PDA

View Full Version : QQ-bet the turn?

Inthacup
04-27-2003, 03:39 PM
Same 2 4 game as before

4 players limp to me, I raise w/ Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif , CO cold calls, Button cold calls, blinds fold, everyone calls.

Flop: 10 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Checked to me, I bet, all 6 opponents call.

Turn: 10 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Checked to me.

Do you bet here? If raised, I have to call for my 2 Q outs. If checked through, I leave open a free card for A or K overcards. I don't encounter family pots this large on the turn very often, so my thinking in these situations is not very fine tuned. I usually assume: well, vs. 6 opponents, somebody must have a 10. Is this a pretty safe assumption? Results posted later.

travisand
04-27-2003, 04:19 PM
I would bet it. Even if you do get raised the pot is very large so it can't be that big of a mistake for calling.

RockLobster
04-27-2003, 04:40 PM
For what it's worth, I bet this the vast majority of the time. I fear giving the free card more than someone having the ten.

Homer
04-27-2003, 04:54 PM
Seems like an easy bet and fold to a raise (unless a few people coldcall, in which case you have odds to spike a Q on the river) situation.

I don't want to give any of these jokers a free card for their 83h, 98o, J8o, J9o, 86o, 96o, Axo, Kxo, 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, and other crap hands...............

-- Homer

MarkD
04-27-2003, 06:49 PM
I think this is an easy bet. Worse hands will call you here and you are simply giving up too much money to fold. If raise I think you can safely fold - it doesn't seem like you have the pot odds to call on the turn for your Queen if raised.

If you get raised and end up heads up against an opponent you think might bluff here then I think you should call the turn and river. I don't believe you can call the turn with the intention of folding the river so you are calling the river too IMO.

Bob T.
04-27-2003, 10:22 PM
I would bet the turn, but you don't need to call the raise. The pot is only about 10-12 big bets, and if you believe that you are on a two outer, you are several bets short of the odds to call for a two outer.

Inthacup
04-28-2003, 12:40 AM
I checked. River was 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . Uh oh. Maybe I let bottom pair sneak a full house. Checked to me again, I bet, get called in 4 places and take the pot. I check the hand history, 1 person had pocket 5s, one had a 7, and two had aces.

My thinking about the turn: If anyone noticed that I raised preflop and bet the flop, they'd realize there's only a small chance that I'm betting with a 10 on the turn. If there were ever a time to take a shot at the pot, trying to get me to fold, it would be on this turn. I HATE betting with the specific intention of folding if raised.

That being said, I don't like checking either. There's too much that can hurt me on the river. I find this situation very difficult and I don't like either option.

Bob T.
04-28-2003, 01:07 AM
I find this situation very difficult and I don't like either option.

I can't say for sure, but whenever I find myself between two choices, it usually seems to work out better if I take the more aggressive line.

Punker
04-28-2003, 03:12 AM
There's nothing you could have done to avoid this situation; its a function of the game you're sitting in. If you don't like the situation, change tables, because most likely you're going to be sitting in this kind of spot for your whole session.

Trying to get to showdown cheaply at this point seems reasonable. Or you can bet the turn with the intention of calling a checkraise and folding the river if you don't spike.