PDA

View Full Version : hXc (that's hardcore to you n00bs) You Send It thread

mason55
09-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Ok... since no one else ever started this thread (LAZY SLACKERS) I'm posting a few tracks right here:

#1 is SkyCameFalling off of their rare 2003 self titled EP. This was their last release before they broke up. I'm posting song two. There's only two songs, if you want song 1 comment and I'll YSI it.

02-skycamefalling-the elephan graveyard (http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3TMYGFZ3TDZHD2817AMMKKH7DE)

#2 is from the band that invented Screamo, Saetia. These tracks are from their retrospective. This is easily in my top 5 hardcore cd's although it might not appeal to all the hardcore fans out there. If anyone likes these and doesn't have the retrospective I will zip it up and send then the whole thing. PM me. They produced 26 tracks in 3 years before they broke up and have an amazin, unrivaled sound.

16 - Saetia - A Retrospective - One Dying Wish (http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1FBNCTLGOWW3J216HGH9RRDK75)
14 - Saetia - A Retrospective - Closed Hands (http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2BIO08LNFT53P1MJ22488DN3LW)

#3 is from a band formed from the ashes of Saetia called Hot Cross. A totally different sound but you can hear the roots of Saetia. This is from Cryonics, another amazing CD. This is the first track. Again, PM me and I'll post more/email a full zip. Their drummer was the original drummer for Interpol

04-hot cross-a tale for the ages (http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1YEV20L8S2C473M78SUFCGF9UN)
05-hot cross-dissertation 14 (http://s41.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1O20OGWELA3LJ3LZSMZ37BJ6YW)

Those are my 5 contributions. Tried to get some stuff that's a little bit off the beaten path of normal hardcore. If this isn't good enough I'll upload some local stuff from my days in the western new york (buffalo/rochester/syracuse) hardcore scene. I'm going to bed. Post some [censored] while I'm sleeping and I'll bump this tomorrow if it dies since I know some people who will be interested in this.

lucas9000
09-08-2005, 11:59 PM
oh hell yes. and you started it off with skycamefalling! this thread will pwn!

i wish i still had my skycamefalling pencil.

mason55
09-09-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
oh hell yes. and you started it off with skycamefalling! this thread will pwn!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I knew if I posted crappy crap like Atreyu I would get my ass handed to me. I spent about 30 minutes finding some stuff that would both appeal and not get my flamed off into infinity.

mason55
09-09-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought an xTHROWDOWNx thong for a girl once and their show. We broke up. I should have stolen it back.

Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 12:12 AM
OK, I'll DEFINITELY be listening.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 12:13 AM
do people like the hope conspiracy?

i know the drummer for that band.

im so out of the hardcore scene these days. i know nothing about it at all anymore.

also, turning point, im friends with the frontman from that band too. they were mega popular on the E.C... i think jade tree released a retrospective CD with jay on the cover.

the dude from turning point went on to form Lenola (see awesome bands nobody else knows about thread).

and that about ends my hard core knowledge these days.

unless anyone wants to get down to some bloodlet?

mason55
09-09-2005, 12:15 AM
hope conspiracy is awesome. very underrated. havent listened to them in years, going to now though.

Voltron87
09-09-2005, 12:20 AM
mason what is your avatar?

mason55
09-09-2005, 12:22 AM
picture of a straight edge dude in Courage Crew... a "straight edge hardcore" gang that I used to have a bunch of friends in.

edit: his throat says "LIFER" and his knuckles say "DRUG FREE"

Voltron87
09-09-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
picture of a straight edge dude in Courage Crew... a "straight edge hardcore" gang that I used to have a bunch of friends in.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really dont get people who are really into being straight edge. its not that i think people who dont do drugs/drink are lame, but getting so into it and being so amped about it is weird. being in a gang for it, all that, i dont get it.

mason55
09-09-2005, 12:29 AM
you're preaching to the choir. i never understood it and was never into it.

had an aquaintence go to jail for killing someone because he was drunk. i don't effin get it.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 12:33 AM
this reminds me of all the crews that used to come to the HC shows and just cause fights 'n [censored]

FSU crew.. they all used to wear stackhouse jersey's and always start a fight, hence FSU = f**k s**t up

mason55
09-09-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this reminds me of all the crews that used to come to the HC shows and just cause fights 'n [censored]

FSU crew.. they all used to wear stackhouse jersey's and always start a fight, hence FSU = f**k s**t up

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i've heard of them. where are you from?

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i really dont get people who are really into being straight edge. its not that i think people who dont do drugs/drink are lame, but getting so into it and being so amped about it is weird. being in a gang for it, all that, i dont get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a pride thing. the gang part is dumb though.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Saetia.

[/ QUOTE ]

kind of reminds me of brothers keeper, only better. (i was never much of a brothers keeper fan.)

[ QUOTE ]
some local stuff from my days in the western new york (buffalo/rochester/syracuse) hardcore scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

when were you around there? i was in syracuse from like 96-01 (though 96-97 were by far better than later on, and i know i missed out on a lot pre-96 around there).

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 12:53 AM
illadelph by way of new jeruz

in other words, i grew up in jersey. spent most of my free time skating in philly etc.

now i live in philly.

you?

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 01:12 AM
sadly i doubt i'll have much to contribute that the hardcore kids haven't already heard. but hey, you never know, and [censored] it.

torn apart "free myself" (http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1HZ68OFV7GMA30JLBNDNLG63XD) - a great song off my favorite hardcore album ever.

mason55
09-09-2005, 09:33 AM
bump for the morning crowd (matty et. al)

mason55
09-09-2005, 09:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
some local stuff from my days in the western new york (buffalo/rochester/syracuse) hardcore scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

when were you around there? i was in syracuse from like 96-01 (though 96-97 were by far better than later on, and i know i missed out on a lot pre-96 around there).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the Rock from 01-04 but had friends in Buffalo and Syracuse. There was a mini-renaissance starting in 01 when Enterprise Hardcore really got off the ground and started promoting the [censored] out of shows every week.

lighterjobs
09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you're preaching to the choir. i never understood it and was never into it.

had an aquaintence go to jail for killing someone because he was drunk. i don't effin get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always respected the straight edge kids until I heard about stuff like this happening a few years ago. beating the hell out of winos etc. shits crazy.

mason55
09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
18 years in columbus oh, 3 years in rochester ny, living in DC ever since.

FouTight
09-09-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, I believe these are the morons that tried to start [censored] with some of my firends. They won't do drugs, drink, or have sex, but they'll beat you up if you don't agree with them.

Also, hope that guy has fun tryign to find a job with all that ridiculous [censored] on his neck and hands. I'm fine with tats, but thats just stupid.

ChipWrecked
09-09-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

edit: his throat says "LOSER" and his knuckles say "JOB FREE"

[/ QUOTE ]

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 09:49 AM
hahaahahahaha... I didnt see this and I just posted my thread.

Ill just post it here.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
I made my own post without seeing Mason's..here's what I wrote.

As promised.

Hardcore is not just a style of music, it's a lifestyle. There's no preconceptions, no dress code and no barriers. I wear a suit to work and I still consider myself a "hardcore kid" err man...

The bands that represent what hardcore is, may not be what you think.

Those who know, know. Those who don't know will mention a band like Mudvayne (who rock) but say, they're hardcore right?
No.

Some of the best hardcore bands of all time sound like the whiney emo of the now; because hardcore is a scene, it's a way of living and it's something that will always be with you. From Agnostic Front to Deadguy, to the promise ring to Earth Crisis to Hatebreed to Coheed and Cambria-- all have their place in the Hardcore Scene.

To quote Silent Majority;

"To me this is a lifestyle, not some stupid trend, and years from now when their all gone, I'll pray that we're still friends..."

This thread is for bringing up all the good hardcore bands; linking to their songs, BSing about the "scene", old school, new school, sxe, skinhead, metalcore, emocore, screamo and whateverthefuck else you think is relevent.

Just keep it hardcore.

Here's one of my favorite older bands.

Grade - Conceptualizing Theories in Motion MP3 (http://www.downloadpunk.com/?action=website.DownloadFreeSong&id=6970)

P.S. First one to post an Inside Out song get's a cookie.

steelcmg
09-09-2005, 09:51 AM
to bad im at work i would post a few songs since no one else is.

09-09-2005, 09:53 AM
This qualifies as hardcore? I listened to that first song and it reminded me of Linkin Park except screamy.

I guess this is today's hardcore, just like Greenday is today's punk.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Nice SkyCameFalling. Did you know....

Insert snotty MMBTONE comment here.

ChipWrecked
09-09-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I guess this is today's hardcore, just like Greenday is today's punk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still in mourning over reading, in that other thread, the phrases 'pop punk' and 'mall punk'....

...did you hear that? Sid V. spinning in his grave?

Shajen
09-09-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As promised.

Hardcore is not just a style of music, it's a lifestyle. There's no preconceptions, no dress code and no barriers. I wear a suit to work and I still consider myself a "hardcore kid" err man...

Those who know, know. Those who don't know will mention a band like Mudvayne (who rock) but say, they're hardcore right?
No.

Some of the best hardcore bands of all time sound like the whiney emo of the now; because hardcore is a scene, it's a way of living and it's something that will always be with you. From Agnostic Front to Deadguy, to the promise ring to Earth Crisis to Hatebreed to Coheed and Cambria-- all have their place in the Hardcore Scene.

"To me this is a lifestyle, not some stupid trend, and years from now when their all gone, I'll pray that we're still friends..."

This thread is for bringing up all the good hardcore bands; linking to their songs, BSing about the "scene", old school, new school, sxe, skinhead, metalcore, emocore, screamo and whateverthefuck else you think is relevent.

Just keep it hardcore.

Grade - Conceptualizing Theories in Motion MP3 (http://www.downloadpunk.com/?action=website.DownloadFreeSong&id=6970)

[/ QUOTE ]

What's with the no booze and no drugs stuff?

I know a kid who claims he's hardcore cause he's vegan and doesn't drink/smoke/enjoy life at all and he seems [censored] miserable.

I don't get it. Is there more to it than this, or is it just a "click"-type thing?

To me, it's just lame, but I don't have much to base that opinion on. Change my mind, Matty.

ChipWrecked
09-09-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
claims he's hardcore

[/ QUOTE ]

Instant disqualification. Like the 'extreme' guys in Harold and Kumar.

*sigh* [censored] it, I'm too old for this thread. I'm gonna go tell some kids to get off my lawn.

steelcmg
09-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Im listening to a mix of blood has been shed and all that remains right now.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As promised.

No.

Just keep it hardcore.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's with the no booze and no drugs stuff?

I know a kid who claims he's hardcore cause he's vegan and doesn't drink/smoke/enjoy life at all and he seems [censored] miserable.

I don't get it. Is there more to it than this, or is it just a "click"-type thing?

To me, it's just lame, but I don't have much to base that opinion on. Change my mind, Matty.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok i used to be straightedge (don't even start with the "if you're not now you never were" /images/graemlins/wink.gif ), so i can give you my perspective.

it's definitely NOT about not enjoying life. while there were/are kids who did it just to fit into a scene they wanted to be a part of, there are also a lot of people who did it because it made sense to them. in my case, i had no desire to do any drugs or drink. for a while i wouldn't use the term "straightedge," even though i was. eventually i caved in and used that term, and it is almost a pride thing. like, you're doing what makes sense for yourself and not drinking and [censored] just for the sake of fitting in. i never had a problem with people who drank or did drugs (nearly all my friends did), it was simply a personal choice. for me, it was the way i wanted to be, and thus i enjoyed life more for it. but at the same time, when it seemed like i wanted to live differently, not for anyone else but for myself, i did and now i'm no longer straightedge.

i was never involved with any kind of conflict between straightedge and non-straightedge kids. sure i've heard of it, but you have to understand that sometimes it started with a bunch of drunk meatheads [censored] with a group of straightedge kids, and then the straightedge kids lashing out. it's not like gangs of straightedge kids prowled the streets looking for drunks to beat up (well, not usually). for example, in syracuse there is a pretty popular skate spot right on the hill across the street from college bars. so, a bunch of straightedge kids might be skating one night, and at the same time a bunch of frat-meathead-douches might come out of the bar and decide to talk [censored] and act tough. well, next thing you know the frat boys are getting beat down. oh well.

anyway i'm rambling, but the bottom line is that for me, and a lot of others, straightedge was a personal choice that you did because it made sense to you as a lifestyle.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 10:11 AM
There's hardcore bands who just talk about getting drunk and partying. SXE is actually separate from hardcore, but it used hardcore as a major influence. I believe Lucas9000 has posted in detail. So I'll leave it to him.

mmbt0ne
09-09-2005, 10:11 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't you be out getting a $150 haircut or something Mr. Metrosexual?

/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There's hardcore bands who just talk about getting drunk and partying. SXE is actually separate from hardcore, but it used hardcore as a major influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great point. hardcore was around before the "straightedge thing," and there have been and always will be hardcore bands that aren't straightedge.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever, post some friggin songs.

mmbt0ne
09-09-2005, 10:16 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whatever, post some friggin songs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would, but I'm about to take my car to go get checked up, and have them turn off the stupid "INSP MAINTENANCE" light that has been on for the last 3k miles.

But, for the purpose of this thread, does stuff like Planes Mistaken for Stars, and Eighteen Visions and whatnot count?

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There's hardcore bands who just talk about getting drunk and partying. SXE is actually separate from hardcore, but it used hardcore as a major influence.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great point. hardcore was around before the "straightedge thing," and there have been and always will be hardcore bands that aren't straightedge.

[/ QUOTE ]

sxe is a small scene within hardcore. there was a time in the 90s (about when myself and Lucas were heavily into it) that SXE was very popular, (Earth Crisis, Path of Resistence, Snapcase..) now? I don't know any real big sxe bands.

In college, my freshman year term paper was "Hardcore and its affect on youth movements".

Many people used hardcore as a vehichle for politics, animal rights and to get the sxe message out. while, others, just liked playing good/different music that was accessible. But people realized that hardcore was the perfect way to get any sort of counter culture message out.

I just want to say, that one of the best things about growing up in a hardcore scene, is that 2-3 times a week, there's place for a teenager to go for 5-8 bucks and see 7 or 8 bands. Some of those bands were actually really good.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But, for the purpose of this thread, does stuff like Planes Mistaken for Stars, and Eighteen Visions and whatnot count?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think 18 visions counts. maybe they're "post-hardcore" (whatever that means). and hey, they're on trustkill /images/graemlins/smile.gif

steelcmg
09-09-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think 18 visions counts. maybe they're "post-hardcore" (whatever that means). and hey, they're on trustkill /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes 18 visions counts in my book great band.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a relevant song: h2o "here today, gone tomorrow" (http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0N3ICKYIGGRB60MNK85BQII5V1)

mmbt0ne
09-09-2005, 10:25 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well no one say any of their songs until I get back. I want to contribute.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a relevant song: h2o "here today, gone tomorrow" (http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0N3ICKYIGGRB60MNK85BQII5V1)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in an h20 video.

<font color="white"> fuck you ryan, i'm gonna name drop in this thread until the cows come home</font>

Voltron87
09-09-2005, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, nh

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the Rock from 01-04 but had friends in Buffalo and Syracuse. There was a mini-renaissance starting in 01 when Enterprise Hardcore really got off the ground and started promoting the [censored] out of shows every week.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. i think the main problem with my latter years in syracuse was the decline in the number of shows, due in large part to john mckaig no longer wanting to be the only one putting on shows (so i heard). once he stepped back, i guess it took a little while for that void to be filled. also i think that hungry charleys' closing sucked, because most of the great hardcore shows i saw were there.

steelcmg
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well no one say any of their songs until I get back. I want to contribute.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a kick ass song:
3. The Psychotic Thought

death to your king in his glorified horror.
killing time.
bathing in his own beautiful sin.
kill your maker and the shadows will unleash a forgotten soul.
releasing the evil within.
the human nature of a bloodbath.
born by the night.
let them take praise to this extinction.
who wears the horns now?
the psychotic thought that you gave us..."kill each other or i will kill you."
he has spoken with a forked tongue.
the prophecies begin to unfold.
you sold your soul to the devil for a day
and now your kingdom has fallen to his reign.
don't you know?
you're the devils advocate...satans' psychotic thought.
and in this dying hour of life,
the prophetic one leads the non-believers into war.
you had it all planned out.
and i saw at winters solace that you tried to freeze hell over.
laugh at me while i burn in ecstasy.
laugh at me while i burn.
one true armageddon.
god is his own antichrist.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 11:04 AM
[censored] where in DC?

i went to college in annapolis... hung out a bunch in DC recently as my gf was living there in crystal city.

but 18 yrs in dirty jerz, 4 yrs in annapolis MD, 2 1/4 yrs in philadelphia.

PITTM
09-09-2005, 11:05 AM
worst thread ever. i still have an x in my aim screenname from hs /images/graemlins/frown.gif. i went to hellfest 2001 in ny and was pretty down at that point. i have since completely separated myself from that.

rj

steelcmg
09-09-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
worst thread ever. i still have an x in my aim screenname from hs /images/graemlins/frown.gif. i went to hellfest 2001 in ny and was pretty down at that point. i have since completely separated myself from that.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea i think the hardcore thing is goin to [censored] hellfest was cancled like the day before the show because the stupid ass guys didnt have a good sound guy enought security and a few other things. What a F"n joke how do u have a concert planed for months and not hire enough security. So most of the bands ended up playing at local clubs and stuff like the troc.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 11:15 AM
if i can find my CD that has grade's covre of panama, i'll post that.

because you havent lived unless youv'e heard grade cover panama.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

worst thread ever? [censored] you. contribute and make it better, or piss off.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 11:27 AM
i sed to be se too (and i opt for the same plea against argument as lucas), and i can tell you exactl why i did it: i hung out with s.e. kids. i skated with straight edge kids. i listened to hardcore (started off with some orange 9mm, developed from there), and i had a desire to be accepted on their grounds and not for me.

stupid mistake of h.s. insecurity i guess. before being s.e. i drank, i smoked pot etc etc and then late freshman yaer of HS, i attempted to conform.

the s.e. kids were for the most part fools. early extreme forms of elitism... and im almost positive all of them are now on coke except for like 1 kid, who is in hail social go check 'em out i think they're on poly vinyl, who still sticks to it. unbeleivable.

ok, enough confessions.

as for orange 9, i dug out those old CD's recently and gave 'em a listen... and damn i could not sit through an entire track. even the nostalgia has worn off these days for me.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as for orange 9, i dug out those old CD's recently and gave 'em a listen... and damn i could not sit through an entire track. even the nostalgia has worn off these days for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember them being about 1000% better live than on cd. on cd they always sounded flat and lame. live they were great though. i loved how the bass player didn't use a mic...he'd just yell REALLY LOUD.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 11:42 AM
holy crap dude! you are sXe HC famous yo!

thats pretty sweet! how'd you land that? was it by chance? or did you have some connection?

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 11:46 AM
but power pop is ok right?

we cool?

(only to separate weezer/brian wilson from jessica simpson/gwen stefani.)

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 12:02 PM
ahhh the troq... first big HC show was there.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i can find my CD that has grade's covre of panama, i'll post that.

because you havent lived unless youv'e heard grade cover panama.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have the first album, with Ziggy Stardust?

steelcmg
09-09-2005, 12:14 PM
yes it is by far the best place to see a show. I just saw Naplm death and obituary there 2 days ago

mmbt0ne
09-09-2005, 03:06 PM

thats pretty sweet! how'd you land that? was it by chance? or did you have some connection?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has lots of connections. Like, having been in one of the bands in the OP. There, I dropped it for you.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has lots of connections. Like, having been in one of the bands in the OP. There, I dropped it for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

this requires explanation and elaboration.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. this isn't entirely true. but thanks!

mmbt0ne
09-09-2005, 03:12 PM
haha

I'm 99% positive he's gone over this before in OOT, but in the off chance he hasn't, and doesn't want it known, I'll leave it up to you to search the archives or wait for him to answer.

JaBlue
09-09-2005, 03:15 PM
A Retrospective is definitely an awesome album.

Soul Daddy
09-09-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this isn't entirely true.

[/ QUOTE ]
The members of your former band formed one of the bands in the OP, right? Just come clean, it's been said before. I just don't remember it.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha

I'm 99% positive he's gone over this before in OOT, but in the off chance he hasn't, and doesn't want it known, I'll leave it up to you to search the archives or wait for him to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in a crappy Long Island band, me and the drummer went away to college.

Our Story: We got some legs in 96, and we thought we were good. We put out a few demos, got some Long Island radio play, but in hindsite we were really bad. We were really only a blip. We did play with hatebreed and glassjaw and other fairly successful bands, but so did 100 other crappy LI bands. !996-1998 was just a huge boom for hardcore; it was so popular.

Anyway right before we broke up, my two friends from high school/bandmates formed skycamefalling with our other friend Parker and this kid Chris from a band Abstain, that we used to play. (Parker was a very good friend of ours, who I wanted to replace our drummer so we could keep my crappy band together) There is a direct link to my band as they used one of our songs on the first goodlife album.

It turned out, their new singer was 1000 times more talented then me, and they wrote some great stuff and had a fairly successful hardcore band, while I went to college, got real drunk and now wear a suit. I'm not bitter at all..

NYHC/LIHC stuff is just the fact that I hung around a lot at shows in my first year of college in nyc and from just playing shows with them. At this point its been so long, they only know me by face or maybe by nickname.

Mr. MMBTONE likes to give me crap because I have mentioned this a few times, but he has to realize my life has all been downhill since 19 and it's all I have to hold on to. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: for poor grammer, im swamped at my job. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I even found an old flyer on the east coast hardcore site a while back.

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos720/1/96/39/31/84/6/684313996103_0_ALB.jpg

JaBlue
09-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah, AFI's Black Sails in the Sunset is one of my favorite albums ever.

Shajen
09-09-2005, 04:39 PM
so is it still hardcore if they are mainstream and get radio play all the time like AFI?

JaBlue
09-09-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so is it still hardcore if they are mainstream and get radio play all the time like AFI?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard a song from Black Sails in the Sunset on the radio.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the true hardcore kids won't turn their backs. just like any music fan. if any dude started hating on modest mouse because they are huge now, i wouldn't respect him, [censored], as a person. its just lame. unfortunately theres a lot of lame people in any music scene, so this happens.

Klepton
09-09-2005, 04:55 PM
i guess i'll use this thread to ask people what they think of the new every time i die album, or what they think of that band in general.

to be honest, i'm very disappointed in the new album.

Soul Daddy
09-09-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if any dude started hating on modest mouse because they are huge now, i wouldn't respect him, [censored], as a person. its just lame. unfortunately theres a lot of lame people in any music scene, so this happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not that this has anything to do with hardcore, but I want to type. I agree with what you're saying in general. But in the specific case of Modest Mouse, you can make an undeniable connection between their style changing and their success. I happen to love it all, but I do prefer their older material and can see how longtime fans might be put off.

09-09-2005, 05:02 PM
I have been into hardcore and straight edge for 5 years. It's come to the point where I hate talking about it because I'm automatically labeled. I don't even tell people I'm edge anymore. It's something I do for myself and don't feel like I need to explain it to anyone else.

Anyways, in terms of music, metal != hardcore. That is my first point. Blood Has Been Shed is a good metal band. They are not hardcore.

There are still plenty of "big" straight edge bands in the scene. Champion is my favorite. Also, there is Have Heart, Embrace Today (bleh), and Righteous Jams.

Anyways, I love Turning Point. I think Think Fast Records just released the discography on vinyl. I am too poor for that though. GET BACK and WHAT FEEDS THE FIRE are my favorite songs by them.

If anyone is interested in chatting about the 'core, just IM me instead. See user name.

09-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Also, why does OP have COURAGE CREW- LIFER as his location and a picture as his avatar? He said he wasn't Courage Crew....

Weird.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if any dude started hating on modest mouse because they are huge now, i wouldn't respect him, [censored], as a person. its just lame. unfortunately theres a lot of lame people in any music scene, so this happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not that this has anything to do with hardcore, but I want to type. I agree with what you're saying in general. But in the specific case of Modest Mouse, you can make an undeniable connection between their style changing and their success. I happen to love it all, but I do prefer their older material and can see how longtime fans might be put off.

[/ QUOTE ]

well then in their case your beef would be with their change of style, not their success. presumably if they made the same style change, but didn't achieve the success they have, you'd still be put off. that's much different than being put off simply because they're more popular/successful now.

Soul Daddy
09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well then in their case your beef would be with their change of style, not their success. presumably if they made the same style change, but didn't achieve the success they have, you'd still be put off. that's much different than being put off simply because they're more popular/successful now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely correct. But does anyone really outwardly say, "I don't like them now because they're too popular?" In a case where I didn't know enough about the band to validate this shift in style, I would probably assume that this line was bs and they are really just a douche that doesn't like anything that's popular.

nef
09-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I guess im old(or off base), because when i saw this thread I thought of Gorilla Biscuits, Chain of Strength, Negative Approach, Madball, that was the stuff I liked. Never had many friends into hxc(or many friends period--time to write a suicide post i guess), though I did lead a sxe lifestyle for a few years. Now i lead a life of moderation, works much better.

I also liked Youth of Today, there's a little dig at them in that H2O song, I [censored] loved H2O, I saw them at fireside bowl here in chicago in '98 or so and it was a great show.

I just mp3'd this for the f of it and tried you send it

Gorilla Biscuits - New Direction (http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3GQUQ7W4OEB3E3K5E4PAWUCK87)

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess im old(or off base), because when i saw this thread I thought of Gorilla Biscuits, Chain of Strength, Negative Approach, Madball, that was the stuff I liked. Never had many friends into hxc(or many friends period--time to write a suicide post i guess), though I did lead a sxe lifestyle for a few years. Now i lead a life of moderation, works much better.

I also liked Youth of Today, there's a little dig at them in that H2O song, I [censored] loved H2O, I saw them at fireside bowl here in chicago in '98 or so and it was a great show.

Gorilla Biscuits - New Direction (http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3GQUQ7W4OEB3E3K5E4PAWUCK87)

[/ QUOTE ]

"the youth of yesterday, what else can I say.."

You're on target man. That stuff was a few years before my time, and I would think a little out of reach for the younger guys here.

Good [censored].

Tonights gym soundtrack will be h20 and gorilla biscuits.

DrunkHamster
09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Norma Jean, Converge and Circle Takes The Square. End Of Thread.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Norma Jean, Converge and Circle Takes The Square. End Of Thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close.

Botch, Coalesce, Closure.

DrunkHamster
09-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Botch and Coalesce rule, don't know about the other one. Damn its hard to get good hardcore over here.

09-09-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate this.

Madball. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about some Killing Time? Merauder? Buried Alive? Any of the other tougher stuff?

....hmm older stuff...

Biohazard?
Burn?
TYF?
Uniform Choice?

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Botch and Coalesce rule, don't know about the other one. Damn its hard to get good hardcore over here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Closure is a sick LIHC band, 1996 before people even thought of "screamo" --that never made it. I will burn and upload at some point.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate this.

Madball. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about some Killing Time? Merauder? Buried Alive? Any of the other tougher stuff?

....hmm older stuff...

Biohazard?
Burn?
TYF?
Uniform Choice?

[/ QUOTE ]

ohh Orange 9mm.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ohh Orange 9mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

what was the singer's band before o9mm? i'm totally drawing a blank!

billymonk
09-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Besides the Gorilla Biscuits, all the songs in this thread stink. Skycamefalling? Talk of xThrowdownx? Merauder? It all sucks.
Since I don't "yousendit" I will just say that we should be sent: Cro-Mags, Youth of Today, Bold, Warzone.
More recent: Ten Yard Fight, In My Eyes, Floorpunch.
Even more recent: Mental, Suicide File, Champion, Striking Distance.
And I missed a lot of other good bands, but you get the idea.

mason55
09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Why don't you effin YSI some songs instead of just complaining about crap?

Jesus... Don't you listen to any of the lyrics of the bands you mentioned? Most of them are about making a change, not sitting around complaining about crap that other people do.

mason55
09-09-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, why does OP have COURAGE CREW- LIFER as his location and a picture as his avatar? He said he wasn't Courage Crew....

Weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found the pic and thought it was funny cause it was a pic of a kid in CC and I knew a bunch of those kids back in the day.

billymonk
09-09-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why don't you effin YSI some songs instead of just complaining about crap?

Jesus... Don't you listen to any of the lyrics of the bands you mentioned? Most of them are about making a change, not sitting around complaining about crap that other people do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said: "Since I don't "yousendit""

Anyways, yes, I do listen to the lyrics, yes I understand it is positive music and a lot of it preaches positive change, but that still does not take away from the fact I don't have a yousendit account (do I need one?) nor do I have the time right now.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a yousendit account (do I need one?) nor do I have the time right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't need an account. you just go to the site, select the file you want to upload, then upload it. when it's done uploading it gives you a link to the file that you can then post here. the uploading does take time though...and it's even more time consumign if you have to rip the song from a cd first.

09-09-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides the Gorilla Biscuits, all the songs in this thread stink. Skycamefalling? Talk of xThrowdownx? Merauder? It all sucks.
Since I don't "yousendit" I will just say that we should be sent: Cro-Mags, Youth of Today, Bold, Warzone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skycamefalling and Throwdown...alright.

But Merauder! Boooooooo.

Add Wrong Side, Bad Business, Risky Business, Know The Score, These Days, Outbreak, Blacklisted to the newer stuff.

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 07:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ohh Orange 9mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

burn

mason55
09-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Ok... home from work.

Since I only saw like 2 effin songs posted I'll YSI some more.

#1: The band is Saving Throw and they're from Syracuse. Not sure if they ever made it out of the local scene, they hadn't when I left western NY. They're more on the metal side but he has a great screaming voice, something I'm a sucker for.

01-Saving Throw-Wish for thought full reasons (http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1B40LDNMGK8WG16DUA4P0OGIWT)

#2 Stretch Arm Strong. This song is for the haters. Another song that's a little more metal. If you have a problem shut up and post your own song. They sound kind of like Snapcase.

02 - Stretch Arm Strong - Means to an End (http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36T6VSXPLBOTN0TLE8OFSUU3GS)

#3 is Nakatomi Plaza (recognize the name? think Die Hard). They're made up of a couple members of the now defunct De La Hoya (who were a great band). Not sure where they are now, haven't heard much about them lately. This is off their private property release.

01 - Nakatomi Plaza - Meanwhile in Greenpoint (http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=099JBYBO1Z7JJ3J41A4NJ6GAUM)

Lastly, something nice and hard. Everyone's favorite (or not so much) straight edge band, xTHROWDOWNx. I love this song live even though I'm not edge

xTHROWDOWNx - Raise your fist (http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1JCZIR4TIYKRK2VAMQSTUWEPWI)

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ohh Orange 9mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

burn

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget:

The Refused

Also, early emo is hardcore, same scene. I don't know if you kids know that or not but in the mid 90s, Coalesce would tour with the Get Up Kids, Piebald would tour with (metal) Cave In and so on.

Mineral
Texas Is The Reason
Clockwise
Boy Sets Fire

More obscure hardcore:

Spitfire
Countervail
Jesuit

Let's not forget all that is Walter Schreiffels..

Quicksand.

mason55
09-09-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nice. i think the main problem with my latter years in syracuse was the decline in the number of shows, due in large part to john mckaig no longer wanting to be the only one putting on shows (so i heard). once he stepped back, i guess it took a little while for that void to be filled. also i think that hungry charleys' closing sucked, because most of the great hardcore shows i saw were there.

[/ QUOTE ]

you ever go to armory high? i loved that place. i was so sad when it shut down.

mason55
09-09-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Anyway right before we broke up, my two friends from high school/bandmates formed skycamefalling with our other friend Parker and this kid Chris from a band Abstain, that we used to play. (Parker was a very good friend of ours, who I wanted to replace our drummer so we could keep my crappy band together) There is a direct link to my band as they used one of our songs on the first goodlife album.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow that's awesome.

got any of your old stuff you can YSI???

i guess i'll plug my (no longer updated) site that i did with a friend, http://www.hardcorelyrics.com

IndieMatty
09-09-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow that's awesome.

got any of your old stuff you can YSI???

i guess i'll plug my (no longer updated) site that i did with a friend, http://www.hardcorelyrics.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a very crapily recorded tape, I made a thread about converting tape to mp3, that I have yet to utilize. I have many threads stating that I am extremely lazy when it comes to "tasks".

I have two songs, that are listenable. (we were 18 so we have an excuse); at some point in the next month, I will burn and post for the world to make fun. And I can taunt Cameron on the Sleeping message board.

billymonk
09-09-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Skycamefalling and Throwdown...alright.

But Merauder! Boooooooo.

Add Wrong Side, Bad Business, Risky Business, Know The Score, These Days, Outbreak, Blacklisted to the newer stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome, another Outbreak fan. I got their demo and it's really good stuff.

billymonk
09-09-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a yousendit account (do I need one?) nor do I have the time right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't need an account. you just go to the site, select the file you want to upload, then upload it. when it's done uploading it gives you a link to the file that you can then post here. the uploading does take time though...and it's even more time consumign if you have to rip the song from a cd first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool. In that case, when I'm on my home computer next, I will step up stop my complaining.

mason55
09-09-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Cool. In that case, when I'm on my home computer next, I will step up stop my complaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweeeeeeeeet /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nef
09-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Uniform Choice! Man, my old cd collection is decimated but I still have some of my favorites. Not familiar with some of the others, but it'll be good to check them out. Cliche, but I also always loved Minor Threat.

Uniform Choice - Something to Say (http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2YH3VRNTGY1ER2VYWL64M6JE11)

Chain of Strength - The Space Between (http://s11.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XE422V98XCNP133U8QUGIUO64)

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you ever go to armory high? i loved that place. i was so sad when it shut down.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm trying to remember where that place was. i recognize the name. was that the place on erie blvd. near adult world?

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget all that is Walter Schreiffels..

Quicksand.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO GOOD! seeing them and snapcase at the same show is a highlight from back in the day for me.

lucas9000
09-09-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
xTHROWDOWNx - Raise your fist (http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1JCZIR4TIYKRK2VAMQSTUWEPWI)

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my kind of hardcore. screaming...metal/mosh-ish...good sing-along parts...sweet.

lucas9000
09-11-2005, 10:19 PM
let's not allow this thread to die just yet. a couple things...

first, here's a song from a sort of one-time project band some friends did. the recording is rough (i think they did it in a guy's basement), but it's pretty good, and probably about the only thing i could contribute to this thread that no one has heard before /images/graemlins/smile.gif link: hayes quintet - irrigation (http://s23.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=22KHI13YIO2I21M90NCMDSLTV5)

second, how about recommending some stuff for me? here are some hardcore bands that i really like, and the list should give you an idea of what kind of hardcore i like. bands i like:

torn apart
snapcase
endeavor
harvest
earth crisis
throwdown
skycamefalling
walls of jericho
turmoil

that's all i can think of off the top of my head right now, but it should give you a good idea of what i'm looking for. so, recommend away (or better yet, post some songs).

smokingrobot
09-12-2005, 01:28 AM
how about some lifetime... a little of jersey's best dancers perhaps?

Blarg
09-12-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pathetic.

Blarg
09-12-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

lucas9000
09-12-2005, 02:38 PM
selfish bump so that maybe i can get more recommendations.

DrunkHamster
09-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Shai Hulud.

IndieMatty
10-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Here's a local Long Island band from the mid 90s. They were doing screamo at like 17 yrs old and they only released one EP. They are awesome.

Closure (http://rapidshare.de/files/5968560/01_Km.m4a.html)