PDA

View Full Version : Blitz Poker?

mojo bison
04-26-2003, 02:53 PM
(note to moderator: feel free to shift thread to a different forum if need be; I thought this would be the place where I'd get the most feedback)

So I'm grinding away at a 10/20 game, being very bored because I don't like waiting (unless it's PL). And then it hit me: why can't poker be faster? And a new (?) game came unto me:

Blitz Poker. (someone stop me if this has been proposed before)

General Premise: holdem with very short time limits. If you don't act, you fold.

Specifics: what I envision is limit holdem, but each player has five (5) seconds to act in turn. If the player fails to act, that player is considered to have folded. Game play is otherwise unaffected, except that all verbal actions are not only strictly binding, but mandatory. This is done to prevent string bets, trick moves, etc; it also would allow people to act in the required time even if they have fumble-fingers or are otherwise slow to move chips.

The game would have to be limit, for obvious reasons. I think it would work better at mid limit or higher because at low limit it would become more like a crap shoot (everyone calls).

For the sake of simplicity, I think the game would have to be holdem. (Well, five draw or lowball, too, but let's talk widely-spread games). Seven stud would be a big challenge with only five seconds to act, and I don't even want to think about Omaha. And FORGET about high-low.

astroglide
04-26-2003, 06:37 PM
try playing online.

you can play multiple tables at once (or multiple sites at once if you want to play 4+ tables). the players have timeouts, generally act much faster, and there's no shuffling or chip stacking.

Dynasty
04-27-2003, 03:15 AM
And then it hit me: why can't poker be faster

Because the vast majority of people are there to have fun. Creating blitz poker would prevent new players from learning the game because the speed would be to great for them to handle.

As for your real problem, the solution is easy- learn patience. If playing a new hand approximately every two minutes isn't fast enough for you, you've got an action-need problem.

dux
04-27-2003, 04:18 AM
Am I the only one who is interested in this idea? If would add a new dimension to the game. Certainly, if not done in B&M an online room could have them.

In 10/20 you could probably get a game running, even if you sacrifice the players who don't know how to play, you only need to have 1/2 of the edge over the game if it moves twice as fast.

I could see a blitz tourney being played.