PDA

View Full Version : My Set Wakes Up

UOPokerPlayer
09-08-2005, 03:59 PM
I think he's playing with an ace and if he is he's calling that bet.
should i have gone slower?
my read is villian is ok/bad.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP ($33.70)
CO ($113.36)
Button ($29.19)
SB ($72.40)
BB ($65.35)
Hero ($96)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($13) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>,

orange
09-08-2005, 04:44 PM
My standard is to raise the flop, but seeing as there are only 3 players and you have an monster, calling is OK with me.

Raising the flop is debatable, but you should raise the turn 100% of the time IMO, especially when your read is a bit hazy.

NH IMO.

xorbie
09-08-2005, 04:47 PM
I would make it $15. I have no idea why you think he has an A though, and I would have raised the flop to $15.

UOPokerPlayer
09-08-2005, 05:02 PM
I worded it wrong. I meant he could've hit his ace and then he calls my bet. Is there a lot of hands that will call $15 and fold to $25?

crosse91
09-08-2005, 05:36 PM
while it may not seems like a big difference, many more hands will call the potsized (approx.) raise then the massive over bet. You're hand is a very good hand we want callers, there's no need to try and take the pot down right there with a massive overbet.

djoyce003
09-08-2005, 05:38 PM
I disagree with the advice saying to raise the flop...this is a fairly drawless board..i'd let him keep betting.

I'm curious why you think he has an ace....this opponent didn't raise preflop and he made a superweak turn bet into a $13 pot. Personally I think he has nothing and wouldn't even call a minraise.

Your raise to $25 is too high regardless because he'd have to call $20 more into around a $40 pot...this is a pretty easy fold without a strong ace, which I think he doesn't have because he didn't raise preflop....only way he calls this is if he's got 2 pair.

If I was going to raise i'd likely make it $15 to go, a weak ace might call that as well as a weaker second pair if he can convince himself you are bluffing.

theben
09-08-2005, 05:52 PM
i might raise flop. id raise less on turn if i chose to raise there

bizaff
09-08-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he's playing with an ace and if he is he's calling that bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's your read, you should probably go with your read. If you think he'll call a pot sized raise with an A, it's the right play. If he is playing with an A, the only way he's ahead is if he happens to have another one.

If you're not sure of your read, you may want to raise less.

elus2
09-08-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there's no need to try and take the pot down right there with a massive overbet

[/ QUOTE ]

i doubt this was hero's intention with his turn bet.

xorbie
09-08-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I worded it wrong. I meant he could've hit his ace and then he calls my bet. Is there a lot of hands that will call $15 and fold to $25?

[/ QUOTE ]

But what makes you think he has an A? Overbets flop, then underbets turn? I'm tihnking TT is more likely than an A, unless he's a real donk.

djoyce003
09-08-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But what makes you think he has an A? Overbets flop, then underbets turn? I'm tihnking TT is more likely than an A, unless he's a real donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually i've been seeing this trend quite a bit lately in the donks. They are overbetting the pot on the flop and then slowing WAY down on the turn....had multiple guys pull this stunt last night.

crosse91
09-08-2005, 06:46 PM
thats a good one and the new donk trend is check calling with aces on all 4 betting rounds.
bastards.

also, it looks like he's trying to take it down, whether that was the intention of the bet or not.

elus2
09-08-2005, 07:02 PM
i think raising the flop makes this easier to extract value from your opponent on later streets. raising the turn when an overcard hits to your opponent's pocket pair makes it difficult for him to continue past that turn. i'll somtimes call that turn and try a river bet instead. at least then they know they don't have to put any more money in and can call you with a wide range of holdings.