PDA

View Full Version : Fish Based Poker

surfdoc
09-08-2005, 11:01 PM
I have been toying around with the idea of playing only in games where I have a noted fish. I have built quite a list over the last few years and can always find someone. I am wondering if anyone has done this routinely. What I am getting at is whether or not it is profitable to play multiple limits and both full ring and short. (Of course skipping micros even if there is a big donk there) Anyone anticipate any problems this might create?

XXXNoahXXX
09-08-2005, 11:16 PM
I've actually practiced this for the past few months. (I don't know whether its a good thing or kinda sad when one of my 100NL fish moved to 400NL before me. HOwever, I think you can largely ignore some of the bankroll requirements for entering larger games when it comes to fish hunting. 50NL can be as pofitable as 100NL if theres a paticular fish. Upper limits, be sure its not too high, I once saw a favorite fish taking a ridiculous shot at 2000NL but I knew better than to join and was resigned to watch him blow all his money. It actually makes things fun, like your chasing some prey throughout varied environments. Just remember that you'll need to play lots of hands against the other players in your attempt to isolate the fish, so don't extend yourself too far beyond skill or bankroll levels.

surfdoc
09-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Yeah, this is what I am getting at. i am amazed to see the same guy in the 30/60 and the next day the 1/2 and then back up again. I have unfortunately run poorly almost every time I jumped into a big game even though I felt my edge was huge. The idea of being solid shorthanded and full and having the roll to jump up and the discipline to play 3/6 with your A game is driving this but I am not sure it is better than just focusing on a particular limit and grinding. I am sure the guys playing the bigger games have to do this because there aren't that many games.

Dan Mezick
09-09-2005, 01:03 AM
I saw a post from a winning player that stated he played profitably online by playing Limit, SnG and Ring games. He went on to say he based his decisions on what stakes and games and formats to play based on 'conditions'.

I think this is working for many pro players online. Likely also that this is seldom actually discussed.

See also:
Building a Fishy Buddy List (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3032089&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=5#Post3355674)