PDA

View Full Version : i know i am dumb, but seriously i still dont understand pot odds!!!

die_rich88
09-09-2005, 07:02 AM
Hi,

first off let me just say I SUCK at math and i've tried reading Theory of Poker to understand pot odds and implied odds. I know i am dumb, but seriously i need some help here.

Can anyone of you explain to me in plain english what is pot odds, how to calcuate it, and so on.

For instance, i often hear people say "i am getting 2:1 on my money". How do u calucate that?

- thanks

LetYouDown
09-09-2005, 08:50 AM
If you're playing heads up, and the pot is $10, and your opponent bets $10...it costs you $10 to win $20. You're getting 2-to-1.

BeerMoney
09-09-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're playing heads up, and the pot is $10, and your opponent bets $10...it costs you $10 to win $20. You're getting 2-to-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously correct.

Now, in order for you to break even you have to win 1 time, and lose twice. The one time you win, you win $20, and the two times you lose, you lose -$10*2 =$-20.

So if your ratio of losing to winning would improve in your favor, like if you lost two times, and won 1.5 times.. Now you would win $30 and lose -$20 for a net of $10. You love the bet.

I hope this helps..

Mr. Curious
09-09-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

first off let me just say I SUCK at math and i've tried reading Theory of Poker to understand pot odds and implied odds. I know i am dumb, but seriously i need some help here.

Can anyone of you explain to me in plain english what is pot odds, how to calcuate it, and so on.

For instance, i often hear people say "i am getting 2:1 on my money". How do u calucate that?

- thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy Ed Miller's Getting Started In Hold'Em.

Ed does an excellent job explaining pot odds, implied odds, pot equity, and all of the other basic things that you should be thinking about. Well worth the money.

eOXevious
09-09-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

first off let me just say I SUCK at math

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a hard time understanding pot odds at first also, but I guess I'm in a different boat cause I'm good at math.
So how can I make it simple?
Lets say there are 4 people includeing you
each person bets 1$ and now the action is on you...
Since everyone bet $1, all that money is in the pot... so there is $3 in the pot. Still with me?
The action is on you now... you must call 1$

So take the pot first... which is $3 (usually hard for begginers to keep track of) and put it up to your call...$1
3$-1$ or 3:1 or your $1 will pay out $4 or your $1 will make you $3 if you win. Now lets sey you are faced with the decision to call a $1...
Bad players would usually call and say its just a $1. But you should play a hand thats worth a 3:1 call. Thats the purpose of pot odds. Just play hands that will win 1/4 times or better, of course there are other factors, but thats just by looking at pot odds. Basiclly you are trying to maximize the justification for calling.

Miggo
09-09-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm going to throw this in here too, since I had problems with ratios and it was easier for me, and faster to use percentages.

Say you and the same four people are in the pot. You have a nut flush draw which you figure would be the best hand if you get your suit, with the river card to come. The same $3 is in the pot, $1 for you to call. For the sake of argument, you have a 20% chance to get your nut flush, but it is costing you 33% of the pot for that 20% chance, that is pot odds. So you should fold.

However lets say that you know that if you hit your flush, that there will be at least 2 more bets in the pot, either people raising or calling your bets. So you are implying that your $1 call before the river will win you at least a $6 pot. Now you're still only 20% to hit your nut flush, but your $1 is only $1/$6 or about 17% of the implied pot, so you should call. That is implied odds.

I'm not exactly sure if I used the right terminology, but I think the principle is correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong and we'll both learn something.

LetYouDown
09-09-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you have a 20% chance to get your nut flush, but it is costing you 25% of the pot for that 20% chance, that is pot odds. So you should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP. You're getting 3-to-1 on that call, as far as immediate odds go. You'd need better than 4-to-1 if everyone else is all-in.

Your concept for implied odds is correct "terminology".

Miggo
09-09-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you have a 20% chance to get your nut flush, but it is costing you 25% of the pot for that 20% chance, that is pot odds. So you should fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP. You're getting 3-to-1 on that call, as far as immediate odds go. You'd need better than 4-to-1 if everyone else is all-in.

Your concept for implied odds is correct "terminology".

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, forgot to count my $1.