PDA

View Full Version : Horrid level of stupidity (Millionaire gameshow as I was browsing TV)

boondockst
09-08-2005, 10:08 PM
What the hell is the general American public coming to?

I didn't even know the "Who wants to be a Millionaire" question was still on.

For those of you who forgot, the first 5 (of 15) questions are a cakewalk, with the music and seriousness only kicking up until AFTER those "easy" questions.

So it's apparently walk-on day at Walt Disney World for the show and they randomly pick a guest from the audience who's been waiting since dawn, yadda, yadda.

They call out a name and this black woman in a power suit starts letting out these guttoral yells and during her brief interview states that she "watches everday and can see herself on the show" and that she "usually answers all the questions right"

Her first question is, "what document starts, july 4 1776, etc" and she gets it

She had to use ask the audience on the following question 2 ($200):

In the kitchen, a small hourglass that usually runs between three and five minutes is called a what?

a. Egg timer
b. Toast timer
c. Pasta timer
d. Steak timer

The audience provided the correct answer, egg timer.

Her next question, even TOUGHER (well hell, it was for $300!) was:

Which of these types of footwear are usually at least 25 inches long and up to 12 inches wide?

a. In-line skates
b. Hiking boots
c. Galoshes
d. Snowshoes

"Michelle" decided she needed to "play it safe" and decided to use her 50/50 option and remove two incorrect answers. WTF? Even if you have no idea what galoshes are, surely she must know inline-skates and hikings boots are not USUALLY 2 feet long. Maybe she just moved here from England (metric system?)

To make the matter even more laughable, the 50:50 left galoshes and snowshoes. Michelle decided to call her father to help her to the correct answer and he figured it out just before the 30 seconds ended. She even went so far as to ask him "How sure are you"

Ok, back to the football game

Dudd
09-08-2005, 11:24 PM
http://www.nearlygood.com/pictures/img/dumbmillionaire.jpg

kyro
09-08-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That can't be right. No, that just can't be right.

toss
09-08-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This has to be photoshopped, it has to be!

ClaytonN
09-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Did Howard Lederer have a sex change operation?

mason55
09-08-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This has to be photoshopped, it has to be!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously... It's a terrible photoshop at that.... Look at the marks behind the question...

Brainwalter
09-08-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That can't be right. No, that just can't be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, the moon is actually the largest.

Yeti
09-08-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You're right, the moon is actually the largest.

[/ QUOTE ]

vnh

SheetWise
09-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Dumb blonde joke -

Question: Which is closer, the moon or Miami?
Blonde: You dummy, you can't see Miami!

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you gotta be [censored] ing kidding me.

CrazyEyez
09-09-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow...good call. Frightening, but good.

csuf_gambler
09-09-2005, 12:42 AM
i think i found the problem

[ QUOTE ]

They call out a name and this black woman

[/ QUOTE ]

bwana devil
09-09-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's offical, csuf. youre a moron. im sorry i even doubted myself earlier today.

SlyAK
09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH!!

youtalkfunny
09-09-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's offical, csuf. youre a moron. im sorry i even doubted myself earlier today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, when people say the SAT's are "culturally biased", THIS is what they're talking about! People who grew up in the south (ie, most black people) have never seen a snowshoe. They never turned on the local news for coverage of a blizzard. They (generally) have no first-hand knowledge of anything related to snowblowers, skis, snowshovels, snowmobiles. They've never pulled a 2-foot icicle off the side of their house and used it for a popsicle.

As far as the egg-timer thing goes, I guess maybe poor people don't have the vast array of cooking utensils? I dunno, I'm reaching here. I never understood the "culturally biased" argument, until I saw this snowshoes question.

bravos1
09-09-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, when people say the SAT's are "culturally biased", THIS is what they're talking about! People who grew up in the south (ie, most black people) have never seen a snowshoe. They never turned on the local news for coverage of a blizzard. They (generally) have no first-hand knowledge of anything related to snowblowers, skis, snowshovels, snowmobiles. They've never pulled a 2-foot icicle off the side of their house and used it for a popsicle.

As far as the egg-timer thing goes, I guess maybe poor people don't have the vast array of cooking utensils? I dunno, I'm reaching here. I never understood the "culturally biased" argument, until I saw this snowshoes question.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how many people from the north know what Collard Greens are? I grew up in the south, well if you consider Miami, the south. Also grew up in the poorest areas and I was one of the few white people in the ghetto. I will be the first to say that this is not what causes stupidity. Ignorance is NO reason to be dumb. Most people are stupid because they don't care to be anything else.. most of my family, especially my sister is a great example of this!!!

imported_CaseClosed326
09-09-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to have to disagree.

zephed
09-09-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Punch yourself in the face.

You've embarassed yourself so many times here, why do you keep coming back?

bwana devil
09-09-2005, 09:37 AM
i understand where youre going w/ that however he posted the above shortly after http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3357028&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1 (this post.).

spamuell
09-09-2005, 09:58 AM
I quite often don't know the answer to the £300 question in WWTBAM even though I know lots of the later ones.

wtf is a galosh?

bwana devil
09-09-2005, 10:00 AM
it's a rain shoe. you limey. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

spamuell
09-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks. Now wtf is an inch? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwana devil
09-09-2005, 10:12 AM
we do know what it is we've just been struggling for centuries to figure out why we use it.

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People who grew up in the south (ie, most black people) have never seen a snowshoe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Fighting ignorance with ignorance.

09-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Let's stop all the fussin' and a feudin'. I'm pretty sure chimpanzees don't know what a snowshoe is either.

Yeti
[ QUOTE ]

wtf is a galosh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wellies.

diebitter
Heard a great answer on a radio quiz the other day:

Presenter: What month is named after the Roman god of war?
Contestant: Thursday!

PS. We tend to use inches and feet in England, not (spit) the metric system. There, you've learnt something!

RunDownHouse
09-09-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's stop all the fussin' and a feudin'. I'm pretty sure chimpanzees don't know what a snowshoe is either.

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, south of the Mason-Dixon, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a black person. True story!

antidan444
09-09-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely brilliant.

diebitter
09-09-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People who grew up in the south (ie, most black people) have never seen a snowshoe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy moley! When did they empty Africa?!?

spamuell
09-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Ohhh, wellies. Thanks.

Diebitter, I use cm quite a lot, but I'm 19. Still use imperial measurements as well, I think I choose fairly arbitrarily.

diebitter
09-09-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I use cm quite a lot, but I'm 19. Still use imperial measurements as well, I think I choose fairly arbitrarily.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're 19cm? Nearly 6 inches huh? Yeah, I'd use cm too.
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

spamuell
09-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Ho ho. No, that's one measurement that everyone uses inches for.

(Btw, off the top of my head I'm pretty sure 19cm is about 8 inches.)

diebitter
09-09-2005, 10:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ho ho. No, that's one measurement that everyone uses inches for.

(Btw, off the top of my head I'm pretty sure 19cm is about 8 inches.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my bad. I was thinking of 15cm, cos...well, never you mind.

youtalkfunny
09-11-2005, 02:42 AM
I knew I'd take some heat for that.

I live in Mississippi. In the last census, 37% of MS residents are black.

If the over/under on Maine is 37%, I'm taking the under.

siccjay
09-11-2005, 02:54 AM
This reminds me.

I went to see a movie (I think it was Halloween H20, irrelevant though) and they were playing the little boring triva questions before the movie starts.

The question was "What actor played Batman in the original Batman movie?" This brotha immediatley stands up and yells "Bruce Wayne!!!!" at the top of his lungs. It was [censored] awesome.

-Skeme-
09-11-2005, 03:12 AM
I had no idea wtf an egg timer was.