PDA

View Full Version : Help me put a name to this classical music piece...

Spaded
09-08-2005, 05:26 PM
This 15 second mp3 clip (http://members.cox.net/nh777/classical.mp3) should be enough. I first heard it when playing The Incredible Machine when i was a kid, and it's stuck in my head ever since!

Wingnut
09-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Overture or Intro to "Pictures at an Exhibition" by Mussorgsky (sp?).

Rimsky-Korsakov also did an orchestral version, with a lone trumpet starting the melody.

IQ89
09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I first heard it when playing The Incredible Machine when i was a kid

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very catchy. So the clip you provide is the intro to a song titled The Incredible Machine?

Spaded
09-08-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's very catchy. So the clip you provide is the intro to a song titled The Incredible Machine?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it was a puzzle-solving video game where you use all these strange pieces to complete a puizzle. Think Rube Goldberg inventions.

Spaded
09-08-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Rimsky-Korsakov also did an orchestral version, with a lone trumpet starting the melody.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, thanks!

Allan
09-08-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a few different orchestrations of the piece. I think you are thinking of the one by Ravel not Rimsky-Korsakov.

For the OP, if you're looking for a recording of the original piano version, try and find Sviatoslav Richter's Sofia Recital on the Phillips label.

For the orchestral version look for Reiner and the Chicago Symphony on RCA/Living Stereo.

Allan

offTopic
09-08-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a few different orchestrations of the piece. I think you are thinking of the one by Ravel not Rimsky-Korsakov.

For the OP, if you're looking for a recording of the original piano version, try and find Sviatoslav Richter's Sofia Recital on the Phillips label.

For the orchestral version look for Reiner and the Chicago Symphony on RCA/Living Stereo.

Allan

[/ QUOTE ]

Duuuuuuude...Emerson, Lake, and Palmer! /images/graemlins/grin.gif