PDA

View Full Version : any poker skill tests out there ?

MarkGrandy
09-09-2005, 03:38 AM
this is not not a joke /images/graemlins/blush.gif
Maybe my results should determine how good I'am,
but I think its too much results oriented thinking.
When somebody plays 1 million hands 5/10 FLHE and
keeps records all the time, then its different story.
My play history is about 1 year, including fixed/NL, ring/STT/MTT, 0,02/0,04 - 3/6, playing in many sites, part of income includes bonuses, etc.
So I would like to have a poker test, similar to IQ test of Mensa.

jb9
09-09-2005, 08:51 AM
Your poker skills are tested every time you sit down with money at a table.

I know that's not the answer you wanted...

Alex/Mugaaz
09-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Get SSHE / HoH 1/2. Answer each question without looking at the answer or reading the book. See for yourself. Ed miller and Caro have some quizzes they posted on websites that aren't half bad either.

4_2_it
09-09-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And you receive a grade when you leave /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Komodo
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar till:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not really a test, since many times you get punished for your good moves and rewarded for your mistakes, so winning is not a confirmation for good play and neither is losing a confirmation for bad play

jb9
09-09-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not really a test, since many times you get punished for your good moves and rewarded for your mistakes, so winning is not a confirmation for good play and neither is losing a confirmation for bad play

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being tested in the sense that you have the opportunity to apply what you have learned.

It is true that you cannot use short term results as the "grade" for the test, but you can evaluate whether or not you are making good poker decisions (e.g., making the proper play based on your odds) and how successful/unsuccessful you are at adjusting your play to other players (e.g., did the maniac put you on tilt or did you trap him? did you value bet vs. a calling station or did you try to bluff him?).

4_2_it
09-09-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are being tested in the sense that you have the opportunity to apply what you have learned.

It is true that you cannot use short term results as the "grade" for the test, but you can evaluate whether or not you are making good poker decisions (e.g., making the proper play based on your odds) and how successful/unsuccessful you are at adjusting your play to other players (e.g., did the maniac put you on tilt or did you trap him? did you value bet vs. a calling station or did you try to bluff him?).

[/ QUOTE ] That's how you should grade yourself.

MarkGrandy
09-09-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] That's how you should grade yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank You guys for Your suggestions !
According to them I'm the master of poker(even I play break-even) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

4_2_it
09-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Seriously, how would you go about designing a test? There are too many factors to take into account. Think about the fact that no one has been able to create a bot that can consistently win. For many of the 'questions' on your test, there will not be a single correct answer.

It would be easy to test some one's poker knowledge, but almost impossible to test their 'skill.' The only way I can think of is to sit at a certain level and if you beat it consistently than you pass the test for that level. Move up a level. Rinse. Repeat.

Python49
09-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Play 10,000 hands and then look at your win rate. That's your grade.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
09-09-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MarkGrandy
09-11-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, how would you go about designing a test? There are too many factors to take into account. Think about the fact that no one has been able to create a bot that can consistently win. For many of the 'questions' on your test, there will not be a single correct answer.

It would be easy to test some one's poker knowledge, but almost impossible to test their 'skill.' The only way I can think of is to sit at a certain level and if you beat it consistently than you pass the test for that level. Move up a level. Rinse. Repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be easy to create a poker test program.
Pre-determined hands, Your right moves will maximize Your profit. Turbo Texas Holdem includes one solution where You can play certain hands and Your results are compared to same hands played with "advisor" I have used it but its too easy to beat.

xxx
09-11-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would be easy to create a poker test program.
Pre-determined hands, Your right moves will maximize Your profit. Turbo Texas Holdem includes one solution where You can play certain hands and Your results are compared to same hands played with "advisor" I have used it but its too easy to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is also a sidewinder sid option that gives active advice.

newhizzle
09-11-2005, 08:49 PM
link (http://www.cgtv.com/games/column/092104/index.shtml)