PDA

View Full Version : Poor Flop decision that put opponent on tilt

RockLobster
04-26-2003, 10:07 PM
Here's a PP 1-2 hand that I played the flop poorly, won, and had the benefit of putting one loudmouth on tilt (he proceded to lose $58 before leaving... presumably broke).

I'm in the BB with Q/forums/images/icons/spade.gif J/forums/images/icons/spade.gif. EP, MP, LP (loudmouth), button, SB, and I call. 6 to the flop:

[5/forums/images/icons/club.gif A/forums/images/icons/heart.gif T/forums/images/icons/heart.gif]

Checked to LP, who bets. UTG, SB, and I call (EP & MP fold). I know this was a bad call. I was getting 8.5 to 1 on my call, which is not enough for an inside straight (no backdoor flush). No excuses. 4 to the turn:

[5/forums/images/icons/club.gif A/forums/images/icons/heart.gif T/forums/images/icons/heart.gif] 9/forums/images/icons/club.gif

Checked to LP, who bets. Button calls, SB raises, I call 2 bets (getting 8 to 1 on my 6-out open-ender - there are 2 flush draws), others call. 4 to the river:

[5/forums/images/icons/club.gif A/forums/images/icons/heart.gif T/forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9/forums/images/icons/club.gif] 8/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

SB bets, I raise, LP calls, button folds, SB calls.

My nut is good. LP (loudmouth) had TT and went balistic. I sat quietly through this, but 3 hands later he was still commenting on my stupid play. I typed this:
Floorman? Please bring my friend over there a box of tissues.
Yes, set it right next to [his name].
Thanks.

This set him off even worse. Now I normally wouldn't do this (is this angling?), but I was sick of listening and thought I was justified. We verbally jousted a bit afterward, but he wasn't very good at it. As I said in the first paragraph, he stuck around for a while and dropped a decent amount.

Thoughts?

JTG51
04-27-2003, 12:19 AM
I was getting 8.5 to 1 on my call, which is not enough for an inside straight

If the flop was a rainbow giving you 4 nut outs, I think you'd have an easy call. 8.5-1 is enough for me in that spot. If you hit it, you'll easily make up the couple of extra small bets.

Having a flush draw on board gives your somewhere between 3 and 4 outs. That obviously makes the call worse, probably not as bad as you (or the loudmouth) are making it out to be though.

travisand
04-27-2003, 01:08 AM
If the loudmouth is going to be such a whiner about things then I say he deserved everything he got, including you needling him a little bit. I don't like people who can't control themselves at the table.

As a side note--I dream about putting beats on the jerks at the table, only problem is I am not good enough to figure out how to win a hand.

Homer
04-27-2003, 01:20 AM
Hi Rock...

Flop - Typically I'm looking for around 8:1 to call with a straight draw on a rainbow flop and 11:1 to call on a two-tone board. Your call isn't that bad, since in this game there is a good chance that EP and LP will also take one off, giving you 11:1 on the call instead of 9:1. Also, at these limits the players will pay you off handsomely if you hit, so in reality you probably don't quite need 11:1, since your implied odds will be greater than in a tighter game.

Turn - You aren't getting 8:1 on the call, you are only getting 5.5:1 (assuming no reraise by button or LP). I think it's close between calling and folding here. My instincts are to fold. The odds aren't good enough to draw to a 6-outer (6.7:1 shot), but are good enough to draw to an 8-outer (4.75:1). If someone is on a flush draw around half the time then it's like you have a 7-outer (5.5:1), which makes a call good since you'll get paid off on the river. However, this is offset by the possibility of a reraise from LP or button, so it's close. Like I said, my instincts are to fold but what do I know?

Comments - LP is a dipshit. He should have raised preflop and three-bet the turn with his set. No, talking smack to him is not angling, it's just good clean fun.

Have a good one...

-- Homer

Jim Easton
04-27-2003, 01:30 AM
I was getting 8.5 to 1 on my call, which is not enough for an inside straight (no backdoor flush). No excuses.

With implied odds, 8.5:1 is reasonable, providing the flop is a rainbow.

This set him off even worse. Now I normally wouldn't do this (is this angling?),

I don't think it is. Seems to me to be very much like "shh, don't bother me while I'm stacking your chips" (Clarkmeister's line, I believe).

Thoughts?

I like it. A person who gets that upset at a 1/2 game should be given a hard time.

Your Mom
04-27-2003, 02:15 AM
I talk [censored] to anyone and everyone that whines. They deserve it.

dux
04-27-2003, 03:32 AM

bernie
04-27-2003, 04:23 AM
it was worth the entertainment value.

it's not like you play all the hands this way. if you repeatedly did this, then youd have a problem. but once in a blue moon? youre not losing that much. you gave a little this hand, and gained alot in later hands didnt you? that's generally the idea behind a variance play like this.

sometimes these types of hands also break the monotany of playing only certain hands. which also can help make the game fun. remember, it's not like youre flushing your whole roll on one hand. it's not the end of the world, obviously. have fun at times

b

ohkanada
04-29-2003, 02:39 PM
"getting 8 to 1 on my 6-out open-ender - there are 2 flush draws"

6 outs? 4 (8d 8s Kd Ks) clean outs. Hearts (8h Kh) are unlikely good. Clubs (8c Kc) may not be good. Ax of clubs is certainly a possible holding of one of the players.

And 8 to 1 was already discussed. There are 9 bets in and you need to add 2. I agree the others are very likely to call but one of them could raise.

Fold the turn.

Ken Poklitar

RockLobster
04-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I screwed up counting the outs in this hand (and the odds). Not sure why... will look this over again... thanks...