PDA

View Full Version : Good protein shakes for losing weight?

TStoneMBD
09-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Topic says it all. I want something delicious and optimal for weight loss.

Go.

http://www.roundamerica.com/images/May/2003-05-09/trip-2003-05-09-OK-Clinton-Green-light-200.jpg

Lazymeatball
09-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I'd like to add an adednum to this post, please recomend some good protein shakes for gaining weight as well.

augie00
09-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Protein shakes are merely dietary supplements. Weight loss comes from hard work in the gym; protein shakes simply help by building your muscles which in turn burn more calories as they become stronger. But I'm sure you already knew that. There is no protein shakes that are "optimal for weight loss."

I use Myoplex Deluxe, it does not taste bad and has 100% DV of protein as well as a crapload of other vitamins, etc. Tons of fiber and Glutamine as well.

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 06:36 PM
get the basic metrx stuff.

the best way to lose weight is

1. change your diet. eat more fruit, less fatty foods, and less foods with artificial and processed sugar. sugar is not bad for you, its great, just not the processed stuff in pixie sticks or sour power straws. if you are serious about excercising, eat lots and lots of carbs, bread, pasta, etc. eat a big meal in the morning, 3 hours before you excercise. eat a grain cereal, special k, something like that. shredded wheat squares with strawberries/raspberries/blueberries which i add is great for me.

2. excercise. start running and lifting weights. lifting weights will help you increase muscle mass, and muscle adds to your metabolism. find out your optimal working heartrate and do something (cycling, running) that keeps your heartrate there for 40 minutes. get a heart rate monitor, you have no idea how much this helps. build up to this, start at 10 minutes or 2 miles and build. after 30 minutes of work at a certain heartrate your body will start to burn fat instead of the fast sugar available to your body.

youre not going to lose weight and be healthy without excercising, theres no easy way around it. and dont listen to the atkins bullshit.

SackUp
09-08-2005, 06:37 PM
protein helps build muscle not lose weight.

Just go to GNC and ask for some dietary supplements or run your ars around the block a couple times!

SoCalRugger
09-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Dymatize Elite Whey is pretty good. Around $25 for 5.5 lb tub. Personal favorite is Orange Dreamsicle. This is just a whey shake, so there's no carbs but it's not ideal for a meal replacement - it's primarily used for after you lift.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/elite.html

Syntax Nectar is another good zero carb whey shake, but I've never tried it (I'm a cheap bastard). It's supposed to be the best tasting around, but it's also more expensive.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/nectar.html

Syntrax Matrix is pretty cheap, and the chocolate tastes good. It's also low carb, but it's a slower digesting protein than Dymatize and Nectar because of the egg and casein.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/matrix.html

For a pure meal replacement (mix of protein/carbs/fat), I like Prolab Lean Mass Matrix. Oatmeal Cinnamon is the best tasting, Chocolate isn't bad, Vanilla sucks.
http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=344

There's much more out there, but those are the ones that I am most familiar with.

SoCalRugger
09-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Also, everyone else is right. My advice above assumes you are already lifting, doing cardio, and eating properly. Otherwise, all the protein shakes in the world won't do a damn thing.

swede123
09-08-2005, 06:40 PM
I can't believe this (http://www.peternorth.com/) hasn't been mentioned yet.

Swede

09-08-2005, 06:43 PM
I think you guys need the dennis rodman shake.... After having a dic in your mouth you won't be able to keep food down = instant weight loss, unless your gay and then I don't know what you should do....

TStoneMBD
09-08-2005, 07:30 PM
i am on an extremely healthy low calorie diet and have been losing weight regularly over the past several months. my diet is a long-term plan not a short-term fad. i dont see how you guys say that you cant lose weight without exercise. thats a load of crap. its calories in calories out, and i am intaking less calories then i burn.

from my understanding, slim protein shakes are designed to help people lose weight, because they are low in calorie but high in protein. protein is known to have a heavier weight per mass in comparison to low protein foods. as a result, foods with high protein are more filling. by drinking protein shakes, you are filling yourself up while intaking less calories. that is a sure way to lose weight.

id just like to know which brands of protein shakes are the best for what im looking for, and which ones are tasty. i dont have any knowledge of brands and such so im looking for guidance.

STLantny
09-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Whole food, that is high in protien, is the best source, ie chicken breast, tuna etc, becauase they are more thermogenic, and keep you satiated longer than a liquid protien shake. BUT, protien shakes are AWESOME if you dont have much time. I eat 3 whole meals a day, eggs/bacon, chicken breast, then fish or steak, with vegetebles at every meal. Then I have 3 protien shakes, made with bioplex 100% whey (cheap, 10lbs for 45$ @ bodybuilding.com), and I throw nuts/fruit/olive oil/fish oil/coffee black (not all at the same time), in there for taste. Look at t-nation.com for good recipes.
Keep portions small, on this diet, ie, under your reccomended cals per day and you will lose weight fast and easy, with workouts...

To gain weight, add more of the foods listed, and cottage cheese to the shakes.

BreakfastBurrito
09-08-2005, 07:42 PM
So you want protein shakes to act as an appetite suppressant? I guess that's a decent plan but I know nothing of it.

You're definitely correct in that you can lose weight, and a lot of it, just through dieting. But for someone your age, the usual goal is fitness; looking good and feeling good, not just being less fat. I don't think you can ever become extremely healthy without incorporating exercise into your routine somehow.

TStoneMBD
09-08-2005, 08:11 PM
no i am definitely not going to refute that whatsoever. exercise is vital. im not going to deny that i need to exercise to look and feel good, but as of right now weight loss is my concern. my target weight is 175. ive been 175 in the past at my height (5'11) and was very thin. currently i weigh 210.

augie00
09-08-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
from my understanding, slim protein shakes are designed to help people lose weight, because they are low in calorie but high in protein. protein is known to have a heavier weight per mass in comparison to low protein foods. as a result, foods with high protein are more filling. by drinking protein shakes, you are filling yourself up while intaking less calories. that is a sure way to lose weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of protein shakes is to help you build muscle. Start eating a smoothie or a slim-fast for lunch if you just want to be filled up.

I to not know this for sure but it seems that all the protein that you're drinking would simply go to waste, because if you are inactive your muscles absorb less protein.

AEKDBet
09-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Any simple whey protein. I like the taste of "campion nutrition" choc whey. ~$25 for 5 lbs @ dpsnutrition, prob a bit more at netrition.

[ QUOTE ]
Whey’s effects on food intake.

This (finally!) brings us to whey protein. Whey may have some unique effects on food intake via its effects on CCK and other pathways. Many studies have shown that protein is the most satiating macro-nutrient. However, it also appears all proteins may not be created equal in this respect.

For example, two studies using human volunteers compared whey vs. casein (another milk based protein) on appetite, CCK, and other hormones (Hall WL, Millward DJ, Long SJ, Morgan LM.Casein and whey exert different effects on plasma amino acid profiles, gastrointestinal hormone secretion and appetite. Br J Nutr. 2003 Feb;89(2):239-48).

The first study found that energy intake from a buffet meal ad libitum was significantly less 90 minutes after a liquid meal containing whey, compared with an equivalent amount of casein given 90 minutes before the volunteers were allowed to eat all they wanted (ad libitum) at the buffet. In the second study, the same whey preload led to a plasma CCK increase of 60 % ( in addition to large increases in glucagon-like peptide [GLP]-1 and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide) following the whey preload compared with the casein.

Translated, taking whey before people were allowed to eat all they wanted (ad libitum) at a buffet showed a decrease in the amount of calories they ate as well as substantial increases in CCK compared to casein. Subjectively, it was found there was greater satiety followed the whey meal also.

The researchers concluded “These results implicate post-absorptive increases in plasma amino acids together with both CCK and GLP-1 as potential mediators of the increased satiety response to whey and emphasize the importance of considering the impact of protein type on the appetite response to a mixed meal.” Several animal studies also find whey appears to have a pronounced effect on CCK and or satiety over other protein sources.

It should be noted however that not all studies have found the effect of whey vs. other protein sources on food intake (Bowen J, Noakes M, Clifton P, Jenkins A, Batterham M.Acute effect of dietary proteins on appetite, energy intake and glycemic response in overweight men. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2004;13(Suppl):S64.).

It should also be noted that although studies find protein to be the most satiating of the macro-nutrients, certain protein sources (e.g. egg whites) may actually increase appetite (Anderson GH, Tecimer SN, Shah D, Zafar TA. Protein source, quantity, and time of consumption determine the effect of proteins on short-term food intake in young men. J Nutr. 2004 Nov;134(11):3011-5.), so protein sources appear worth considering when looking to maximize weight loss and suppress appetite.

How whey achieves this effect is not fully understood, but research suggests it’s due to whey’s high glycomacropeptide and alpha-lactalbumin content, as well as its high solubility compared to other proteins, and perhaps it’s high percentage of branch chain amino acids (BCAA’s).

Whey’s effects on bodyfat, insulin sensitivity, and fat burning….

So we have some studies suggesting whey may have some unique effects on hormones involved in satiety and or may reduce energy (calorie) intake of subsequent meals, but do we have studies showing direct effects of whey vs. other proteins on weight loss? In animals at least, whey has looked like a promising supplement for weight loss.

Although higher protein diets have been found to improve insulin sensitivity, and may be superior for weight loss (with some debate!) then higher carbohydrate lower protein diets, it’s unclear if all proteins have the same effects.

One study compared whey to beef (Damien P. Belobrajdic,, Graeme H. McIntosh, and Julie A. Owens. A High-Whey-Protein Diet Reduces Body Weight Gain and Alters Insulin Sensitivity Relative to Red Meat in Wistar Rats. J. Nutr. 134:1454-1458, June 2004) and found whey reduced body weight and tissue lipid levels and increased insulin sensitivity compared to red meat.

Rats were fed a high-fat diet for nine weeks, then switched to a diet containing either whey or beef for an additional six weeks. As has generally been found in other studies, the move to a high dietary protein reduced energy intake (due to the known satiating effects of protein compared to carbs or fat), as well as reductions in visceral and subcutaneous bodyfat.

However, the rats getting the whey, there was a 40% reduction in plasma insulin concentrations and increased insulin sensitivity compared to the red meat. Not surprisingly, the researchers concluded “These findings support the conclusions that a high-protein diet reduces energy intake and adiposity and that whey protein is more effective than red meat in reducing body weight gain and increasing insulin sensitivity.”

Other studies suggest taking whey before a workout is superior for preserving/gaining lean body mass (LBM) and maintaining fat burning (beta oxidation) during exercise over other foods taken prior to a workout. The study called “A preexercise lactalbumin-enriched whey protein meal preserves lipid oxidation and decreases adiposity in rats” (Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283: E565–E572, 2002.) came to some very interesting conclusions.

One thing we have known a long time is the composition of the pre-exercise meal will affect substrate utilization during exercise and thus might affect long-term changes in body weight and composition. That is, depending on what you eat before you workout can dictate what you use for energy (i.e. carbs, fats, and or proteins) which alters what you burn (oxidize) for energy.

The researchers took groups of rats and made the poor buggers exercise two hours daily for over five weeks (talk about over training!), either in the fasted state or one hour after they ingested a meal enriched with a simple sugar (glucose), whole milk protein or whey protein.

The results were quite telling. Compared with fasting (no food), the glucose meal increased glucose oxidation and decreased lipid oxidation during and after exercise. Translated, they burned sugar over body fat for their energy source. In contrast, the whole milk protein and whey meals preserved lipid oxidation and increased protein oxidation. Translated, fat burning was maintained and they also used protein as a fuel source.

Not surprisingly, the whey meal increased protein oxidation more than the whole milk protein meal, most likely due to the fact that whey is considered a “fast” protein that is absorbed rapidly due to it’s high solubility.

As one would expect, by the end of the five weeks, body weight was greater in the glucose, whole milk protein and whey fed rats than in the fasted ones. No shock there. Here is where it gets interesting: In the group getting the glucose or the whole milk protein, the increase in weight was from bodyfat, but in the whey fed group, the increase in weight was from an increase in muscle mass and a decrease in bodyfat!

Only the rats getting the whey before their workout increased muscle mass and decreased their bodyfat. The researchers theorized this was due to whey’s ability to rapidly deliver amino acids during exercise. Is this the next big find in sports nutrition or those simply looking to preserve muscle mass loss due to aging?

Hard to say at this time being it was done in rats, but if it turns out to be true in humans (and there is no reason people can’t try it now) it would indeed be a breakthrough in the quest to add muscle and lose fat.

Effects on serotonin, blood sugar regulation, and more!

Although the above would probably be the major mechanisms by which whey could help the dieter, there are several secondary effects of whey that may assist in weight loss. For example, whey’s effects on serotonin levels. Serotonin is probably the most studied neurotransmitter since it has been found to be involved in a wide range of psychological and biological functions. Serotonin ( also called 5-hydroxytryptamine or 5-HT) is involved with mood, anxiety, and appetite.

Elevated levels of serotonin can cause relaxation and reduced anxiety. Low serotonin levels are associated with low mood, increased anxiety (hence the current popularity of the SSRI drugs such as Prozac and others), and poor appetite control. This is an extremely abbreviated description of all the functions serotonin performs in the human body – many of which have yet to be fully elucidated – but a full explanation is beyond the scope of this article.

Needless to say, Increased brain serotonin levels are associated with an improved ability of people to cope with stress, whereas a decline in serotonin activity is associated with depression and anxiety. Elevated levels of serotonin in the body often result in the relief of depression, as well as substantial reduction in pain sensitivity, anxiety and stress. It has also been theorized that a diet-induced increase in tryptophan will increase brain serotonin levels, while a diet designed for weight loss (e.g., a diet that reduces calories) may lead to a reduction of brain serotonin levels due to reduced substrate for production and a reduction in carbohydrates.

Many people on a reduced calorie intake in an attempt to lose weight find they are often ill tempered and more anxious. Reductions in serotonin may be partially to blame here. One recent study (The bovine protein alpha-lactalbumin increases the plasma ratio of tryptophan to the other large neutral amino acids, and in vulnerable subjects raises brain serotonin activity, reduces cortisol concentration, and improves mood under stress. Am J Clin Nutr 2000 Jun;71(6):1536-1544) examined whether alpha-lactalbumin – a major sub fraction found in whey which has an especially high tryptophan content – would increase plasma Tryptophan levels as well reduce depression and cortisol concentrations in subjects under acute stress considered to be vulnerable to stress.

The researchers examined twenty-nine “highly stress-vulnerable subjects” and 29 “relatively stress-invulnerable” subjects using a double blind, placebo-controlled study design. The study participants were exposed to experimental stress after eating a diet enriched with either alpha-lactalbumin (found in whey) or sodium-caseinate, another milk based protein. They researchers looked at:

* Diet-induced changes in the plasma Tryptophan and its ratio to other large neutral amino acids.
* Prolactin levels.
* Changes in mood and pulse rate.
* Cortisol levels (which were assessed before and after the stressor).

Amazingly, the ratio of plasma Tryptophan to the other amino acids tested was 48% higher after the alpha-lactalbumin diet than after the casein diet! This was accompanied by a decrease in cortisol levels and higher prolactin concentration. Perhaps most important and relevant to the average person reading this article, they found “reduced depressive feelings” when test subjects were put under stress.

They concluded that the “Consumption of a dietary protein enriched in tryptophan increased the plasma Trp-LNAA ratio and, in stress-vulnerable subjects, improved coping ability, probably through alterations in brain serotonin.” This effect was not seen in the sodium-caseinate group. If other studies can confirm these findings, whey may turn out to be yet another safe and effective supplement in the battle against depression and stress, as well as reduced serotonin levels due to dieting.

Although there is a long list of hormones involved in appetite regulation, some of which have been mentioned above, serotonin appears to be a key player in the game. In general, experiments find increased serotonin availability or activity = reduced food consumption and decreased serotonin = increase food consumption. If whey can selectively increase serotonin levels above that of other proteins, it could be very helpful to the dieter.

Other possible advantages whey may confer to the dieter is improved blood sugar regulation (Frid AH, Nilsson M, Holst JJ, Bjorck IM. Effect of whey on blood glucose and insulin responses to composite breakfast and lunch meals in type 2 diabetic subjects. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Jul;82(1):69-75.) which is yet another key area in controlling appetite and metabolism.

Finally, calcium from dairy products has been found to be associated with a reduction in bodyweight and fat mass. Calcium is thought to influence energy metabolism as intracellular calcium regulates fat cell (adipocyte) lipid metabolism as well as triglyceride storage. It’s been demonstrated in several studies the superiority of dairy versus non-dairy sources of calcium for improving body composition, and the whey fraction of dairy maybe the key.

The mechanism responsible for increased fat loss found with dairy-based calcium versus nondairy calcium has not is not fully understood but researchers looking at the issue theorized “…dairy sources of calcium markedly attenuate weight and fat gain and accelerate fat loss to a greater degree than do supplemental sources of calcium. This augmented effect of dairy products relative to supplemental calcium is likely due to additional bioactive compounds, including the angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and the rich concentration of branched-chain amino acids in whey, which act synergistically with calcium to attenuate adiposity.”

It appears components in whey – some of which have been mentioned above - are thought to act synergistically with calcium to improve body composition (Zemel MB. Role of calcium and dairy products in energy partitioning and weight management. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 May;79(5):907S-912S.).

[/ QUOTE ]

SoCalRugger
09-08-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The point of protein shakes is to help you build muscle. Start eating a smoothie or a slim-fast for lunch if you just want to be filled up.

I to not know this for sure but it seems that all the protein that you're drinking would simply go to waste, because if you are inactive your muscles absorb less protein.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. If you're going to be spending money on protein shakes, you should be lifting weights to get maximum benefit.

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont see how you guys say that you cant lose weight without exercise. thats a load of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. youre a 20 year old male, people who were older could not lose weight just by dieting.

2. dieting is a bitch, its a huge pain.

3. youll end up looking like a scrawny computer nerd.

09-08-2005, 10:00 PM
i like the designer whey protein...they have some really good flavors that I don't see other brands making (other than chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry). whatever you end up with, i recommend finding some good 'recipes' to spice 'em up. otherwise, they get really boring. oh and use a blender...much smoother that way.

09-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Protein shakes don't help you lose weight. Go to GNC and get their protein powder that has 20 g of protein for 110 calories. Drink a couple shakes per day and eat foods like tuna that have a lot of protein in them but relatively few calories.

It doesn't really matter how much fat or carbs you eat, what matters is that you get some protein and watch your caloric intake. Lay off the cardio if you're doing any and start gradually with weights at the gym.

09-08-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am on an extremely healthy low calorie diet and have been losing weight regularly over the past several months. my diet is a long-term plan not a short-term fad. i dont see how you guys say that you cant lose weight without exercise. thats a load of crap. its calories in calories out, and i am intaking less calories then i burn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right. But if you don't start doing some kind of exercise eventually then you will still be unhealthy. Cardiovascular exercise is good for the heart.

Brad22
09-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Pickup this book - plenty of ideas on eating well, with alot of protein shake recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1594862389/qid=1126276327/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-8175107-1103806?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

jakethebake
09-09-2005, 10:36 AM
I used to have a really good recipe for a cheap/easy low-carb, high fat/protein shake. I'll try to find it for you.

Voltron87
09-09-2005, 10:42 AM
you should try excercising (weightlifting, running) for several reasons.

1. you will look better

2. you will be able to eat/drink more and still be slim

3. you will feel better, i always feel great when i come back from the gym and its a good way of getting tilt/poker off your mind. or whatever is bothing you.

STLantny
09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you should try excercising (weightlifting, running) for several reasons.

1. you will look better

2. you will be able to eat/drink more and still be slim

3. you will feel better, i always feel great when i come back from the gym and its a good way of getting tilt/poker off your mind. or whatever is bothing you.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you will reach your weight loss goals phenomally faster.

DarkForceRising
09-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Beverly Nutrition- best taste, mixability and quality. Tastes great with plain old water and is easy on the gut.

Also, if you are on the run, you can find Slim Fasts' Low Carb shakes in a can at most convienience stores- tastes just like Myoplex and has 20 or so grams of protien in the 8 oz can.

My concoction usually consists of said protien powder, oatmeal, strawberries and sometimes a banana- blend it up and you have a high protien, moderate carb meal that you can sip on whenever you feel hunger pangs. Sure, it ain't prime rib and king crab legs but it does the trick.

jaydub
09-09-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i dont see how you guys say that you cant lose weight without exercise. thats a load of crap. its calories in calories out, and i am intaking less calories then i burn.

[/ QUOTE ]

One word, leptin. If only life were as simple as in vs out. Slightly longer explanation, your body wants you small and fat and will do everything it can to keep you that way. Oh and it will cheat and play dirty.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just wrong on multiple levels but protein shakes are good so drink them, between 1 and 3 scoops a day or if you are rich, as many as you like.

[ QUOTE ]

id just like to know which brands of protein shakes are the best for what im looking for, and which ones are tasty. i dont have any knowledge of brands and such so im looking for guidance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Syntrax is tasty. Don't spend more than $10 / lb and don't believe the hype. Companies lie.

Oh and lift some damn weights.

MyTurn2Raise
09-09-2005, 05:29 PM
agreed with some earlier posts...get the designer whey protein in a 5 gal jug from Vitamin World. Sign up for their membership. You'll get plenty of chances to purchase at 30-50% off. It's relatively cheap to begin with. Ok with water; delicioso with milk.