PDA

View Full Version : pocket 10's UTG

09-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I have a real problem with hands like this....I have >10BB so I don't think pushing is right, but if I'm not pushing, how do I best play the hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1030)
MP1 (t715)
MP2 (t1210)
CO (t2580)
Button (t680)
SB (t750)
BB (t1035)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

This is PP 11. Table has been typical, loose....

Shilly
09-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Ok, so you don't ACTUALLY have 10BB or less, but this is still a push. The 10BB is more of a guideline than an absolute break-point. There are some spots where you can open push with an even bigger stack.

mlagoo
09-09-2005, 12:22 AM
just push. 10PP is just a loose guideline, and you're pretty damn close.

09-09-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so you don't ACTUALLY have 10BB or less,

[/ QUOTE ]

yah, I meant to talk about this as well. Although I'm right on the edge of 10 BB's, are 10's really strong enough to push into six people, esp. considering I have a very healthy stack? If I was short stacked, it would be obvious, but with a good sized stack 7 handed, are 10's the hand to risk a tournament for a reward of 150?

jmillerdls
09-09-2005, 03:13 AM
well, what are you wanting to do? If you raise 3xbb...you are going to have trouble after the flop, and you have severely crippled your stack. If you limp...you're going to have to call or push against a raise. I'm not sure what else you can do with this hand. Its definately not clear cut..but I like pushing here.

45suited
09-09-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yah, I meant to talk about this as well. Although I'm right on the edge of 10 BB's, are 10's really strong enough to push into six people, esp. considering I have a very healthy stack? If I was short stacked, it would be obvious, but with a good sized stack 7 handed, are 10's the hand to risk a tournament for a reward of 150?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a reward of 150 when you are called by lower PPs or when you win your race vs two overs.

I push this.

09-09-2005, 05:32 AM
next two hands the blinds make you being under 10BB and you might wait for such a hand for the rest of the tournament... push.

Pete H
09-09-2005, 05:40 AM
I push (this time agreeing with 45s even though it's more than 10 BB's /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) this, expect BB to call with A3 and river an ace.

ilya
09-09-2005, 07:08 AM
This is a clear push; going all-in is solidly +$EV even if all of your opponents call with exactly TT+, AJ+, KJ+, QJ.

A more interesting question is what you should do with 88 here. Still a push, I think.

09-09-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a clear push; going all-in is solidly +$EV even if all of your opponents call with exactly TT+, AJ+, KJ+, QJ.

A more interesting question is what you should do with 88 here. Still a push, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for the 10's, I did push, and got called by both 9's and A's....but that's not really important.

In the interest of plugging leaks, here's my thoughts on 8's. I have problem's with 10s and J's because I feel like they have value post flop and I want to play them. Since I think I can play them and not go broke if the flop comes with overs, it seems that pushing is not as good of a play with these hands. 8's I insta-push, since I'll be ahead most of the time, but I'm not going to be able to play them if I see the flop.

Feel free to humiliate me for this logic; I just ask that you explain why I'm wrong....

09-09-2005, 04:37 PM
I agree. Why not limp and encourage low pairs to push and trap them and possibly catch some additional dead money in between? Maybe you get a position raise behind you and then you can push? Anyone higher than 10-10 (JJ,QQ,KK,AA) would call your push anyway so nothing has been gained by pushing UTG. You either want this hand heads up or take a shot with a flop getting 2,3 or possibly 4 to one pot odds. If the flop comes off bad you can get out without having been crippled.