PDA

View Full Version : $50 NL Jacks

twolf
09-08-2005, 08:37 PM
Villian is 33/11/1.3 after 60 hands. Anybody play this different anywhere?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($51.80)
Button ($52.70)
SB ($38.50)
BB ($47.85)
UTG ($47.50)
UTG+1 ($127.33)
MP1 ($254.15)
Hero ($63.70)
MP3 ($49.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($21.25) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $20</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $41.25

What are you doing if he just calls preflop and check/raises on this flop? What if he check calls a $15 bet on the flop and checks to you again on the turn?

jkkkk
09-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Don't re-raise pf, call MP1's raise, fold flop.

twolf
09-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Do you not reraise because of the people to act behind you? I almost always reraise Jacks as a default play because it makes it easier to play after the flop against the mostly straight forward players down here.

I have a hard time folding overpairs on this flop against somebody with an 11% PRF%.

09-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Honestly, I don't really understand this fold on the flop. The only hand that he could have that has you beat right now is a higher pair (AA, KK, or QQ). Only his play pre-flop gave you reason to suspect one of these hands, his bet on that flop could have meant anything. If you did suspect him for a higher pair, why call preflop? the pot odds were better than 4-1, which are about the odds of you winning against a higher pair, but thats assuming that you get to see all five cards. I actually have no problem with the call of the re-reraise preflop, I just don't see what changed that made you fold on the flop.

IbrakeFORrivers
09-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Consider calling pre-flop. This way, more ppl that you beat with your JJ might stay in the hand. That's what you want with JJ i'd think. With that board, with more ppl in the hand, it's more likely the villian will not bet as aggressively, fearing something caught. JJ you have to play a little more timidly. I think its a good laydown, but be cautious about that situation. I think you could make it out unscathed even more cheaply with the $2 call.

twolf
09-09-2005, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I don't really understand this fold on the flop. The only hand that he could have that has you beat right now is a higher pair (AA, KK, or QQ). Only his play pre-flop gave you reason to suspect one of these hands, his bet on that flop could have meant anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am aware that the only hand that beats me that he has is a bigger pair and that is exactly what i pegged him for. Hence the fold on the flop. You mention his preflop play...that is the indication that my hand is no good and I was convinced when he minireraised since bad players are scared of losing you when they have a monster.

[ QUOTE ]
If you did suspect him for a higher pair, why call preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Implied odds...I have to call $4 to win $70 if I flop a set and he decides that his overpair is good. That is good enough for me. Here is the rest of the hand anyhow, so I was convinced and not surprisingly right. He showed QQ.

09-09-2005, 01:39 AM
I play this almost exactly the same as you. I think the reraise preflop is the better option because
1. You are against a pretty loose opponent who could be raising with any number of hands. He has a PFR of 11% which is kind of high for 6 max so I'm guessing it's getting up on the maniac side for a full table.
2. If you just call, you are probably going to start a limp fest around the table. Tons of people are going to be getting good odds to see a flop. That is not what you want to play your JJ against. Either an overcard will flop that will hit someone, or you will flop an overpair when someone flops a set. I just don't want to play JJ like that.
I like how you played it, put pressure on the LAG preflop, and try to build the pot when you most likely have the best hand.
However, when he 3 bets you, then follows it up with a big bet on the flop, you are probably up against a higher pair and you made the right fold.
For someone to say that you should call on the flop because you called before the flop, I think that's pretty ridiculous.
The 3 bet preflop gave a strong indication that villain had a bigger pair, but the OP can't just fold for 4 dollars more when he is getting 4.25 to 1 preflop, with huge implied odds. Then when villain continues to play his hand superfast on the flop, the OP now has way more info available to him, and it is almost certain that he is up against AA KK or QQ, and a fold is correct. Just my opinion.

09-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Wow, you are way faster at posting than I am.

Dommer
09-09-2005, 03:18 AM
Well played for how you played it pre-flop, very disciplined fold on the flop. Making that type of fold with JJ/QQ will save you a lot of money long run. He is giving you odds to hit your set pre-flop so you have to call.

I prefer to not reraise with jacks pre-flop though. You don't really gain much by doing that, best case scenario is he calls the raise and folds the rag flop with his missed overcards. If he calls your pre-flop raise and calls you on the flop you have no idea where you stand and are playing a big uncomfortable pot, especially if there are overcards on the board. If he reraises you properly pre-flop you have to fold, he may even push you off your hand with a hand like AK.

If you just call pre-flop and he has AK/AQ/AJ and the board is rags, you snap off his continuation bet and lose nothing if he hits. If he has AA/KK/QQ you get two chances to hit your set, once when you see the flop and once on the turn after you call the continuation bet. After that you fold. This makes more than getting re-reraised pre and possibly having to fold. The only downside is that you may get a bunch of people seeing the flop, but that is OK as you are mostly trying to hit your set.

Anyways, bottom line with jacks you play for a small pot unless you hit your set. You can modify this with a VERY good read, like you know the guy is a total nut and will get all-in pre with pocket 2s. But 60 hands on someone is not enough info to go off of.

NYCNative
09-09-2005, 04:28 AM
I play it the same way, hopefully.

I like the reraise as it defines your hand and allows villain to define his. It also makes it much easier to get away from even after what appears to be a favorable flop.

If hero doesn't reraise on the flop, it makes it a lot harder to fold on a board with no overs.