PDA

View Full Version : S&M Seminar @ Mirage

PokerBabe(aka)
04-26-2003, 01:27 AM
Mason and David hosted approximately 40 poker enthusiasts and gave several hours of their time to a Q&A session at the Mirage today. Most of the discussion was about hold 'em and limit games, but there was also some tournament/no-limit issues covered. Our own 2+2er's Clarkmeister, Dynasty, Abe, HDPM, MBE, J. Gaspar, Michael D, Cosmo, and Majorkong were in attendance along with those well-known WPDG members Al Schoonmaker, H. Burroughs, S. Evans, E. Stallmann, Timmer and the famous Barry Tanenbaum. Several of my poker pals from various limits (Darren, Paul R and Steve R.) were also in attendance. A raffle was held, and copies of David's "Tournament Poker For Advanced Players" were given to the lucky winners. A nice selection of poker books was offered for purchase and the authors signed copies for anyone who asked. After the seminar, many of the attendees went to the Mirage buffet and had some "intimate" time together. Later, several of us went to the poker room for a little hold'em. I initially got into a game with a few seminar participants, but quickly left to find an easier field. After winning almost a rack, I came home to write this note. As for fashion trends, the Babe was dressed entirely in black today and I was delighted to see that both Mason and David followed suit (no, I did not coach them on their wardrobe selection)! Mason's lovely wife Charmaine was wearing a stylish black outfit as well. I just want to say THANKS to all for a wonderful day and remember to LGPG at all times. Babe /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Abe
04-26-2003, 03:56 PM
The seminar was excellent and the buffet dinner group was also very worthwhile. Thanks to 2+2 for organizing and conducting this.

Three other quick comments:

PokerBabe really does LG and PG.

Mason was witty and hilarious in his comments and answers to questions. He showed a funny droll sense of humor that most people would not expect.

My personal hero and mentor (Snakehead) was not in attendance but he had advised me to be sure to meet HDPM, be especially nice to PokerBabe, and avoid Vince at all costs. I went 3 for 3 on these items.

Howard Burroughs
04-26-2003, 05:24 PM
Yes Babe, it was a great day.

The seminar/Q&A was their fourth one in the past two years at the Mirage/Bellagio. I attended all four and felt this one was the best. Got to meet Abe, John G, HDPM & Wombat 6. Got to mingle with Poker Babe, Barry & Betty Tanenbaum, Earl Stallmann, Ben O, Steve Evans, Timmer, Al Schoonmaker, Dynasty, MBE, Clarkmeister & Major Kong.

My wife won a free 2+2 book at the raffle (I already have them all but she likes her own copies so she can write in them).

Great cookies and bottled water in the back of the room and Sklansky & Malmuth in the front. As Abe pointed out, Mason was very entertaining and jovial. One of his many whimsical lines was when he ribbed Sklansky about David's habit of putting up quizes on the forums and then forgetting to follow up on them :-)

I don't have my seminar notes nearby so I'll skip the strategy highlights for now.

After the Q&A, it was buffet time. If Mason & David continue to have these get togethers every year, I hope they keep this added bonus part of the 2+2 day. After all, standing in a buffet line with Sklansky & Malmuth is to a poker player, what going on a stake out with Starsky & Hutch would be to a 70's cop show fanatic.

The buffet was great. A time to relax and break bread with fellow 2+2ers.

Thanks Mason. Thanks David and thank you to the ever lovely Donna Harris.

After the Q&A and the buffet, Dynasty was nice enough to invite my wife & I to play at the Monte Carlo in the "After the seminar game" (that might not be what he called it, but I'm calling it that for dramatic effect).

They started a new game for us (Major Kong, Dynasty, My wife Cassie, HDPM, Clarkmeister & a nice kid from San Diego who as far as we know thinks 2+2 is just an equation).

I got schooled real good but had a lot of fun in this game (even if I did run into quads twice and paid off like a slot machine both times).

This game was the most fun I've had playing poker in a long time (and I LOVE playing poker), even if I did occasionally embarrass myself with a few DUMB plays.

What a great day. All in all, I felt like I was at a 2+2 summer camp. The seminar, the buffet and the "After the seminar game".

Thanks players. You rock!

Best of Luck

Howard

scalf
04-26-2003, 07:36 PM
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif gr8 report howard...remember donna harris from late 70's-80's at golden nugget...i made a comment to someone at mirage a few years ago that she looked nicer...lol..he said no..lol..but she's still a babe..gl /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

HDPM
04-27-2003, 09:56 PM
"After the Q&A and the buffet, Dynasty was nice enough to invite my wife & I to play at the Monte Carlo in the "After the seminar game" (that might not be what he called it, but I'm calling it that for dramatic effect)."

I thought it was called the "See How Many Drinks the Cocktail Waitress Will Bring At One Time Game." The first coctail waitress brought me the one little glass of Wild Turkey thinking that would do it. The second one did better after some prompting by Clarkmeister. She brought a Turkey on the rocks filled to the brim, a healthy shot of Turkey she said was just some extra they had, and a Heineken. That was the right speed. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif From then on it was just beers every time she came by. Cashing out Dynasty questioned my seemingly small win, but Clarkmeister pointed out that tokes were a significant expense in the game. The Babe should have come down to our game, even if it was LL.

"This game was the most fun I've had playing poker in a long time (and I LOVE playing poker), even if I did occasionally embarrass myself with a few DUMB plays."

I feel exactly the same. No other game I'd rather play in. And I made some pretty dumb plays too. I think a couple of people who sat down expected a softer game tho. They saw a lot of chips and a lot of drinks on the table. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

As for after the game broke...... I'll let others elaborate. Las Vegas sure has a lot to do at all hours though. And no, I'm not in trouble for it either. I was playing hurt at the Mirage on Saturday tho. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

Clarkmeister
04-27-2003, 11:58 PM
I distinctly remember going straight home after leaving the Monte Carlo.

HDPM
04-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Yes, I remember you went straight home too. I didn't though. I was a tourist on vacation so I hit the town. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
04-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Wow, sounds like fun. I hope you were careful. Lots of places in Vegas have been known to be significantly -EV for the unsuspecting tourist.

As long as you got home before dawn, you know you avoided any serious problems. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

HDPM
04-28-2003, 12:51 AM
"As long as you got home before dawn, you know you avoided any serious problems. "

D'oh. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Dynasty
04-28-2003, 01:25 AM
I distinctly remember going straight home after leaving the Monte Carlo.

You really did drink a lot after the game. It's a shame because I'm sure you would really enjoy remembering the stuff I remember, especially since I was the conservative one.

If it makes you feel better, I think you, HDPM, and majorkong put three young ladies through college for their spring semester.

Clarkmeister
04-28-2003, 01:48 AM
It must've been you who was drinking. The clock clearly said 2:04 AM when I got home. I'm glad to hear you went out with HDPM though. Got to be a good host. Sorry I couldn't join you guys.

Bob T.
04-28-2003, 02:21 AM
Sounds fun, When can I come back to Las Vegas.