PDA

View Full Version : Quickly converging stats

Deamon2
09-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi all.

I am a poster over at microlimit, and am taking a shot at nl sng's to take a break. I am playing the PTY 11s, and have a 20 buyin br (some bonus money party gave me a while back that I ran up doing the 15BB challenge in the micros /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I ran a search and didn't find anything that really related to this.

Anyways, on to my question. I read in your FAQ that 1k SnG's provide a statistically signifigant data set. I was wondering if there were any quickly converging stats (vp$ip is an example from limit) that would help my gauge my play before I hit the 1k mark. If there are, at what point are they generally representative of my play? I consider myself a decent limit player, but don't have a ton of experience at SnG's.

The Yugoslavian
09-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Stats are for suckers.

The only one that is even remotely helpful practically is knowing what your bankroll is.

Yugoslav

citanul
09-09-2005, 01:06 AM
itm% converges faster in general than roi.

you should be able to get a vague feel for how you're doing just from playing, without having to rely on stats though. i don't mean to sound like an ass, but like, making money is usually an ok indicator that you're not doing anything incredibly stupid. that's not to say that you can't be an absolute donk and be making money, it happens, but it is to say that if you're making money you shouldn't be worrying too much about things like vpip or quickly converging stats. you should just be doing things like looking for leaks in your own game, by looking over your own hands, etc. since there's more than one way to win at these games, your numbers will most likely be different than other winning players'.

anyway, good luck, don't worry about the whole sample size and stat thing too much, just don't post your results after 35 games either.

citanul

citanul
09-09-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stats are for suckers.

The only one that is even remotely helpful practically is knowing what your bankroll is.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

meh.

i like puppies.

citanul

durron597
09-09-2005, 01:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if there were any quickly converging stats (vp$ip is an example from limit) that would help my gauge my play before I hit the 1k mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. People like to say 100 SnGs is enough to know if you are a winning player, but if 3 SnGs can change your ROI by 5% with 150 SnGs under your belt than it's obvious that you really need more like 1k to get any meaning.

Deamon2
09-09-2005, 01:08 AM
obviously what my exact stats are doesn't matter.

but in a loose/passive ring game if my vp$ip is 80% there's a problem. That's what I'm looking for, to see if I'm making any glaring errors. If there aren't any that are directly applicable to SnG's, then thanks anyways.

Deamon2
09-09-2005, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you should be able to get a vague feel for how you're doing just from playing, without having to rely on stats though. i don't mean to sound like an ass, but like, making money is usually an ok indicator that you're not doing anything incredibly stupid. that's not to say that you can't be an absolute donk and be making money, it happens, but it is to say that if you're making money you shouldn't be worrying too much about things like vpip or quickly converging stats. you should just be doing things like looking for leaks in your own game, by looking over your own hands, etc. since there's more than one way to win at these games, your numbers will most likely be different than other winning players'.

anyway, good luck, don't worry about the whole sample size and stat thing too much, just don't post your results after 35 games either.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. my problem is that I can't really tell if I'm making mistakes but running hot or playing well and running hot. Adjusting to playing in tournaments isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

durron597
09-09-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

but in a loose/passive ring game if my vp$ip is 80% there's a problem. That's what I'm looking for, to see if I'm making any glaring errors. If there aren't any that are directly applicable to SnG's, then thanks anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing that's as clear as VP$IP, PFR% or AF in limit. But I actually think finish % is a good indicator, for example if you're a 8/10/12/18/16 player (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th) it's obvious that you play much much much too tight on the bubble, and that's probably the biggest reason such a player is losing money.

Al P
09-09-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

but in a loose/passive ring game if my vp$ip is 80% there's a problem. That's what I'm looking for, to see if I'm making any glaring errors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well since SnG's are usually 65 hands or less from start to finish and you come from a ring background with emphasis on VP$IP you can surely understand why people are saying what they're saying.

The Yugoslavian
09-09-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i like puppies.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/000/026/765_lab%20puppies%20koppeltje.jpg

??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif ???

http://www.beautyhq.net/kelly_brook/kelly_brook001.jpg

??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif ???

Yugoslav

jmillerdls
09-09-2005, 03:09 AM
running into this myself. I feel like I am playing well, and my results have been far above what is realistically sustainable, but I'm wondering how far above they are. Am I running hot? Of course. But am I also playing good? There really isn't any way to know for sure. Just keep plugging along until I have a significant sample size. Slightly irritating to not be able to really tell.