PDA

View Full Version : how to play with a big stack?

billygoat
04-26-2003, 03:22 AM
i know this is not a massive problem to have but i am finding that in the latter stages of my local PLHE comp i have established significantly more chips than average and am usually either chip leader or thereabouts on my table. THe question i have is how do i maximise my position as chip strong? do i steal more/less call more/less raise more/less?

One example is as follows 7 on my table folded to button who raises the pot, blinds 1K 2K, 2 with 5. I am on SB with AKoff whats my move? re-raise, flat call pass? the button is second chip leader and similar to my own stack, does this matter? any thoughts advice commments about this hand and stack management in general would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Greg (FossilMan)
04-26-2003, 02:00 PM
The times to steal are when it is likely they will pass. When you are chip leader, they are more likely to pass. Even if your initial raise is only for 10% or less of their chips, they know that if it turns into a big hand, they could go broke. As such, they will tend to fold more. Of course, others will see you as the target, the player who can double them up, and will be more inclined to play with you. Value bet this group, and bluff the first group. Just remember to always be aware of your present image at the table, before choosing your action.

BTW, if I have AK in the small blind and the button raises as the first one in, I'm pretty much never going to fold. I'm usually going to reraise the pot. I am very likely holding the best hand, though if I win it right then, that's OK also.

That's also a hand I'm likely to show when I'm chip leader. I want to reinforce the image that I've got a hand everytime I raise, so they will fold even more often.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Guy McSucker
04-26-2003, 04:09 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
That's also a hand I'm likely to show when I'm chip leader. I want to reinforce the image that I've got a hand everytime I raise, so they will fold even more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to imply you take a different attitude to showing hands when low on chips. Is that right? If so, what's different and why?

Do you perhaps prefer to encourage callers when you're low on chips and want to double up?

Guy.

Greg (FossilMan)
04-27-2003, 02:40 PM
No, I didn't actually mean to imply that. I might also show the hand when short-stacked, as I typically prefer to win the blinds over getting called. With everything but AA and KK, winning the blinds is usually the best result, unless it's still very early and everybody has a lot of chips compared to the blinds.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)