PDA

View Full Version : beting top pair on the flop with 2 to a suit on board in EP

Gahnia radula
04-27-2003, 04:32 AM
One situation that a frequently find my self in is being in EP hitting top pair on the flop, but having the flop have 2 of a suit as well.

I always bet

I was retracting some of my plays after a night at a BM. And the one just mentioned came to mind.

My question is, is betting top pair in EP when no one to your right has bet with a 2 to suit on board the correct play.

My logic is if i check it and no one else bets i give a free card to some holding a 3 straight or a complete junk hand and face the possibility of being out drawn. (if someone hits the "junk" hand or the 3 straight gets a card that helps fill his/hers straight). The flip side of this is if the flush comes then i help build a pot for someone holding a four flush on the flop, as well as helping to disguise their hand, making it difficult to know when to lay my hand down.

Any comments welcome

Also would this play be correct in MP and LP (i think it would)

rayrns
04-27-2003, 06:52 AM
I believe betting the flop is correct for the reason you stated. Don't make it cheap for your opponent to draw out. If another of the suit hits try a check/raise on the turn. If you are raised you have to decide how to continue by the player doing the raising. But if another rag hits, I would bet again. Please be advised that I am new at this game so any information should be taken in that regard.

travisand
04-27-2003, 01:44 PM
I believe that betting top pair is the correct play. You might also try check raising if you think someone from LP will bet so you can MAYBE thin out the field. However, most people with a flush draw will still call two bets cold so betting out is probably the safest play.

ktnoah
04-27-2003, 02:22 PM
also consider the type of table you're playing. loose - let it slide b/c someone in MP will probably be betting and they could raise, costing you more when you must fold after 3rd suited card comes on turn. tight - don't give anyone free, bet it EP, get them all out. just an idea...