PDA

View Full Version : Best Rock Guitarist Ever

09-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Well? I already know the answer to this, I just want to see if you guys do!

Jack of Arcades
09-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Jack White.

</troll>

Shajen
09-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Christ, again?

I vote Ralph Macchio

coffeecrazy1
09-08-2005, 06:28 PM
None...Jeff Beck taught half those guys how to play.

09-08-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff Beck:Clapton :: Yngvie Malmsteen:Van Halen.

There is a reason people like Beck and Malmsteen were not included. I could have thrown Angus Young in there, but his failure to explore the acoustic guitar to the fullest extent is what kept him off. Yes, I know...what about Van Halen and Stevie Ray you ask? Well....hey LOOK! It's Elvis!

(Running away).

09-08-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Along with Beck, I would have listed Carlos Santana, Randy Rhodes and Tony Iommi

dibbs
09-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Am I wrong in categorizing SRV as a blues guitarist?

09-08-2005, 07:02 PM
A case can be made for Santana but his cultural impact wasn't as large as the others.

Randy Rhodes and Tony Iommi? Nahhh.. heck if that's the case I should have put Dimebag Darrell on the list.

Mark Knopfler was very good as well, as was David Gilmour but those people are in a class lower than the ones I've listed.

09-08-2005, 07:02 PM
No, but I don't care.

James Boston
09-08-2005, 07:03 PM
What qualifications are we looking for? I'm tired of overly subjective questions.

09-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Billy Sheehan

oddjob
09-08-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Christ, again?

I vote Ralph Macchio

[/ QUOTE ]

michael j fox proved he was much better in the movie back to the future.

i think this poll should be ignored on the pure fact that the OP uses full names, instead of names we know them by. c'mon it's jimmy page and eddie van halen.

istewart
09-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Take out Hendrix for a more competitive poll.

CCass
09-08-2005, 11:35 PM
None of the above.

09-08-2005, 11:46 PM
alex lifeson

DarkForceRising
09-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Jake E. Lee

CardSharpCook
09-09-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would have listed Carlos Santana, Randy Rhodes and Tony Iommi

[/ QUOTE ]

I too was surprised by these ommisions.

09-09-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm utterly surprised by all the Hendrix votes... the dude barely touched the acoustic, unlike Clapton and Page. Heck, Vaughan is better than Hendrix...just listen to Little Wing.

I kind of figured Van Halen wouldn't get many votes, but I had to put him on....and do you people know who Saul Hudson is? lol. It's Slash. Don't know if that matters, but that's who it is.

I think Clapton is under-appreciated in this poll, and Hendrix is over-rated. By far.

unreal_nh
09-09-2005, 01:55 AM
what about the guitarist for guns'n'roses? is his name "slash"? he's good right?

DarkForceRising
09-09-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm utterly surprised by all the Hendrix votes... the dude barely touched the acoustic, unlike Clapton and Page. Heck, Vaughan is better than Hendrix...just listen to Little Wing.

I kind of figured Van Halen wouldn't get many votes, but I had to put him on....and do you people know who Saul Hudson is? lol. It's Slash. Don't know if that matters, but that's who it is.

I think Clapton is under-appreciated in this poll, and Hendrix is over-rated. By far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely hate Clapton and think that his cover of Stone Free was just awful. However, it is his voice that I can't stand. I've never heard any of his music aside from the usual stuff on the radio.

Is there an album that you would suggest that would change my opinion? Enough people consider him a guitar god that I guess it would be intellectually dishonest of me to base my opinion on "Layla".

Eurotrash
09-09-2005, 02:09 AM
this is easily Britt Daniel of Spoon.

if we can extend the interpretation of "guitarist" to "banjoist" then I believe Sufjan Stevens wins in a landslide first round TKO.

09-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Well, I don't actually own any of his albums, but I've seen enough of him performing live and stuff.

I think your best bet would be his work with Cream, perhaps the Yardbirds, and maybe Derek and the Domino's.

Listen to "Crossroads" by Cream..."White Room", "Sunshine of your Love" you've probably heard all these on the radio though. I only like the acoustic version of Layla, not the electric. Tears in Heaven is a phenomenal song. "You look Wonderful Tonight" is great, too.

Clapton is highly regarded for his slowhand blues, his ability to solo, his proficiency with the acoustic, his longevity, and his ability to constantly write hit songs, using his "tool" the guitar.

I mean take a clapton solo and compare it to Halen... Eddie van halen's solo's sound so out of context it's not even funny.

09-09-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

if we can extend the interpretation of "guitarist" to "banjoist" then I believe Sufjan Stevens wins in a landslide first round TKO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the kid from Deliverance, he matched that old dude note-for-note, while simultaneously being really freaky.

smokingrobot
09-09-2005, 02:46 AM
what, no ace freely?

ptmusic
09-09-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I don't actually own any of his albums, but I've seen enough of him performing live and stuff.

I think your best bet would be his work with Cream, perhaps the Yardbirds, and maybe Derek and the Domino's.

Listen to "Crossroads" by Cream..."White Room", "Sunshine of your Love" you've probably heard all these on the radio though. I only like the acoustic version of Layla, not the electric. Tears in Heaven is a phenomenal song. "You look Wonderful Tonight" is great, too.

Clapton is highly regarded for his slowhand blues, his ability to solo, his proficiency with the acoustic, his longevity, and his ability to constantly write hit songs, using his "tool" the guitar.

I mean take a clapton solo and compare it to Halen... Eddie van halen's solo's sound so out of context it's not even funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

You write like you really know what you are talking about, but you just barely know what you are talking about. And your poll stinks.

-ptmusic

JTrout
09-09-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well....hey LOOK! It's Elvis!

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, Elvis is the right answer.

Weatherhead03
09-09-2005, 03:49 AM
Yngvie Malmsteen

whiskeytown
09-09-2005, 03:54 AM
it's not even close - everyone on that list built off of Jimi -

RB

zephed
09-09-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's not even close - everyone on that list built off of Jimi -

RB

[/ QUOTE ]
Jimmy Page didn't "build off" Jimi. Sorry. He was an in-demand working musician well before Jimi became known.

Jack of Arcades
09-09-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

d00d, I already trolled the indie kids in post 1

juanez
09-09-2005, 04:54 AM
Nigel Tufnel...there's none more black.

http://spinaltapfan.com/images/nigel.jpg

gabbahh
09-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Best are Jimi Hendrix, Slash, Santana, Vaughan, Mark Knopfler, each for their own reasons.
Since you forgot Santana and Slash I cannot answer the poll.

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 09:22 AM
I voted for Stevie just because I like his music better.

imported_The Vibesman
09-09-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I only like the acoustic version of Layla, not the electric.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost me right there. That bossa-nova-bongo version of Layla makes me want to puke.

And saying Hendrix didn't explore the acoustic just demonstrates that you don't listen to much Hendrix.

Brad22
09-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Dimebag should be on the list. He was quite influential, but never made mainsteam media.

NutCrackerr
09-09-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what about the guitarist for guns'n'roses? is his name "slash"? he's good right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slash = Saul Hudson

imported_The Vibesman
09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Stevie Ray's music better too, but I voted for Jimi...because that's who I think Stevie Ray would have voted for.

MaxPower
09-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Pete Towhshend

SL__72
09-09-2005, 10:51 AM
No love for Satriani? Steve Vai? Even Kirk Hammett? They should at least be in the poll...

09-09-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You write like you really know what you are talking about, but you just barely know what you are talking about. And your poll stinks.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

JackWilson
09-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Tom Morello.

LetYouDown
09-09-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No love for Satriani? Steve Vai?

[/ QUOTE ]
These guys can play basically anything. That doesn't mean they're good rock guitarists. It means they're good at physically playing an instrument. I'm not denying their skill, I couldn't touch those guys if I played 10 hours a day, every day for the next 15 years.

[ QUOTE ]
Even Kirk Hammett?

[/ QUOTE ]
You forgot your /sarcasm at the end. At least I really REALLY hope you did.

ChipWrecked
09-09-2005, 11:12 AM
I don't understand how acoustic got worked in here, it's not part of the poll.

The answer is Jimi Hendrix and it's blah blah.

09-09-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost me right there. That bossa-nova-bongo version of Layla makes me want to puke.

And saying Hendrix didn't explore the acoustic just demonstrates that you don't listen to much Hendrix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I like the electric version, I just dislike that 4-minute ending that I've heard a guy call "The best 4-minutes of music recorded." wtf? lol.

No, I'm not that familiar with Hendrix's acoustic play... what do you recommend?

09-09-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Since you forgot Santana and Slash I cannot answer the poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slash who? Oh...you mean Saul Hudson? Yeah, he's on there, pal. Ya BURRRRRRRNED!

imported_The Vibesman
09-09-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I like the electric version, I just dislike that 4-minute ending that I've heard a guy call "The best 4-minutes of music recorded." wtf? lol.

No, I'm not that familiar with Hendrix's acoustic play... what do you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the Jimi Hendrix - Blues album for starters, that has some intense stuff.

The coda for Layla was actually a separate piece written by the band's drummer on the piano, and co-opted by Clapton for the song. And yeah, aside from being good to play in a movie when the main character is taking a long comtemplative drive, I've always found it kind of useless myself.

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Stevie Ray's music better too, but I voted for Jimi...because that's who I think Stevie Ray would have voted for.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an excellent answer!

jb9
09-09-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm utterly surprised by all the Hendrix votes...

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to listen to more Jimi.

09-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, but who would Jimi have voted for?

FWIW, I've heard Van Halen imply that Page was the best, and I'm pretty sure Slash would bow down to guys like Page and Hendrix. I don't think Slash considers himself on the level of those guys.

LetYouDown
09-09-2005, 12:07 PM
This all depends on your definition of best. If you're talking in terms of playing ability, there's probably some guy who's locked himself in his room for 20 years that's "better" than Vai. But I consider Vai's playing, while virtuoso, to be boring and lifeless.

jb9
09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but who would Jimi have voted for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hubert Sumlin (http://www.guitarsite.com/newsletters/000515/25.shtml)

09-09-2005, 12:57 PM
The poll looks great! When it gets to 100 votes, I will reveal the winner.

Hint: It's not who you think it is! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Shajen
09-09-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The poll looks great! When it gets to 100 votes, I will reveal the winner.

Hint: It's not who you think it is! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know everyone else can see the results too, right?

09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah, the results are off a bit though. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I will reveal the winner.

ptmusic
09-09-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I've heard Van Halen imply that Page was the best...

[/ QUOTE ]

Van Halen worships Clapton. See, this is what I was talking about in an earlier post regarding you spewing knowledge. I didn't mean to call you on your bullshit; I felt I owed it to you.

-ptmusic

09-09-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I've heard Van Halen imply that Page was the best...

[/ QUOTE ]

Van Halen worships Clapton. See, this is what I was talking about in an earlier post regarding you spewing knowledge. I didn't mean to call you on your bullshit; I felt I owed it to you.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

When did I ever say Eddie Van Halen does not worship Eric Clapton?

Seriously, when?

I hate people who can't use logic. BTW, you aren't very nice, sir.

ptmusic
09-09-2005, 03:36 PM
You're right about me being an ass here, sorry.

-ptmusic

MonkeeMan
09-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Move over Rover and let JIMI take over.

After that I like SRV, Clapton and Beck.

Let's not forget a few other omissions like Jonny Lang, Joe Bonamasa, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Joe Satorini and Buddy Guy. Rock/Blues same-same GI.

09-09-2005, 05:32 PM
1) Page
2) Clapton
3) Hendrix
4) Vaughan
5) Slash
6) Van Halen