Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 02:52 AM
The Godfather - 1972

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 02:56 AM
damn, rocky is a good choice.

i'll say godfather pt 2

casablanca's another good one.

or five easy pieces (which did not win, but should have, or so the argument goes)

Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i'll say godfather pt 2

or five easy pieces (which did not win, but should have, or so the argument goes)

[/ QUOTE ]

Five Easy Pieces is disqualified, otherwise Shawshank takes this.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 03:01 AM
shawshank lost to forrest gump?

i think the oscars are definately ignorable after a certain date, of which i havent thought much about yet...

RRRRICK
09-09-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i'll say godfather pt 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Five Easy Pieces is disqualified, otherwise Shawshank takes this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true Shawshank would have won best picture but it was made in the same year as Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction.

Another favorite - The French Connection 1971

Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
shawshank lost to forrest gump?

i think the oscars are definately ignorable after a certain date, of which i havent thought much about yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

both shawshank AND pulp fiction lost to forrest gump

clearly one of the worst oscars of all time

that's a good prop bet, that shawshank didn't win best picture in '94. both matusow and doyle have lost it.

RRRRICK
09-09-2005, 03:05 AM

There was a movie about a big ship sinking which takes the title of the worst best picture winner ever

coffeecrazy1
09-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Braveheart - 1995

Worst Best Pictures: Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan in 1998, Titanic over LA Confidential in 1997, and, as much as I love it, Gladiator over Crouching Tiger or Traffic in 2000.

Moneyline
09-09-2005, 04:21 AM
On The Waterfront- 1954

I can't believe some of these choices. Rocky might be a good time-waster, but I think even fans of the movie admit that it's hackneyed and pretty cheesy. Now way it compares favorably to other films of that year like Taxi Driver and All The President's Men.

Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There was a movie about a big ship sinking which takes the title of the worst best picture winner ever

[/ QUOTE ]

Titanic beat out LA Confidential and Good Will Hunting. That's vastly inferior competition than Forrest Gump, which beat out the two best movies of the past 20 years.

swede123
09-09-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Titanic beat out LA Confidential and Good Will Hunting. That's vastly inferior competition than Forrest Gump, which beat out the two best movies of the past 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling L.A. Confidential vastly inferior to Titanic might qualify you for moron of the day honors.

In addition to the ones mentioned:

Casablanca - 1943
The Sting - 1973
Amadeus - 1984
Unforgiven - 1992

Swede

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 08:24 AM
This should be a poll.

johnnycakes
09-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Annie Hall - 1977

Soul Daddy
09-09-2005, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Amadeus - 1984

[/ QUOTE ]
If it weren't for the Godfathers, this would get my vote.

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Calling L.A. Confidential vastly inferior to Titanic might qualify you for moron of the day honors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not realizing what he was talking about pretty much makes you a lock.

PTjvs
09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read. He's calling L.A. Confidential vastly inferior to Shawshank & Pulp Fiction, not Titanic.

swede123
09-09-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's what he meant I apologize, I agree that Pulp Fiction and Shawshack are both better than LA Confidential. However, based on his statement it sounds like he's comparing the matchups of those two years. That is, he is referring to the Titanic vs the competition AND Forrest Gump vs. the competition.

Swede

SL__72
09-09-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't think Gladiator over Crouching Tiger was a stretch. I'm also supprised to hear that from someone who picked Braveheart as the best oscar winner ever.

Its cliche as hell but my favorites have been Godfather I & II, Casablanca, Schindler's List and Lawrence of Arabia.

diebitter
09-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Lawrence of Arabia by far, but I stopped taking any notice of the oscars in 1994 when Forrest Gump (which is a good film, IMHO) beat Pulp Fiction and Shawshank - obviously people voting like that are not worth treating seriously.

peachy
09-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Gone with the Wind
Rebecca
Lawrence of Arabia
Casablanca
My Fair Lady
From Here to Eternity
All About Eve
The English Patient
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Deer Hunter
Platoon

samjjones
09-09-2005, 12:23 PM
"Forrest Gump" winning the Oscar over "The Shawshank Redemption" was almost as big a tit-scam as "How Green Was My Valley" beating "Citizen Kane" in 1942.

djoyce003
09-09-2005, 12:25 PM
I loved unforgiven.

It's way up there in my list of best picture winners. Godfather as well.

"yeah i've killed women and children. I've killed just about everything that walks or crawls at some point. And i'm here to kill you Little Bill."

coffeecrazy1
09-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I really picked Braveheart because I didn't want to pick one already picked.

And...it was Gladiator over Crouching Tiger or Traffic...I tend to think both of those are superior, and would have personally given the Oscar to Traffic. That's not to say I don't love Gladiator(I own it), but I can recognize the movie with that little extra something.

However...in order to reconcile what is, admittedly, a weak choice for favorite...I will substitute Million Dollar Baby or The Silence of the Lambs for Braveheart.

Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Casablanca - 1943
The Sting - 1973
Amadeus - 1984
Unforgiven - 1992

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you idiot, I called LA confidential vastly inferior to Shawshank and Pulp Fiction.

john smith
09-09-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Forrest Gump" winning the Oscar over "The Shawshank Redemption" was almost as big a tit-scam as "Ordinary People" beating "Raging Bull" in 1980.

[/ QUOTE ]

MrWookie47
09-09-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really picked Braveheart because I didn't want to pick one already picked.

And...it was Gladiator over Crouching Tiger or Traffic...I tend to think both of those are superior, and would have personally given the Oscar to Traffic. That's not to say I don't love Gladiator(I own it), but I can recognize the movie with that little extra something.

However...in order to reconcile what is, admittedly, a weak choice for favorite...I will substitute Million Dollar Baby or The Silence of the Lambs for Braveheart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. Without Gladiator, we'd have never been blessed with our good moderator.

As for my pick, it's an obvious one, sure, but I'll go with the Godfather pt. 1.

drewjustdrew
09-09-2005, 12:51 PM
"You just shot an unarmed man"

"He should have armed himself"

RRRRICK
09-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I can't believe some of these choices. Rocky might be a good time-waster, but I think even fans of the movie admit that it's hackneyed and pretty cheesy.

I think you might be getting this film confused with its 4 horrid sequels.

Watch the original as a stand alone and block out all the garbage Stallone produced after it(First Blood excluded).

You may then appreciate what the film has to say.
If not your loss

Dominic
09-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Lawrence of Arabia
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II

Dominic
09-11-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Casablanca - 1943
The Sting - 1973
Amadeus - 1984
Unforgiven - 1992

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Titanic is vastly inferior to Duece Bigelow, Male Gigolo.

LA Confidential is a piece of cinematic art, while Titanic is a piece of....well,you get the idea.

ethan
09-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Casablanca. Easy.

From more recent winners, I'd go with Unforgiven.

KDawgCometh
09-12-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we all know that Million Dollar Baby wasn't the best picture this past year, don't even try to pretend that it is

Seadood228
09-12-2005, 01:55 AM
beat me too it...

Claunchy
09-12-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rocky - 1976

[/ QUOTE ]
Rocky wasn't even the best movie made that year, cause we all know Taxi Driver's a much better film.

I'm going Deer Hunter here.

MyTurn2Raise
09-12-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
American Beauty - 1999

[/ QUOTE ]

no way...stereotypes galore, too simple with the ideas
reminds me of American Pie for its genre

MyTurn2Raise
09-12-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. 1975

[/ QUOTE ]

savman
09-12-2005, 03:28 AM
why all the hate for Forrest Gump? FWIW I am willing to concede Shawshank could have easily won here....sort of a 1010 v AK; although i submit 2 plus 2 is not a represenative demographic.

Analyst
09-12-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Amadeus - 1984

[/ QUOTE ]
If it weren't for the Godfathers, this would get my vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the Godfathers, Amadeus gets my vote.

09-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Shawshank Redemption

KDawgCometh
09-12-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shawshank Redemption

[/ QUOTE ]

have you read this thread at all, or even gone to the oscars website so that you don't embarass yourself again

Soul Daddy
09-12-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shawshank Redemption

[/ QUOTE ]

have you read this thread at all, or even gone to the oscars website so that you don't embarass yourself again

[/ QUOTE ]
He's embarassed himself 39 times today already.

KDawgCometh
09-12-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shawshank Redemption

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He's embarassed himself 39 times today already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read any of his other posts, but if this is indicative of his body of work, I think I'll be having another person to ignore

Moneyline
09-12-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you might be getting this film confused with its 4 horrid sequels.

Watch the original as a stand alone and block out all the garbage Stallone produced after it(First Blood excluded).

You may then appreciate what the film has to say.
If not your loss

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I like Rocky, but I like it for what it is. It's a well-paced B-Movie where you can root for the underdog. It also has a great score and two great character actors who are fun to watch (Burgess Meredith and Joe Spinell). But let's face it. The boxing scenes are really bad, Stallone can't act, the dialogue is completely cheesy in parts, and the "message" is a pretty corny one. It's not difficult to "appreciate what the film has to say" because we've seen it and heard it a thousand times before.

And please don't poo-poo the Rocky sequels. Rocky IV is awesome. Like the original, it's a well paced movie with great character actors. The "message" of Rocky IV is just as hackneyed as that of the original... people just seem to have an easier time accepting that.

Dantes
09-12-2005, 05:28 PM
whenever I think of rocky I think of the "montage" skit in South Park and regretably recycled in Team America.

pryor15
09-12-2005, 05:40 PM
the godfathers
annie hall
cassablanca
million dollar baby
unforgiven
on the waterfront
marty

honestly, gladiator was rubbish. it was easily the worst of the 5 nominees.