PDA

View Full Version : My worst mistake ever

MRBAA
09-09-2005, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to have one, since I routinely misplay hands in all sorts of ways. But I was wrong.

Foxwoods, 4-8. The game is great -- 6 to the flop for a raise is typical.

Three limpers to me, with 8h9h in cut off. I limp, blinds come, six to a flop of:

3c7hTh

Checked to me, I bet, SB calls, EP player calls. 3 to turn of:

(3c7hTh) Jd

I have the nut str8, I bet, SB raises, EP folds, I three bet, SB calls. We take the river head up:

(3d7hTh Jd) Jh

Oh no the full house is on board. My flush with a 9 in my hand is no good. I check, SB bets, I make a crying call, he shows Ah2h for the nut flush. I muck my hand without showing.

A_C_Slater
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
It will only bother you for about a month.

Moran.

SeaEagle
09-09-2005, 10:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It will only bother you for about a month.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. This will haunt him forever. At his funeral the preacher will say "MRBAA was a nice guy but not always the brightest. An oft-told family story tells about the time he was dealt suited connectors..."

MaxPower
09-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Misplaying straight flushes is one of your big leaks /images/graemlins/wink.gif

A_C_Slater
09-09-2005, 10:55 AM
At least you can take solace in the fact that your opponent didn't have a boat and had only a flush and therefore even the donk would stop to think and not go 3-4 bets on a paired board wheras if he had the boat you would have gotten his whole stack.

jskills
09-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Your worst mistake ever is calling on river for 1 BB for a total of $8? Not bad.

I don't even think it was that bad a call. The SB could have a had a single J or 89o ...

PTjvs
09-09-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your worst mistake ever is calling on river for 1 BB for a total of $8? Not bad.

I don't even think it was that bad a call. The SB could have a had a single J or 89o ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Id guess his worst mistake was folding the straight flush, but I could be wrong...

TheHammer24
09-09-2005, 11:18 AM
How long until you realized you folded the straight flush as opposed to the smaller flush? You missed out on a lot of money there.

Baloosh
09-09-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ah2h for the nut flush. I muck my hand without showing.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't have the nut flush, but apparently you realized that right before posting this.

/nitpick

sthief09
09-09-2005, 01:15 PM
raise preflop and maybe he wouldn't have even been in the hand /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

shant
09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
Assuming the river was a different board pairing flush card, do people really check-call this river?

MRBAA
09-09-2005, 01:19 PM
After he was shipped the $104 pot, as the next hand was being dealt, I realized that the Jh wasn't just any old heart, it was my straight flush card. There is no explanation for my error -- I knew I had a sf draw on the flop, I knew the cards I held on the river. I had realized that a heart would be worse than a blank, since my str8 was the nuts. I wasn't hoping to make a sf, and the paired board triggerred fh thoughts, since his turn raise could have indicated a set. For some reason, I found it made me feel better to calculate exactly how much this error cost me -- I peg it at $112 --the amount in the pot plus my called c/r on the river. He would not have gone for a three bet given the paired board.

At the time I made this mistake, I was stuck about $270 from a $5-10 stud game. This put me over the $300 mark. How good was the game? Well, I caught a few cards and left three hours later up $30.

MRBAA
09-09-2005, 01:22 PM
With JTs here, I would raise it. My 9 isn't a high enough pair card to make raising worthwhile, IMHO. And in this game I'm not raising to KO anyone preflop.

09-11-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A dumb and strange leak, yes. A big leak, no. How often is he going to get a straight flush that he's going to misplay?

newhizzle
09-11-2005, 01:19 AM
im going to agree with shant here, obviously mucking a straight flush is pretty bad, but are you that sure you 9 high flush(using 2 cards) is no good, i bet the river

edit: assuming i didnt know i had a straight flush

colgin
09-11-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You totally missed it.

private joker
09-11-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A dumb and strange leak, yes. A big leak, no. How often is he going to get a straight flush that he's going to misplay?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's worse, OP missing the straight flush or this guy missing Max's sarcasm?

jskills
09-11-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You totally missed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep I sure did. It was hard to even tell - I'm used to the converter. My bad.