PDA

View Full Version : A Situation I Hate & A Turn Decision

GrunchCan
09-08-2005, 01:45 PM
This is one of my most uncomfortable situations in no-limit poker.

The opponent is generally loose-passive, likes to call.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Button ($25.50)
SB ($33.25)
BB ($26.21)
Hero ($23.49)
MP ($13.05)
CO ($63.69)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.

Flop: ($4.35) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP calls $3.

Turn: ($10.35) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

How did I do so far? What should my plan be from here on out?

kongo_totte
09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Looks good so far. I check-fold turn. Check-call a small bet on river.

Depending on how PF-passive he is, a check-fold on flop is not horrible.

MINETZ
09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
looks like he peeled one off /w ak, bet again, if he calls, ur done /w the hand.

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I bet about 2/3 pot on the turn, fold to raise. If called, I value bet the river. This to me is a case much like limit in the sense that you have to value bet these calling stations.

GrunchCan
09-08-2005, 02:00 PM
First question, how much do you bet on turn? Full pot?

Second question, what is the function of the turn bet? If he has AK as you suspect, we don't want him to fold. If he has any other hand, he will either call or raise and we're done. Don't we want to check the turn instead?

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he has AK as you suspect, we don't want him to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

We also dont want to give him a free card, right?

GrunchCan
09-08-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he has AK as you suspect, we don't want him to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

We also dont want to give him a free card, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Righto.

Should we be looking at this as a way-ahead/way-behind scenario? Fron another angle, what's the likelyhood the opponent has AK, AA, KK, or something else?

If it's about 50%/50% that he has something we are WA of vs. something we are WB, then we need to make a bet that he will incorrectly call when we are WA. But we don't want to just spew the max when we are WB. So is the right bet something like 2/3 pot? Then if we make this turn bet and are called, check-fold the river UI?

If we think he has AK most of the time, then we should just get max value, right? Bet the maximum that he will call on every street unless he improves?

davelin
09-08-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet about 2/3 pot on the turn, fold to raise. If called, I value bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is Villain calling here that we possibly beat? 99/88?

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I was thinking about the WA/WB and it definitely applies. However if he does have AK you dont want to give him a free card or be blown off your hand by showing weakness (granted based on your read this probably wont happen but it is possible). It is a tough situation no doubt. I dont know that I can check fold the river personally, but I am not saying it isnt correct. I probably throw out a bet on the river but I suspect I may be spewing at this point.

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I bet about 2/3 pot on the turn, fold to raise. If called, I value bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about AK/AQ/JJ/TT as well? The most helpful bit of info is what does the villains PF minraise mean?

davelin
09-08-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about AK/AQ/JJ/TT as well? The most helpful bit of info is what does the villains PF minraise mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry if I'm being a NL-newb here. If AQ/JJ calls us on the river, how is that value?

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Davelin,

Im sorry I actually misread your question. I thought you were talking about the turn. Given that it is six max and what the board is, its not unreasonable that a calling station is going to show down a worse pair here.

GrunchCan
09-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Even a calling station who 3-bet PF?

As you said, a lot depends on what the 3-bet means. But how often can it really mean "I have 66" (for example)?

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 02:49 PM
It was a minraise, not a 3-bet. In my experience at SSNL, it means one of two things: 1) AA/KK or 2) small pair or face cards (to include AK). The more I think about it the better it is to treat it like a WA/WB situation I think. To be honest, I want to see a river here. So pot control is probably key here and my original advice may be a bit of chip spewing. Part of my advice was (wrongly) based on my style of play, which dictates that I value bet more in situations like this because people are likely tobe calling me with a wider range of hands. But I think probably pot control is key here til you have a better handle on this guy.

09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First question, how much do you bet on turn? Full pot?

Second question, what is the function of the turn bet? If he has AK as you suspect, we don't want him to fold. If he has any other hand, he will either call or raise and we're done. Don't we want to check the turn instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I have seen at this level it seems once you slow down on the turn the villain immediately ups the ante and bets large, trying to pick up the pot...putting you on less than 10-10. I would bet 2/3rd of the pot and then kick it in if he re-raises. He may just call again or might even fold, suspecting hero of a Q.

TheWorstPlayer
09-08-2005, 05:44 PM
If he's loose/passive, I check/fold the turn. If he's aggressive, I usually check/call the flop and bet/fold the turn. If he's really passive preflop, I will just check/fold the flop. Or possibly check/call the flop and check/fold the turn.