PDA

View Full Version : What are you folks reading?

09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Other than David Sklansky and J.Stew, are any of you reading anything and trying to learn what is really going on or are you just spitting out your own personal ideas with no research? If you are, what kind of research do you have to prove any of your theories?
First seek yee the truth.

09-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Theories of WHAT?

I read philosophy, history, science, and poker for the most part.

09-08-2005, 02:40 PM
For instance I saw one post about the RNG and internet poker, the RNG was created as part of an expirament in collective consciousness. It was built using radioactive atomic decay, which would supposidly insure random activity. etc. etc.
I wasn't slamming anyone, I just like to read.
I was loking more for titles. :-)~

09-08-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For instance I saw one post about the RNG and internet poker, the RNG was created as part of an expirament in collective consciousness. It was built using radioactive atomic decay, which would supposidly insure random activity. etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know that "RNG" is just an algorithm to create pseudo-random numbers, right? There is no "THE" RNG, as if it is a specific entity.

Anyway, if you want titles to interesting reads, here's a few recommendations from my recent activity:

-- "The Decline and Fall of the Soviet Empire: Forty Years That Shook the World, from Stalin to Yeltsin" by Fred Coleman

-- "The Skeptic : A Life of H. L. Mencken" by Terry Teachout

-- "A Storm in Flanders: The Ypres Salient, 1914-1918: Tragedy and Triumph on the Western Front" by Winston Groom

-- "The Metaphysical Club: A Story of Ideas in America" by Louis Menand

BluffTHIS!
09-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Another newbie poster who has come to evangelize the heathen. And he asks what research we are doing when he hasn't even taken the time to search for religious threads over the past months to find out why we regulars do believe various views.

09-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Finally a spark if intellect. I knew you had it in you somewhere.
What else do you know about the entity known as RNG. Who invented it, and upon whose research did He get the idea, and why was it invented??

09-08-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally a spark if intellect. I knew you had it in you somewhere.
What else do you know about the entity known as RNG. Who invented it, and upon whose research did He get the idea, and why was it invented??

[/ QUOTE ]

You question my intellect and then ask about the inventor of "the RNG" (apparently, there is just one, right?). You are so learned.

09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
You are hilarious.
I have no doubt about your intellect. I just wanted you to show some. Like I said I knew you could.
If i knew the answer why would I ask the question? I was asking you if you knew my friend because I don't. lol
Yes I am a very studious person yet I know that so many know so much more than I. The first step is to realize that we know nothing. I was having a friendly conversation, were you?? I don't argue.
You made my day, I am literally laughing my ass off.

09-08-2005, 03:41 PM
An attack doesn't equate a title. I asked what are you reading because I want to read it also my friend, yes I am new but I did nothing to attack you. Nor will I start now. Evangelize?? You have got to be kidding?? You're opinion is much more important than mine could ever be. I would rather be the heathen.

BluffTHIS!
09-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Who do you have your eye on to ask out for the junior prom this year?

09-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Knowledge isn't intellect, it's a product of functional memory.
Shooby

09-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Brad Pitt you??
I love this you guys are hilarious.

09-08-2005, 11:44 PM
I'm well read/educated in physics, math, biology, evolution, and I have a layman's knowledge of psychology. I've also read much of the bible directly, and various articles about it.

I've also read much of the literature of various religions, astrology, homeopathy, various pseudoscience, and rubbish like field of consciousness via quantum mechanics (that was for you /images/graemlins/wink.gif).

09-09-2005, 01:43 AM
I need titles of good solid reading material.
I need a good read.

m1illion
09-09-2005, 01:58 AM
I am in the middle of a tome called " Green Eggs and Ham."
The follow up, I'm told, is called "One fish, two fish" but I doubt that I'll fully grasp the concepts presented there.

09-09-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I need a good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

What didn't you just say so?

[ QUOTE ]
Other than David Sklansky and J.Stew, are any of you reading anything and trying to learn what is really going on or are you just spitting out your own personal ideas with no research? If you are, what kind of research do you have to prove any of your theories?
First seek yee the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyway, here's my picks:

"What Remains to Be Discovered : Mapping the Secrets of the Universe, the Origins of Life, and the Future of the Human Race" Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/068482292X/002-4243126-2824846?v=glance)
This was written by editor of Nature for the past 25 years. Nature is the most prestigious scientific journal in the world, and this guy is in a great position to tell you what the future holds. His writing is clear and very insightful. An amazing read.

"Fame in the 20th Century" by Clive James
This isn't strictly science, but an interesting account of the effects of the media and fame on modern society. It's not some postmodern intellectualist crap, it's meant to be entertaining and historical, and does a good job of touching on sociology.

More technically and math inclined:
"The Feynmann lectures on physics" Pure brilliance.
Far better than A Brief History of Time. That was written by a nerd in a wheelchair doing the mental equivalent of jacking off.

unreal_nh
09-09-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I need a good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

are we talking fiction, non fiction, or both?

sexdrugsmoney
09-09-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've also read much of the bible directly,

[/ QUOTE ]

How much is 'much'?

09-09-2005, 04:09 AM
You're gonna have to use the dictionary alot on the second book, and read it a few times. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Shooby