PDA

View Full Version : Pot Odds on God

TheQ
09-08-2005, 02:43 PM
I see a lot of interesting posts here, discussing the differences of various denominations. What makes me interested, is the fact, that it's a Poker Forum.

Some Questions for Debate, and Thought.

Do you think there is a .01% chance God exists?

Assuming you can answer yes, let me make some more assumptions.

1.) We have souls (A part of us that is eternal)

2.) We live forever, either in Heaven or hell, after we die.

I think these are reasonable assumptions to make, if in fact, God exists.

So now we have a Pot Odds Question with infinite return on one hand and infinite loss on the other. I would rather put my money on God. Is it really so hard anyway?

Don't lie, steal, murder, everyone knows the 10. The difference between right and wrong is BUILT into us. That is why everyone will be Judged at the end. Ignorance of the law is impossible on this one.

This brings me to my next point: Two men commit murder. One is mentally retarded, and one is a police officer. Who should receive the harsher penalty? The police officer of course. WHY? Because he has a more developed sense of awareness, and morality.

So combining the above paragraphs, and applying what I have learned from the Bible, I would tend to believe that any creature whom God created, with a soul, can enter Heaven.
If you have never been introduced to a bible, or gone to church, it doesn't matter. You will be judged based on your deeds in relation to your level of awareness, and knowledge. There comes a time in everyone's life when they are old enough to stop blaming their actions on the way their parents raised them. And there comes a time when you realize there is something more.

Jesus said "look, there is ANOTHER way" which infers MORE than one way, to get to heaven.

Who cares about the differences between churches! It's not what is important.

I believe Jesus came to cut the red tape, the Jewish religion was creating. A strict diet, circumcision, sacrifices. All these things are no doubt pleasing to God, but to a non-believer, it's a mountain to overcome. A lot to ask.

As you become friends with God, you are free to ask for the answers to life. "Ask and you shall receive" But remember, knowledge, is a double edged sword. As your knowledge, or level of awareness increases. You will be held to higher standards and more will be expected of you. This is yet another reason why God keeps changing the entry requirements. We as a species, are becoming more sentient. (That last sentence is debatable...lol)

So anyway, I think based on MY level of awareness, and knowledge, this is what I need to get to heaven.

1.) Believe Jesus died for our sins, and was resurrected - Is this so hard to believe? Tony Robbins brought a man with a heart attack back to life. Look into it.

2.) Ask God to forgive you. So easy. My parents taught me to say sorry, when I was 4, and be sincere.

3.) Ask God to let you into heaven, because you know the doorman. (Jesus)

Good deeds are not required (but are inevitable, so don't sweat it)- Why?
1.) Jesus told a story about a fruit tree (us) that didn't produce, and he threw it in the fire (hell) However, I would tend to think saving your soul, IS a good deed, God doesn't want to waste his time creating a being, only to watch it burn forever. That would piss ME off, if I were God.

2.) Jesus also told a story about how some will yield more, and some less.

3.) Just because you don't educate other people about God, you still affect this reality we occupy. The butterfly effect.

4.) No man can serve two masters (You are either with God or against him) So if you are with God then how could you NOT do good deeds? The two are mutually exclusive. What I think people disagree on, is the definition of "Good Deed" Smiling at someone is a good deed. Can you do that? Of course.

LET THE CONTROVERSY BEGIN. Feel free to tear this apart. Disagreements, I actually encourage, because, I'll be able to go back and either correct my misconceptions, or re-enforce my knowledge.

09-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Actually I am God.

I command you must flick all light switches 3 times whenever you enter a room.

If you don't, eternal hell. Otherwise, paradise forever.

Your pot odds are inifite. Are you going to do this?

09-08-2005, 03:16 PM
Funny that you write this. I was talking with a buddy just this week who used the term "pot odds on God" when saying that the pot is almost too big not to make a crying call.

maurile
09-08-2005, 03:24 PM
What are the pot odds on Huitzilopochtli? Ashtoreth? Osiris? Odin? Zer-panitu?

09-08-2005, 03:39 PM
TheQ, I personally think that Alexdb and maurile make two great points. I would like to add that besides the 10, I've heard that some people think god doesn't want you to play with your peepee either. It would be foolish not to stop for pot odds reasons, right?

Any counter to all these points?

TheQ
09-08-2005, 03:48 PM
exactly! and for one small bet...

GrunchCan
09-08-2005, 03:57 PM
What exactly are you trying to sell? Good behavior, or actual committed belief?

TheQ
09-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Playing with your peepee is ok, as long as you dont sin while doing it.

According to Jesus, thinking of adultry, is as bad, as doing the real thing. Which makes sense to me because, one thought leads to two, and two to four, until you become more likely to think it's ok, and actually cheat on your wife.

But who cares, you can still go to heaven, because all sins can be forgiven, except blasphemy of the holy spirit.

The idea is, if you aren't growing you are decaying. Ask any bodybuilder. Everyone these days is reading self help books, working out, and eating better. Why not be working on improving yourself by being more honest today than you were yesterday, and only masterbating while thinking of the hot blonde that lives next door, 4 times today, instead of the 6 times you did it yesterday. lol. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

krimson
09-08-2005, 04:17 PM
I don't think you can establish a finite probability for the existence of a Christian God. IMO the probability of any religion known or not-yet-made-up is infinitely small since there are essentially an infinite number of possibilities about "why" we exist, or however you want to look at the big picture.

By your logic, I could say there is some finite probability that the god "Morbo" exists and punishes specifically those who believe in christianity for an eternity, and everyone else goes to heaven. The chance of "morbo" existing is only 0.0000001% but by not believing in christianity I am giving myself infinite pot odds to goto Heaven.

BB King's
09-08-2005, 04:23 PM
<font color="red"> Do you think there is a .01% chance God exists?

Assuming you can answer yes, let me make some more assumptions.

1.) We have souls (A part of us that is eternal)

2.) We live forever, either in Heaven or hell, after we die.

I think these are reasonable assumptions to make, if in fact, God exists.
</font>

Completely non-sense !!!

Just another example of vulgar christianity spamming by a newbie !

I begin to see a pattern here !

It makes me sick !!!

09-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Great, if all sins can be forgiven, then I just won't blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Even my sin of trying to work the system will be forgiven, right?

Now if you want to go back to your pot odds question, you seem to only accept it as far as it fits into YOUR currently held beliefs. By that I mean, that you believe masturbation is ok in and of itself. But what if you are wrong and the more strict Christians are right about this. Wouldn't your pot odds argument argue that you should never masturbate just because of the long-shot chance that you are wrong. I think it is incredibly convenient for you to ask us to make some adjustments to our beliefs for pot odds reasons when you aren't willing to make any adjustments to yours, even when making these adjustments would not violate any other hard and fast principals of yours. Do you see what I'm getting at? If you don't, let me know and I will try again to be more clear.

09-08-2005, 04:39 PM
I forgot to add one more point. You wrote "The difference between right and wrong is BUILT into us."

You say that as if this difference between right and wrong is obvious to everyone so they should just do right and not do wrong to play it safe for pot odds reasons. I disagree that this right and wrong line is so obvious. If it was, you'd settle just about every major argument that mankind has had with each other. Just think about almost every hot button political issue today from abortion to gay marriage, etc. People all have different ideas of what is right and wrong on these things. Have you read the Sklansky posts on stealing, necrophilia, etc.? This "built into us" thing if true, I'd like you to simplify how I can easily tap into this truth. And please don't say "read the Bible" or else I'm liable to think that slavery is right and being in the same room with a woman on her period is wrong.

So this point of fact that you so easily cite as something we should just all get on board with isn't so easily understood. What am I to do if my mother or father ask me to steal? Honor them?

09-08-2005, 05:06 PM
No, I don't even give the idea of God a .o1 percent chance.
No evidence, no chance, that's the way it works. In a poker related example.
Let's say that there's a rumor going around that there's a chance there could be a mysterious exta card in a deck of cards, but the rumor has been around for thousands of years, and no one has ever encountered an instance where this phantom card has appeared in a game. Should you give any weight to the rumor, even .01 percent. Nope. Changing your strategy even an inkling based on the chance that the phantom card will come up is a mistake. But you may say"Alot of people I know and like give credence to the phantom card theory, so I think I will too." It's your choice, but choosing to vary your play based on rumor and social influences is a -EV decision.
There ya go, I fit it into a poker example. Patting myself on the back /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Shooby

andyfox
09-08-2005, 05:35 PM
"Believe Jesus died for our sins, and was resurrected - Is this so hard to believe? Tony Robbins brought a man with a heart attack back to life. Look into it."

Yes, it's hard for me to believe. As it would be if you mean that Tony Robbins brought a dead man back to life by supernatural means. Any links?

When I hear about bringing someone back from the dead I'm reminded of what Billy Crystal's character said in Willow, when asked if so-and-so was dead: "I've seen worse."

Prevaricator
09-08-2005, 07:26 PM
pascal's wager again, what else is new.

Aytumious
09-08-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pascal's wager again, what else is new.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how people think this is actually a new and clever argument.

TheQ
09-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Good point.

TheQ
09-08-2005, 07:50 PM
Consiously never heard of it. I'll check it out. The post was meant to get responses, so I can decide whether to continue or not.

TheQ
09-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Continuing with all game probability, what is the minimum amount of proof, I need, to believe?

Should I pray for Him to speak to me? I'm serous. I'd be willing to try it. Would it count if I heard Him in my head? Or would I be called crazy? Would He have to speak out loud on TV for it to qualify? Lets have some responses, and I will write them down, and give it a shot.