PDA

View Full Version : blocking bet

jt1
09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
No real read on villian

15/30 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: WakeRipper (800)
Seat 3: Seasidex (800)
Seat 4: jbreitlow (800)
Seat 5: tissue1 (790)
Seat 6: kingpin023 (720)
Seat 7: Hero (785)
Seat 8: chipmyser (1705)
Seat 9: Allbusin (800)
Seat 10: brett_kcc (800)
Hero posts small blind (10)
chipmyser posts big blind (15)

Dealt to Hero [ 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q /images/graemlins/club.gif ]
Allbusin folds.
brett_kcc calls (15)
WakeRipper folds.
Seasidex folds.
jbreitlow folds.
tissue1 calls (15)
kingpin023 folds.
Hero calls (5)
chipmyser checks.

(60)[ T /images/graemlins/club.gif, Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

Hero bets (30)
chipmyser calls (30)
brett_kcc folds.
tissue1 folds.

(120) [ K /images/graemlins/spade.gif ]

Hero bets (80)
chipmyser calls (80)

(280) [ K /images/graemlins/club.gif ]

Hero bets (80)
chipmyser raises (160) to 160
Hero folds.

AtticusFinch
09-08-2005, 05:56 PM
I've never had any success with blocking bets. I always get raised. I think the tendency to make them small makes them smell fishy.

The king of clubs is interesting, though. From the action, villain may well have hit his flush draw, but then again, you may well have hit a boat. The super-scare card can make a small bet look like you're hoping for a call rather than a post-oak bluff.

Were this a multi, or against a tight opponent, I might well throw in a decent-sized reraise on the river, by the way. Something like half the pot. He only needs to lay his flush down against my apparent boat, (or his trip kings against my apparent flush) 1/3 of the time for this to break even.

09-08-2005, 06:00 PM
hard to say, at end of the day, was the guy a calling station or should you have been concerned when he called on the turn??? i think you have to make that judgement yourself... somewhat of a unique turn/river (although presumably in hindsight, you were beaten on turn).

of note, i don't think too many of the "charts" recommend playing Q8o, alot would suggest Q8s and then you'd still have same issues.

in summary, tough luck the King(s) hit and then you just have to make judgement and read your opponent (not saying i do it well, but it's what you must learn

jt1
09-08-2005, 06:23 PM
I wonder if the point of the blocking bet is not to block a bluff, but control its size. Typcially (at lower limits) a bluff raise is double the size of the original bet (most likely) or all-in (fairly rare). If this were indeed a bluff then, if not for my bet, he may have overbet the pot somewhat; I would have been forced to fold.

I wonder if I should have bet 110 on the turn and bet the same on the river and called the min raise. This would have deprived villian of odds to call yet still left me with 400+ chips at level 2.

By betting 80 on the turn and river and folding to his min raise, i'm denying him odds to call the turn but, perhaps (???), encouraging him to min bluff. By betting the river and calling, Villian actually has odds to draw, so would 110 and a river call been the right move?