulysses
09-09-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

TA will of course realize this and thus throw rock/paper/scissor. TB, realizing that, will throw fire. TA, realizing that, will throw water. So, TB...

Nice try, sport.

Ulysses
09-09-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
im an beginner, anyone got any good hints/tips for me? masters of the game , can you suggest any tactics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against other beginners, paper/paper/scissors is pretty effective.

DcifrThs
09-09-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you ignore the fact that fire is a one time shot (like this is the finals of nationals and you don't care if you can never throw fire again) then the optimal strategy is to throw Fire 1/3, Water 1/3, and Rock/Paper/Scissors 1/9th each. it's slightly more complicated because of ties and shooting again, but if we're talking one shot

[/ QUOTE ]

you're assuming both players know the basic rules and are both aiming for "optimal" stragety.

read my reply again i said nothing of the knowledge TA has.

Barron

DcifrThs
09-09-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

TA will of course realize this and thus throw rock/paper/scissor. TB, realizing that, will throw fire. TA, realizing that, will throw water. So, TB...

Nice try, sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

the example stopped there. i didn't state TA possessed knowledge.

if they BOTH are knowledgable then it reverts to game theory, which is 1/3fire, 1/3water, 1/9RPS as already noted.

Barron

DougShrapnel
09-09-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Against other beginners, paper/paper/scissors is pretty effective.

[/ QUOTE ] so weak.

dynamite
09-09-2005, 02:52 PM
My favorite moves are fistful o dollars and scissor sandwich. I also try to piss of my opponent to try to get them to lead rock. It's the most aggressive move, so if they're mad, then they'll lead rock more often. very +EV.

chuddo
09-09-2005, 02:54 PM
i always win shotgun aginst my friends in a best of 3 style with the classic 'scissor sandwich'. paper-scissors-paper.

if one of those 3 is a push, then the 4th throw is the never expected paper yet again.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try, sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn.. now I have to go home and watch the Princess Bride

poincaraux
09-09-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be there too, on an open team called Nemo. The mixed division looks really strong. I wonder how many 2+2 folks play ultimate.

peterchi
09-09-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be there too, on an open team called Nemo. The mixed division looks really strong. I wonder how many 2+2 folks play ultimate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nemo!!

Say hi to Pug, Will Maddix, Sean, Colin, and Rad Boss for me. Some of them might not be playing with you anymore though.

icepick
09-09-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it irronic that one of the top RPS Bots is named Iocanie Powder.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it irronic that one of the top RPS Bots is named Iocanie Powder.

[/ QUOTE ]

classic

Aces McGee
09-09-2005, 03:56 PM
My staple used to be Reopened Wound, but as roshambo gains popularity and the "Great Eight" gambits are more widely recognized, I've found that the little-known King Arthur's Gambit is most effective.

-McGee

Ulysses
09-09-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, nice backpedal.

Ulysses
09-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Aces,

Here is one I used recently against a tough pro. It will seem strange at first, but think it through.

Scissors/Scissors/Scissors/Scissors.

Voltron87
09-09-2005, 05:10 PM
beginners rarely throw paper first. i rarely put scissors down in the first 3 throws. i use it more in 4-6.

Georgia Avenue
09-09-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be the hand Ray Zee keeps referring to in the magazine.

Whattaplaya!

Jingleheimer
09-09-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aces,

Here is one I used recently against a tough pro. It will seem strange at first, but think it through.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good line, I bet you won 2-1 with the last tied. I think that this will work against most players except the experts or complete novices.

DcifrThs
09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha, nice backpedal.

[/ QUOTE ]

backpedal. that implies that i didn't know what i stated and am trying to cover it up. i used the exact words to state a way in which the situation would in no means be out of control. figured that was pretty clear. guess not.

Barron

Ulysses
09-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Wow, just played an epic match.

[14:09] <ElDiablo> 123 shoot
[14:09] <Nagoo81> <DrSavage> scissors
[14:09] <Nagoo81> <ElDiablo> rock
[14:09] <Nagoo81> Diablo, WINS

[14:10] <Nagoo81> <DrSavage> rock
[14:10] <Nagoo81> <ElDiablo> scissors
[14:10] <Nagoo81> Svg, WINNAR

[14:10] <ElDiablo> 123 shoot
[14:10] <Nagoo81> <ElDiablo> rock
[14:10] <Nagoo81> TIE
[14:11] <ElDiablo> 123 shoot
[14:11] <Nagoo81> <ElDiablo> paper
[14:11] <Nagoo81> <DrSavage> paper
[14:11] <Nagoo81> TIE
[14:12] <Nagoo81> <ElDiablo> scissors
[14:12] <Nagoo81> <DrSavage> scissors
[14:12] <Nagoo81> LOL TIE

[14:12] <ElDiablo> 123 shoot
[14:12] <Nagoo81> <DrSavage> paper
[14:12] <Nagoo81> diablo WINNAR
[14:12] <ElDiablo> YES

DrSavage
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, just played an epic match.

[14:09] <Nagoo81> <DrSavage> scissors
[14:09] <Nagoo81> <ElDiablo> rock
[14:09] <Nagoo81> Diablo, WINS

[14:10] <Nagoo81> <ElDiablo> scissors
[14:10] <Nagoo81> Svg, WINNAR

[14:10] <ElDiablo> 123 shoot
[14:10] <Nagoo81> <ElDiablo> rock
[14:10] <Nagoo81> TIE
[14:12] <Nagoo81> <DrSavage> scissors
[14:12] <Nagoo81> LOL TIE

[14:12] <ElDiablo> 123 shoot
[14:12] <Nagoo81> <DrSavage> paper
[14:12] <Nagoo81> diablo WINNAR
[14:12] <ElDiablo> YES

[/ QUOTE ]

I was so setting Diablo up for rock, but he saw through me /images/graemlins/frown.gif