PDA

View Full Version : Putting him on something I can beat!

Punker
04-26-2003, 03:17 AM
I join a 2-4 game on Party and post in the cutoff to receive the dazzling holding of 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

It starts off with a series of folds and I'm dreading it being folded to me and trying to decide if I'm actually going to raise with it! Luckily, someone limps in front of me, and I check and the SB calls, and the BB folds out to no bet? Ok whatever. 3 of us see the flop.

Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Pair and a flush draw, in position! I'm in heaven?

Checked to me and I bet. SB checkraises and folds the limper. I three bet to take control of the hand and he calls.

Turn Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

That didn't make my hand any worse! SB bets out again and I call.

River Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

Well if I was ahead...I'm still ahead! He bets and I call.

I learned how to play this hand from Yer Ma?

Inthacup
04-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Beating a naked A /forums/images/icons/heart.gif is not going to be profitable enough vs. all the other combinations of hands that could beat you(which includes K2 LOL). I'd fold to the checkraise, or call and fold the turn. If I were you, I'd show my cards at the showdown no matter what. If people see you play a hand like this on your first hand, you'll get paid off more on later hands.

Jeffage
04-26-2003, 10:39 AM
The flop bet is OK in such a shorthanded pot but when u get checkraised, it's real easy to give it up. A bigger pair and a bigger heart or an even better hand are real possibilities and the pot is small. Muck it.

Jeff

AceHigh
04-26-2003, 10:40 AM
I think I would fold to the check/raise. Pots not very big and are you going to be comfortable betting your flush draw if it gets there?

Ted Geisel
04-26-2003, 12:15 PM
AceHigh makes a good point, how can you bet or even call with that flush-to-be you seem to value so highly ?

Ted "I chase for fun not money" Geisel

eMarkM
04-26-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm dreading it being folded to me and trying to decide if I'm actually going to raise with it!

When you post in the CO and it is folded to you, you should raise with just about anything.

Fold to the c/r, even if he does just have a naked A. It will get too expensive if you're beat with bottom pair, no kicker. Just about everything else beats you.

Yerma
04-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Well, I guess he's got either flush draw or some pairs?! Or the made fluush too. Jubilation that it is some spectacular call down!

"I learned how to play this hand from Yer Ma?"

Is this like a new signature?

Punker
04-27-2003, 12:11 AM
When you post in the CO and it is folded to you, you should raise with just about anything.

I know that, that's the point. Is 32o "just about anything"?

Punker
04-27-2003, 12:12 AM
He turned over absolutely nothing, not even a dry heart and I won. A note was made in his file ("bluffing station!"), and a note was made in my file ("calling station!").

Punker
04-27-2003, 12:13 AM
Has Yer ma every play-ed poker? He hadn't any flush card or pair!

I have now surpassed Yer Ma.

JTG51
04-27-2003, 12:21 AM
I know that, that's the point. Is 32o "just about anything"?

That depends. Are you playing hi lo? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jim Easton
04-27-2003, 02:26 AM

Ciaffone says he wouldn't fault someone who raised without looking at his cards in this situation.

Yerma
04-27-2003, 02:51 AM
ps. Someone said something about Ciasffone. Listen, Ciasfoone is much like davidross. And who the hell cares what he things? Have you read his (Ciaffone's) book? I would like to offer the following review:

Middle-Limit Hold'em Poker by Brier and Ciaffone: (rated 0.5/10)

This is the poker book which espouses folding when you have excellent calling or raising hands. Also, the Brier and Ciaffone preflop system includes such moves as calling and/or folding with excellent raising hands! The main theme of the book appears to be "your opponent has the nuts...if you have more then one opponent, they hold the second and third nut and so forth. This is always true!"

Louie Landale
04-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Top-Pair-Top-Kicker-Top-Draw in position.

This is a toughie. You've got a terrible two-way hand but its VERY unlikely you are beat in both directions. So, yeah, I'd call him to the river as well.

And ... surprise he bets again on the river. He wouldn't bet a single pair like that and it really doesn't matter HOW badly you are beat. Good call.

Try "I didn't like my kicker" next time.

- Louie