PDA

View Full Version : MG vs JFD at the Foxwoods

Mike Gallo
04-27-2003, 02:09 PM
My friend Fred and I discussed this hand that we played against each other late Friday night at the Foxwoods in a $4-$8 game. I would like some of the forums input.

The table had a loose passive texture at the time. Players respected my raises and I had a solid image at the table. I limped UTG with K 10 suited. In other games, I migh muck the same hand without much thought. I had the perfect spot to play K 10 suited.

I limped utg with K 10. Action gets folded to my friend Fred in three off of the button and he raises, everyone folds to the big blind who calls. I also call. Fred could have many hands in this spot. He could have a suited Ace he could have a big pair he could even have 2 7. I decided to call.

Flop 10 4 8 with two diamonds.

Big blind checks I bet Fred raises and I call. I didnt reraise there, I figured Fred would bet the turn and I could get a check raise on him. Since I had two diamonds it didnt occur to me that he had a flush draw also. He likes to pump draws, however with two diamonds in my hand I ruled that out and put him on AK or AQ.

A brick hits the turn. The big blind checks, I check Fred checks. I missed a check raise and I might have missed a bet. Fred usually doesnt take free cards so I found it strange he took this one.

Another brick hits the river. The big blind checks, I check thinking only a better hand will call, and Fred checks. I figured that if I bet he would raise again and I would get raised. I checked because I felt he might bet on the end.

Fred had QJ diamonds the Big Blind had AQ with the Ace of diamonds, and my hand held up.

Looking back, had I bet the turn JFD probably would have raised me so I missed not one bet but two from him and prehaps two from the big blind.

Who would have reraised the flop and bet the turn and bet the river?

travisand
04-27-2003, 02:43 PM
I might not have reraised the flop but when the brick fell on the turn I would definitely bet out to charge others for the flush and overcard draws. I would also bet the river.

Allan
04-27-2003, 02:45 PM
I would reraise the flop. You are getting 2:1 on your raise which is great wether or not you are behind. This raise may also give you extra info on the turn where it might be hard for Fred to get too tricky with the presence of the BB. I also hate when I think I can get a checkraise in and it doesn't happen....makes me feal like I got outplayed. I also don't appreciate checkraising the turn and getting 3 bet with a hand that I have to see the river card on. Louie wrote up a good post about situations like this, I dont know if you've read it but here it is:
Slow Playing (http://www.twoplustwo.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=begin&Number=239876&Forum= begin&Words=Louie%20Landale&Match=Username&Searchp age=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=239876&Search=true #Post239876)

I think Fred played the hand very well and the BB very poorly.

Allan

JTG51
04-27-2003, 03:51 PM
I'd have a hard time not 3-betting the flop against a player that could have a wide range of hands. Given the way it played out, I would bet the river every time.

I wish I had known you were going to be up this weekend. I was a couple of tables away playing 5/10 Friday night. I guess we are destined to keep missing eachother.

SoBeDude
04-27-2003, 04:02 PM
It almost seems like you played your hand forgetting you had top pair, king kicker, which is no slouch of a hand but you are in a bad position with it. (I know you wanted to check-raise)

I know you probably wouldn't have been in this situation, but how would you have played from the flop on if you had KTo with TP/king kicker?

I think you would have played more aggressively to attempt to protect your hand, right? So you actually have a decent made hand plus a very nice draw. Shouldn't you make them pay to play with you?

Raise the flop and bet out on the turn, then if your flush comes, who's going to put you on it? They won't expect it and if they have any hand they'll pay you off. You have too many ways to win here to not be getting money in the pot.

Just my thoughts...

-Scott

Bob T.
04-27-2003, 09:28 PM
You had top pair, and a flush draw. This needs at least one more bet on the flop. If it gets called, you can bet the turn. If fred makes if four bets, then you can check call, or check raise, or bet out, depending on your read and if it gets checked through, you haven't lost anything. I would have bet the river here, a lot of worse hands will call, because you haven't done anything that you wouldn't have done with a missed flush draw.

Mike Gallo
04-27-2003, 10:02 PM