PDA

View Full Version : Clonie Gowen

balt999
09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I know Clonie Gowen is one of the "name" poker players, but can tell me her poker accomplishments? Seems like she hasn't done anything to warrant so much attention except for the fact she has a pretty face.

istewart
09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
You're right.

hoopsie44
09-08-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know Clonie Gowen is one of the "name" poker players, but can tell me her poker accomplishments? Seems like she hasn't done anything to warrant so much attention except for the fact she has a pretty face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her face is just as overrated as her game.

KramerTM
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Far and away the best looking poker player. And that includes Hellmuth.

Luv2DriveTT
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're right.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, you are wrong. She is a founder of a poker players 'union', which provides health insurance and security to professional players. She is a businesswoman, and is equally as important as other key female players in our industry such as Linda Johnson (for different reasons of course).

TT

budman
09-08-2005, 08:23 PM
She also has a killer body and doesn't mind showing cleavage. I find it insulting that you think that someone could possible succeed in the poker world with just a pretty face.

09-08-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Far and away the best looking poker player. And that includes Hellmuth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sat next to her towards the end of a 150NL last fall at The Wildhorse. She was far from scary. I cracked a joke referring to the "bust a pro" prizes that were offered and she seized up and mummbled something about how big the payout was and I shouldn't be worried about winning a blanket.

She also doesn't look very good in person as she chain smokes and it shows in her leather like skin.

benkahuna
09-08-2005, 08:35 PM
10th in a WPT Costa Rica tourney, 1st in the 2003 WPT ladies night, other success, but nothing especially noteworthy of which I'm aware.

I think she makes a solid living at poker or did until she got so many other things going on.

Jorge10
09-08-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1st in the 2003 WPT ladies night

[/ QUOTE ]

If you saw that show, you saw that she sucked out on everyone at that table it was just painfull to watch. She isnt very good and overall hasnt really done...well anything when it comes to winning at poker, she just basically won that ladies night event and she was the only ok looking blond that played poker so all the advertisers jumped her. However she did start the poker players association so at least she didnt just take the money and run, I for one respect her for that, because she could have been like hellmuth and just taken the money and made a run for it rather than do something positive with it.

zipo
09-08-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She also has a killer body and doesn't mind showing cleavage. I find it insulting that you think that someone could possible succeed in the poker world with just a pretty face.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

benkahuna
09-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Winning is winning. Chris Ferguson sucked out badly on TJ, but he still won. I'm sure Clonie had some other fine hands that maybe you didn't see. I've talked to her and she didn't seem to suck. She cashed in the ME. I don't believe she's on the same level as Harman, Duke, Liebert, or Tran, but I think she's probably way better than the majority of people here.

I agree that she's probably very skilled with this whole marketing thing, but it seems like people want to assume she must suck because she hasn't had great enough success to get on their radar.

Seems unfair.

hoopsie44
09-09-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I find it insulting that you think that someone could possible succeed in the poker world with just a pretty face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, anyone who gets insulted by posts in these forums should have their head examined.

fsuplayer
09-09-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it insulting that you think that someone could possible succeed in the poker world with just a pretty face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, anyone who gets insulted by posts in these forums should have their head examined.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. you just got pwned.

unreal_nh
09-09-2005, 11:23 AM
she's the one in the middle right?? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.cloniegowen.com/gallery/large/tarareid_smaller.jpg

Vee Quiva
09-09-2005, 12:56 PM
How does Phil Hellmuth come into this example of taking the money and running?

Phil has done a ton of giving back to the poker world by writing articles for Card Player for years, announcing on the old WSOP broadcasts, and generally being very nice to his fans. Phil was one of the first "name" players to really go out of his way to promote the game.

benkahuna
09-09-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How does Phil Hellmuth come into this example of taking the money and running?

Phil has done a ton of giving back to the poker world by writing articles for Card Player for years, announcing on the old WSOP broadcasts, and generally being very nice to his fans. Phil was one of the first "name" players to really go out of his way to promote the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, seriously, Phil is great for the game! He loves it and promotes the hell out of it through articles, books, DVDs, public appearances, and attention-getting antics on TV that increase ratings. The only thing he doesn't do is put tournament money back into ring games--I mean he does when he plays, he just doesn't play them that much.

slickpoppa
09-09-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
10th in a WPT Costa Rica tourney, 1st in the 2003 WPT ladies night, other success, but nothing especially noteworthy of which I'm aware.

I think she makes a solid living at poker or did until she got so many other things going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's not forget that she came in second in blind man's bluff in 2004

Quicksilvre
09-09-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing he doesn't do is put tournament money back into ring games--I mean he does when he plays, he just doesn't play them that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the money pumped into the poker economy by the players Hellmuth brought into poker makes up for it.

captZEEbo1
09-10-2005, 07:22 AM
I don't know if she's primarly a tourny player or cash game player, but here are her tourny accomplishments:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=21433

Jorge10
09-10-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing he doesn't do is put tournament money back into ring games--I mean he does when he plays, he just doesn't play them that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true.

The problem with hellmuth is that the way he acts will eventually lead to people hating poker. I mean if everyone acted like a jackass everytime they got bad beat it would be hard for newbies to want to play. I mean who wants to get yelled at and told he sucks and what not. As far as promoting the game, he didnt do much in that respect, I mean he hasnt really won wpt tourneys or anything, Gus Hansen, Phil Ivey and Barry Greenstein have done more to promote the game than hellmuth, I mean everyone likes to watch the crazy way Gus plays, and the fact that Greenstein donates to charity.

Quicksilvre
09-10-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The problem with hellmuth is that the way he acts will eventually lead to people hating poker. I mean if everyone acted like a jackass everytime they got bad beat it would be hard for newbies to want to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. OTOH, he plays the anti-hero very nicely.

Mikey
09-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Ladies night, lol.

Thats seriously a retarded event....

the women in this world make me laugh, you have a group that wants to be treated equal to me and then sometimes the same group wants to have

1. Lady events.
2. men pay for the meals.
3. Men to hold a door open for them.

I'm not being cold but if you want to be treated equal start acting like it.

By the way, I pay for ladies when we go out and hold the door for them.

i think Annie Duke said it best when she was playing in the Omaha Event she won.... she said, I'm going to play in this event, not the event that says "ok girls you go play over there and we'll go play over here."

THANKS.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

benkahuna
09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i think Annie Duke said it best when she was playing in the Omaha Event she won.... she said, I'm going to play in this event, not the event that says "ok girls you go play over there and we'll go play over here."

THANKS.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldn't have seemed nearly so cool if she hadn't won, which she hadn't ever before.