PDA

View Full Version : Good fold??

09-08-2005, 03:14 PM
On short hand table $50 NL, I had just won a big pot with a bit of a flukey draw.. Villain had been betting value.

Seat 2: SB (Villain) ($46.35 in chips)
Seat 6: BB ($46.05 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero [QD,AD] ($113.30 in chips)
Seat 9: Button ($36.15 in chips)

PRE-FLOP
Hero bets $1, Button folds, Villain calls $0.75, BB calls $0.50.

FLOP [board cards 6S,QC,AC ]
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $2, Villain calls $2, BB folds.

TURN [board cards 6S,QC,AC,JS ]
Villain checks, Hero bets $4, Villain calls $4.

RIVER [board cards 6S,QC,AC,JS,KS ]
Villain bets $12, Hero folds.

SHOWDOWN
austin14 wins $26.50.
SUMMARY
Dealer: thatkid27
Pot: $27, (including rake: $0.50)
austin14, bets $19, collects $26.50, net $7.50
dale00811, loses $1
lunadog, loses $7
thatkid27, loses $0

I guessed he had hit the straight, He told me after that he had 89s.. really odd calling for runner-runner considering his previous play..

Any thoughts? Good fold?

UOPokerPlayer
09-08-2005, 03:25 PM
This is a time to bet the full pot. I can't tell pot sizes, but it looks like on the turn you went about half pot. Gotta make the draws pay. It helps if you have a read on the opponent, but i back off if i see check-call, check-call, value looking bet. This is a good bluff line for villian, and the river is about the worst card in the deck. I call here, even if it's slightly -ev (i don't think it is.) Just to find out what it means when villian takes that line, you're getting 2 to 1 and a weaker two pair or busted clubs you could see. Bet harder on flop and turn.

yvesaint
09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Raise more pre-flop, bet pot on the flop, bet pot on the turn, either call a river bet or value bet.

09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I say good fold. He probably did have the flush, otherwise, why would he strong-play on a 4-straight board? He probably figured you had the straight and bet out $12 assuming he'd get the action from you.

At any rate, I credit him with a better holding than you.

09-08-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise more pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

An open-minraise against only 3 opponents isn't that bad of a play. Especially not with a hand like AQsuited.

yvesaint
09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

An open-minraise against only 3 opponents isn't that bad of a play. Especially not with a hand like AQsuited.

[/ QUOTE ]

K Steel, I'm sorry, but you've advised for the mini-raise pre-flop twice already, once with KK after a PFR, and now opening in a 4-way pot with AQs. This is bad advice. This board will tell you pre-flop mini-raises are bad moves.

Don't do this. Seriously K Steel, I don't know where you get these ideas, but mini-raising here, and in that KK hand, is terrible. In fact, mini-raising pre-flop anywhere in a cash game is terrible.

UOPokerPlayer
09-08-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise more pre-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're trying to get at, and it's not really applicable to this hand.

Hoopster81
09-08-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
K Steel, I'm sorry, but you've advised for the mini-raise pre-flop twice already, once with KK after a PFR, and now opening in a 4-way pot with AQs. This is bad advice. This board will tell you pre-flop mini-raises are bad moves.

Don't do this. Seriously K Steel, I don't know where you get these ideas, but mini-raising here, and in that KK hand, is terrible. In fact, mini-raising pre-flop anywhere in a cash game is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks you saved me 5 minutes

Rococo
09-08-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, mini-raising pre-flop anywhere in a cash game is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

K-Steel is wrong here, of course, but preflop minraises can be appropriate in very specific situations in cash games (e.g. HU or three handed games where the player to your left is an Ed Miller acolyte -- short stack with 10-15BB looking to fold or stick it all in.)