PDA

View Full Version : Mark Twain

01-15-2002, 02:23 AM
Just watched the first part of the Ken Burns PBS show on Mark Twain. If you're a Twain fan, don't miss tomorrow night's second part.

I also just got out some books to re-read a couple of sections of his writings they talked about. Chapter 31 of Huckleberry Finn, when Huck can't decide whether or not to turn Jim in as a runaway slave and, deciding not to, says, "All right then, I'll go to hell" is one of the most electrifying statements ever written.

And his short article "A True Story, Repeated Word for Word as I Heard It" cannot help but make you cry as a former slave tells how her family was sold off one by one. Powerful stuff.

He was something special the likes of which we haven't seen since.

01-15-2002, 04:02 AM
One of my favorite things he said is:

"When in doubt, tell the truth."

not necessarily good for poker, but good in life.

Rob

01-15-2002, 09:57 AM
When I was 14 my old man was so ignorant I couldn't bear to have him around. By the time I reached 21 I couldn't believe how much my father had learned in 7 years.

01-15-2002, 12:32 PM
I love Twain. I've always admired his vinegar, and found last night's show slightly cloying, but enjoyed it and look forward to tonight's.

"Too much of anything is bad. Too much whiskey is just enough."

01-16-2002, 12:42 AM
Andy,

Huck's line is stagggering given the time period--it's easier to go to hell today because we don't believe in it anymore.

John

01-16-2002, 01:14 AM
It is sound judgment to put on a bold face and ply your

hand for a hundred times what it worth; forty-nine times

out of fifty nobody dares to 'call', and you roll in the

chips.

above is a mark twain quote i copied that i liked.

01-16-2002, 03:12 AM
Mason: "The size of the pot determines if this play is correct. Of course, you should occasionally make this play into a small pot to disguise your better hands."

Mike Caro: "As you can see, Twain exhibits the ubiquitous strong means weak tell. Realizing this will earn you $121.2325/hr."

Ray Zee: "sometimes you win pots by betting but you cant win in a showdown without a better hand. basically you just have to play good poker"

David Sklansky: "This play is only correct when you have T9 and the flop is A 6 7."

Tommy Angelo: "I make this play from the button with 75o and better against 8 or fewer limpers. I would fold AA from the big blind however even if Twain's bet would take me all-in. Even though I couldn't make or call anymore bets, the hand is still too hard to play out of position from the flop on."

SPM: "When I entered the 4th battle of the Great Holdem wars, I found I was against a mercenary, sent by zee himself. He arrived from Border Town with heavy armaments and unleashed a firestorm of biblical proportions. The moment I peeked over the ridge, all of his troops advanced. I was not yet ready to do battle, so I retreated to my valley of patience and waited for the Great Aces to come to my aid.

-SPM, too bad they were no match for his 2's"

Guess these internet forum notables:

a. "Meow Meow Meowhead"

b. "I called then my wife yelled at me."

c. "Mark Twain was funded by terrorists and Huck Finn is not actually a novel but a shell bank."

There are many more great posters, you just need some distinguishing characteristics...

-Glenn.

01-16-2002, 09:11 AM
lol..gr8 post....