PDA

View Full Version : tennis proposition bet against a tennis pro

tdarko
09-08-2005, 12:38 PM
at three o' clock i am going to play tennis against a tennis pro (a friend of mine) and we have made a little propostition bet since he talks too much [censored].

his skill: made it past the first round of the australian once (i believe it was 02'?). basically he is pretty much just a really good tennis player, not unbelievable...we are not talking about bjorn borg here.

my skill: i play but its off and on, if i played a lot i would be pretty good. every tennis skill i have i learned i have learned from him (probably a bad thing?). i have zero competition experience though i routinely beat my mom and step-brother all the time.

here's the deal: 5 sets. he spots me 1 set so i auto start 1-0. i also only have to win 5 games in each set instead of the normal 6.

all normal tennis rules apply to him.

the bet is $1000.

do i continue with this?

or do i tell him, "let's just play for no money?"

diebitter
09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
no money.

Yeti
09-08-2005, 12:40 PM
If you take this bet you are a complete idiot.

Grisgra
09-08-2005, 12:41 PM
What are you, retarded?

jakethebake
Depends. Is this your mom & brother?

http://www.homestead.com/evita412/files/George_and_Mom__fat.jpg

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
at three o' clock i am going to play tennis against a tennis pro (a friend of mine) and we have made a little propostition bet since he talks too much [censored].

his skill: made it past the first round of the australian once (i believe it was 02'?). basically he is pretty much just a really good tennis player, not unbelievable...we are not talking about bjorn borg here.

my skill: i play but its off and on, if i played a lot i would be pretty good. every tennis skill i have i learned i have learned from him (probably a bad thing?). i have zero competition experience though i routinely beat my mom and step-brother all the time.

here's the deal: 5 sets. he spots me 1 set so i auto start 1-0. i also only have to win 5 games in each set instead of the normal 6.

all normal tennis rules apply to him.

the bet is $1000.

do i continue with this?

or do i tell him, "let's just play for no money?"

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't seem like enough of a spot if he's that good. Get spot 1 set with only needing to win 2-3 games.

If he's significantly better than you, getting only 1 set out of 5 isn't much of an advantage, especially if you still need to win 5 games per set.

also, at least make the bet for $1,000,000. You could probably come up with something good to spend it on...

WackityWhiz
09-08-2005, 12:42 PM
not a good bet man... you are not going to beat him in a set, or at least you shouldn't. I think the only way you beat him is if he screws up 5 times in a set.

but good luck if you try

beckham9
09-08-2005, 12:43 PM
maybe if you have to win 5 games and he spots you 40-0 each game it would be semi fair i would say.

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Hope you have some of that blinding powder from Bloodsport available if you go through with this prop.

BeerMoney
09-08-2005, 12:45 PM
I would imagine you won't be able to take a game off of him. If he made past the first round, that means he either beat a really good player, or was seeded really high.

You won't be able to return a single one of his first serves, unless you get lucky.

The only reason why you should bet $1000 is if you're allowed to video tape it for laughs in the future, or you could possibly sell it.

If you are going to bet, I'd like to be a part of this action. I'll give you 2:1.

You probably couldn't beat most of the #1 singles players at local high schools.

freehat
09-08-2005, 12:47 PM
You won't even win a game

Shajen
09-08-2005, 12:47 PM
I would not take this bet.

Wait, I would if I could go all McEnroe on him.

YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!

http://www.ken.ch/so/alt/schuelerInnen/h3b2000/www.tennis.ch/bilder/john%20mcenroe.jpg

bravos1
09-08-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no money.

[/ QUOTE ]

HDPM
09-08-2005, 12:52 PM
"his skill: made it past the first round of the australian once (i believe it was 02'?). basically he is pretty much just a really good tennis player, not unbelievable...we are not talking about bjorn borg here.

my skill: i play but its off and on, if i played a lot i would be pretty good. every tennis skill i have i learned i have learned from him (probably a bad thing?). i have zero competition experience though i routinely beat my mom and step-brother all the time."

Basically he is pretty much a great tennis player. You have no competitive experience at tennis. You have 0% chance of winning with this spot. Perhaps if you get a set on the wire, 30-0 in each game, he gets one serve not two, you go to 4 games in the set, you get the alleys too, you could play for $100 if you are an extremely good tennis player. I don't think you can win that way tho.

If you already made the bet kiss your $ goodbye. His talking got you where he wanted. You bet a lot with really no spot.

offTopic
09-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Where is Dominic in this thread?

I think you should start out by playing Mason for $500. Sklansky thinks he's pretty good. (http://groups.google.com/group/rec.gambling.poker/tree/browse_frm/thread/eb69e413eb35fb1c/eea4731c731ef6b6?rnum=21&hl=en&q=tennis+mason+grou p:rec.gambling.poker+author:dsklansky&_done=%2Fgro up%2Frec.gambling.poker%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Feb 69e413eb35fb1c%2F51ddd1cfd0e0057f%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3 Dtennis+mason+group:rec.gambling.poker+author:dskl ansky%26rnum%3D1%26hl%3Den%26#doc_51ddd1cfd0e0057f ) If you beat Mason, that would defray the expense of playing against the pro. If you lose to Mason, you've saved $500.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-08-2005, 12:56 PM
He will own you like none other. I'd put the line on how many total games you win at 1 (and then I'd take the under).

LetYouDown
09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Really really strange that this came up. Yesterday I was wondering what sport would you have the least chance of winning against a competent professional if you had never played before. Assume that regardless of the sport, you have the appropriate physique and are reasonably agile. Oddly enough, Tennis was the first sport that came to mind where you'd absolutely get your ass handed to you.

In the case you mentioned, I'd guess the only way you're even going to win a single point is when he hits it out or makes another type of error.

lucas9000
09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
is your mom chris everett? i didn't think so. you lose.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really really strange that this came up. Yesterday I was wondering what sport would you have the least chance of winning against a competent professional if you had never played before. Assume that regardless of the sport, you have the appropriate physique and are reasonably agile. Oddly enough, Tennis was the first sport that came to mind where you'd absolutely get your ass handed to you.

In the case you mentioned, I'd guess the only way you're even going to win a single point is when he hits it out or makes another type of error.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say tennis and ice hockey are 1a and 1b.

tdarko
09-08-2005, 01:02 PM
maybe i should have said that in my offseason (i play professional baseball) that i play him a few times a month when he is in town. so i am not going into this blind, i have played him before and the handicap's make it more or less even...i was wondering if the competition part is what would come into play since sparring with him is way different than going into a match.

FWIW the mom and step-brother comment was supposed to be a joke, i dont even play them.

lucas9000
09-08-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not that i necessarily think it's a sport, but golf would be right up near the top of my list.

LetYouDown
09-08-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they're both way up there. Golf was another one that I'd considered. For some reason badminton/ping pong keep jumping into my head (if you call them sports)...because there are some ridiculous players out there.

Edit: If you firmly believe that the handicaps make it even, then what's the question? Only you can decide whether to gamble on something EV neutral or not.

lucas9000
09-08-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the handicap's make it more or less even.

[/ QUOTE ]

if that's true, then your original post doesn't accurately convey how good a tennis player you must be.

hyde
09-08-2005, 01:05 PM
remove yourself from this bet as gracefully as possible.....
but by all means, remove yourself from this bet

lucas9000
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if chess is a sport, it's undoubtedly #1 on this list.

partygirluk
If you take this bet with I'll offer you $10-1 on up to the $250 on the side.

etizzle
09-08-2005, 01:07 PM
you need at least 4-0 start in each set and 1-0 set lead to have any chance.

with this structure I would put it at about 50-1 that you win.

Maybe worse.

mmbt0ne
09-08-2005, 01:07 PM
How about this: You come here to GT, and I'll set you up against one of the girls on the team under the same terms.

LetYouDown
09-08-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if chess is a sport, it's undoubtedly #1 on this list.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had considered chess as well...but I adjusted my thought process to physical sports only. There is a 0% chance that you're beating Kasparov if you haven't played chess before.

offTopic
09-08-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they're both way up there. Golf was another one that I'd considered. For some reason badminton/ping pong keep jumping into my head (if you call them sports)...because there are some ridiculous players out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

About, jeez, 10-12 years ago, a bunch of friends and myself went to the Winter CES in Vegas. One of the companies that sold FAX/Modems (a big deal at the time) had bought a lot of floor space and had set up a ping pong table. They had a couple of players from the US National Team there, and the deal was, if you got a game off one of them, you got a free modem.

They spotted the civilians 15 points (game to 21) and were pretty much screwing around, hitting all kinds of crazy shots, serving from 40-50 feet behind the table, hopping over chairs, etc. The closest anyone got that we saw was 3 points.

lucas9000
09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about this: You come here to GT, and I'll set you up against one of the girls on the team under the same terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

not bad at all (http://ramblinwreck.collegesports.com/sports/w-tennis/geot-w-tennis-body.html)

this picture (http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/geot/sports/w-tennis/auto_action/189853.jpeg) caught my eye.

jba
09-08-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Edit: If you firmly believe that the handicaps make it even, then what's the question? Only you can decide whether to gamble on something EV neutral or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

boxing, wrestling, mixed martial arts are up there too.

mmbt0ne
09-08-2005, 01:16 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

not bad at all (http://ramblinwreck.collegesports.com/sports/w-tennis/geot-w-tennis-body.html)

this picture (http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/geot/sports/w-tennis/auto_action/189853.jpeg) caught my eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

The girl on the right is who I'd put him up against.

Kristi Miller

Because jpeg files don't show up (http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/geot/sports/w-tennis/auto_action/49375.jpeg)

LetYouDown
09-08-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, but flukes happen there. Amateur boxers can get lucky, even though it's extremely unlikely. So which is a person least likely to win? Chess match against Kasparov, golf against Tiger Woods, Ping Pong against a US National team player (or China), or boxing against the Heavyweight champ? In that list, I'd pick chess. Otherwise, I'd say Ping Pong.

jba
09-08-2005, 01:17 PM
somewhat related story

I had a friend who was a starting shooting guard for a division II school, who met John Stockton at a camp. long story short he talking him into 1 on 1, Stockton stipulates it's first to 21, score by ones and twos, winner takes the ball, and spots him 19.

now this guy is pretty damn good, averaged 20 pts/g in college ball, and said after the first minute he knew for a fact he would never score two baskets.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not that i necessarily think it's a sport, but golf would be right up near the top of my list.

[/ QUOTE ]
1c

Yeti
09-08-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Really really strange that this came up. Yesterday I was wondering what sport would you have the least chance of winning against a competent professional if you had never played before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never played before!? Practically every sport. This question is way more interesting if you say you assume you have average skill at the sport.

Anyway, snooker.

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a proposition I'd be much more willing to take. Tennis chicks come in just behind the volleyball team.

BottlesOf
You will lose 1K

jba
09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, but flukes happen there. Amateur boxers can get lucky, even though it's extremely unlikely. So which is a person least likely to win? Chess match against Kasparov, golf against Tiger Woods, Ping Pong against a US National team player (or China), or boxing against the Heavyweight champ? In that list, I'd pick chess. Otherwise, I'd say Ping Pong.

[/ QUOTE ]

it really depends on what you mean by amateur, because I think very few amateurs will have any chance at all in any of those.

you're thinking about this more from the standpoint of how would #100 fare against #1, which is a separate question entirely. and even then I don't see chess being any harder than

if the #1 boxer faced the #100 boxer right now I think the vegas odds would be worse than 100-1. I think there are more than 100 chess players with a 1/100 shot of beating kasparov in any given match

mike l.
09-08-2005, 01:22 PM
dont even think about it, he will smoke you bad.

BreakfastBurrito
09-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I was a reasonably well sectionally ranked player in high school, and if you give me a month to brush up on my game, I would take this bet with those terms against you.

There are a few million tennis players out there, and your friend was likely once one of the best 100 or so of them. He's a great player. If you've played with him before, he's probably given you no inclination whatsoever of how good he really is.

trevorwc
09-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I think the discussion should be what sports you actually have a slim chance as a complete noob against the best-of-the-best in the world.

Chess, golf, tennis, hockey, basketball, ping pong - you have NO CHANCE. It's not 1A, B, C, etc...you have absolutely zero chance against a moderate pro, let alone the best in the biz.

Baseball you could get lucky and get a hit. Boxing you could land a lucky punch. And those are still like 0.00000001%. I'm drawing a blank after that.

What else do you even have a shot (however slim) against a pro?

Shajen
09-08-2005, 01:26 PM
bowling.

asofel
09-08-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the discussion should be what sports you actually have a slim chance as a complete noob against the best-of-the-best in the world.

Chess, golf, tennis, hockey, basketball, ping pong - you have NO CHANCE. It's not 1A, B, C, etc...you have absolutely zero chance against a moderate pro, let alone the best in the biz.

Baseball you could get lucky and get a hit. Boxing you could land a lucky punch. And those are still like 0.00000001%. I'm drawing a blank after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

9 ball, 1 game, sink the 9 on the break;

jba
09-08-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there is zero chance a complete noob has the strength or know-how to land a knockout punch wearing 14oz gloves against a pro.

likewise getting lucky with a baseball. if you manage to make contact, you still aren't getting anywhere. do you have any idea how fast 95 MPH fastball is? it will rip the bat right out of your hand if you are a noob. you really have no chance here either.

jba
09-08-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

9 ball, 1 game, sink the 9 on the break;

[/ QUOTE ]

totally possible

maxpower72
09-08-2005, 01:34 PM
The question isn't what sport does the good amateur not have a chance in it is what sport does he have a chance in. The answer by the way is none.

I think because of TV and the internet we have all gotten too close and familiar to pros. These guys are genetic freaks.

peterchi
09-08-2005, 01:36 PM
I think you're seriously under-representing your skill if you think you even have a chance.

My tennis instructor throughout high school was a certified teaching pro, good as [censored], and probably would not make it past the first round of any major tournament.

He'd spank the crap out of me with any handicap, even at my peak. and I played more than "on and off."

Playing a real match when something is on the line is a LOT different from screwing around and hitting some balls. I could hit winners on him all day when we're warming up, but that doesn't mean crap.

If you aren't good enough to be a scholarship athlete with a starting spot on the tennis team at a big NCAA school, I wouldn't even consider this bet. If you are, then my friend you held out on us in your OP.

jdl22
09-08-2005, 01:38 PM
ping pong I think would be worse. Any competent player should crush anybody that's never played. A competent professional would be ridiculous.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-08-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Soccer, particularly a free kick against the goalie. Again, that's not saying soccer sucks or anything. It's still a 0.000001% shot. If it's a penalty-kick type situation, I think I could score a 'reasonable' amount of times.

r2p
09-08-2005, 01:40 PM
You probably have not pushed him enough for the "A" game to come out which means play for no money.

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 01:41 PM
youre going to get raped, and i take my choice of words seriously

jdl22
09-08-2005, 01:42 PM
If we're talking penalties then anybody that played high school or higher soccer should be able to score over half the time against a world class keeper.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-08-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we're talking penalties then anybody that played high school or higher soccer should be able to score over half the time against a world class keeper.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. This is clearly the answer for easiest for a n00b against the pro. Now, if it were 1-on-1 'soccer', then that's a whole 'nother story, but still I think the 'easiest' for the n00b.

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would change that to anyone who played in college. But youre right in that this is something amateurs would have a chance at.

i would say hitting a baseball would be the hardest thing for an amateur.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
ping pong I think would be worse. Any competent player should crush anybody that's never played. A competent professional would be ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are professional ping pong players?

tdarko
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
are they better than a former male tennis pro.

b/c in practice i have beaten him in a full 6 game set without him spotting me a game. i think you guys might be underestimating me a little. i am not saying i am going to win but it will be closer than yall think.

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are high schools with soccer teams? What is a keeper? Is that a goalie?

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

b/c in practice i have beaten him in a full 6 game set without him spotting me a game. i think you guys might be underestimating me a little. i am not saying i am going to win but it will be closer than yall think.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah tdarko this is pretty much impossible for us to judge.

mason55
09-08-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are overrepresenting him or underrepresenting yourself. And since he made it past the first round of the Aussie open then you must be seriously underrepresenting yourself.

asofel
09-08-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I amuse myself daily trying to figure out which questions show serious confusion and which are asked jokingly. I often think you're serious /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Which tdarko will be playing?

This one...

http://www.icalledshotgun.com/photodirectory/tdarko2.jpg

...looks about 30 pounds heavier than this one...

http://www.icalledshotgun.com/photodirectory/tdarko1.jpg

Shajen
09-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I also let my wife beat me in pool occassionally.

(I'm just sayin...)

Dude, if you are so sure this isn't a bad bet for you take. But I'd scale down the wager some. You're gonna get his A game.

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I amuse myself daily trying to figure out which questions show serious confusion and which are asked jokingly. I often think you're serious /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are we alking about the U.S.? I've seriously never heard of high school soccer. I thought kids stopped playing this by the time they were like 9 or so and move on to real sports? And yes, I was serious about the other part.

mason55
09-08-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are we alking about the U.S.? I've seriously never heard of high school soccer. I thought kids stopped playing this by the time they were like 9 or so and move on to real sports? And yes, I was serious about the other part.

[/ QUOTE ]

All high schools have a soccer team. There is NCAA Div 1, 2, and 3 soccer. We have semi-pro leagues. The US even has a PROFESSIONAL SOCCER LEAGUE!!! were you aware of that?

Shajen
09-08-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought kids stopped playing this by the time they were like 9 or so and move on to real sports? And yes, I was serious about the other part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw, [censored]. Here we go.... <font color="white">awesome Jake, just awesome. </font>

LetYouDown
09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are professional ping pong players?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. And they are good. Good being the understatement of the century. I saw a video of two chinese guys playing and it was absolutely mind blowing. Both that someone would spend that much time playing ping pong, and their ability.

tdarko
09-08-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was a reasonably well sectionally ranked player in high school, and if you give me a month to brush up on my game, I would take this bet with those terms against you.

There are a few million tennis players out there, and your friend was likely once one of the best 100 or so of them. He's a great player. If you've played with him before, he's probably given you no inclination whatsoever of how good he really is.

[/ QUOTE ]
trust me i grew up with him and have known him since i was 5. i have held a tennis racket since he has held one. the first time he hit a tennis ball was the first time i hit one. we both played tennis and baseball growing up, and he was a great baseball player too...i just decided to go with baseball and he went with tennis. this is just a friendly welcome home bet (i just got home from my season) between to long time friends is all.

so you know, i know how good he is. he is unbelievable and i have all the respect in the world of him, this is why i want a set and a game in every set.

i played yesterday (there is a country club in my neighborhood) and my serve was topping out at 102, thats not going to get it done against him but i was hitting my shots deep and not really missing. i know if i can change up my looks on him then i can at least hang in there.

you are tennis guy. what do you think about swithching from volley to ground...i have a nice drop shot and this can set that up well?

ftball0000
09-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I played college baseball, and I played a friend of mine in tennis and he was the #1 singles player at Valporasio (Think Bryce Drew in the NCAA tourney) And he absolutely destroyed me. Granted you are better at tennis than I am, but hitting a curveball is alot easier than hitting a 120mph serve.

asofel
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, yes, talkin bout the U.S. Plenty schools have soccer (i would say most), and you are correct, keeper=goalie. Out of curiosity, what are real sports?

tdarko
the second one, i am about 201 right now. my baseball season just got over so i am light. the first pick was in december during the offseason when i am always heavy, the second pic was taken in new york in the middle of a season when i was in shape. i look like the second pic right now. not that it would matter, i turn would turn it on with a broken leg and a [censored] palpitated heart /images/graemlins/wink.gif

kenberman
09-08-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of a high school w/o a soccer team.

are you aware of such things as "high school cafeterias", or "high school gymnasiums"?

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
haha, yes, talkin bout the U.S. Plenty schools have soccer (i would say most), and you are correct, keeper=goalie. Out of curiosity, what are real sports?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know...sports. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vulturesrow
09-08-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I attended one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tdarko
[ QUOTE ]

(I'm just sayin...)

Dude, if you are so sure this isn't a bad bet for you take. But I'd scale down the wager some. You're gonna get his A game.

[/ QUOTE ]
i have never got his B game in anything we have ever played since we could walk.

tennis is the only thing he can beat me in and he makes sure he does it everytime he steps on the court.

trust me i don't think i am going to win this, but i haven't seen him in 6 months and the tennis match wouldn't be as fun without some money on the line /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I attended one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.

Shajen
09-08-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(I'm just sayin...)

[/ QUOTE ]
i have never got his B game in anything we have ever played since we could walk.

tennis is the only thing he can beat me in and he makes sure he does it everytime he steps on the court.

trust me i don't think i am going to win this, but i haven't seen him in 6 months and the tennis match wouldn't be as fun without some money on the line /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are determined to do this then. Good luck. Post results.

Voltron87
09-08-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

(I'm just sayin...)

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well it looks like youre great friends and better at tennis than we all thought, so i change my initial pessimistic outlook.

Reef
09-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Here's a better deal, you start each game at 40-0 and each set at 4-0. THEN, MAAAAAAYBE do you have any chance if you've played at a high school state or college level.

CrazyEyez
09-08-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
trust me i grew up with him and have known him since i was 5. i have held a tennis racket since he has held one. the first time he hit a tennis ball was the first time i hit one. we both played tennis and baseball growing up, and he was a great baseball player too...i just decided to go with baseball and he went with tennis. this is just a friendly welcome home bet (i just got home from my season) between to long time friends is all.

so you know, i know how good he is. he is unbelievable and i have all the respect in the world of him, this is why i want a set and a game in every set.

i played yesterday (there is a country club in my neighborhood) and my serve was topping out at 102, thats not going to get it done against him but i was hitting my shots deep and not really missing. i know if i can change up my looks on him then i can at least hang in there.

you are tennis guy. what do you think about swithching from volley to ground...i have a nice drop shot and this can set that up well?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok so clearly the only person qualified to answer your original question is you, which renders this entire thread worthless. I award it 1 star, and my god have mercy on it's soul.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jakethebake
09-08-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok so clearly the only person qualified to answer your original question is you, which renders this entire thread worthless. I award it 1 star, and my god have mercy on it's soul. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now where are the damn hot chick pics? /images/graemlins/mad.gif

tdarko
you sir obviously haven't read the thread.

anyway, i will post the results later.

asofel
Get LethalRose to back you. Problem solved.

Reef
09-08-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I played tennis from 7th-12th grade for my school. A 103 serve is probably about his 2nd serve if he's that's good. Or else his 2nd serve is gonna be an 80mph kick serve that goes ridiculously out of the court/over your head.

Read my other post for a better handicap idea

Reef
09-08-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you sir obviously haven't read the thread.

anyway, i will post the results later.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously did read the whole thread
and I want the minutes back of my life /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I know its all in fun for a longtime friend, and it wouldn't give you the competitive feeling us gamblers crave without some $ on the line..

but heck.. that's like 2 days worth of work $ right there!

tdarko
09-08-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
k so clearly the only person qualified to answer your original question is you,

[/ QUOTE ]
no, someone else helped me out with my question. that post you just replied was strategy invovled and nothing to do with the original post. the original post is should i take the bet, now that i am dumb and not listening to anyone...i decided to try and talk tennis with a fellow person that is tennis knowledgeable. thank you.

tdarko
09-08-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but heck.. that's like 2 days worth of work $ right there!

[/ QUOTE ]
haha so dumb when you think about huh? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

oh well i just have a problem backing out of things when i say that i am going to do something.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-08-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BRIILLIANT!

asofel
09-08-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BRIILLIANT!

[/ QUOTE ]

*bows*

btw, how're sciencing with kyro's girlfriend coming?

swede123
09-08-2005, 02:58 PM
Interesting thread. It has me thinking about what sport you could expect a novice to compete with an elite or professional type athlete. My answer is...none.

Every single sport you picked, whether team events or individual would result in total domination by the professional player, without any exception. I agree that shooting penalty shots in soccer might give a relative novice a chance against a pro goalie, but that's a pretty damn small part of what constitutes soccer.

Poker might be the only "sport" where an amateur might be able to compete in one single tournament or whatever, due to the luck factor involved.

Swede

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-08-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BRIILLIANT!

[/ QUOTE ]

*bows*

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you mean... unless kyro's dating a GMD missile?

BreakfastBurrito
09-08-2005, 02:59 PM
You seem pretty confident in your skill level, but unless the Australian is slang for some local tournament in your town, I just see the skill disparity as way too great for any strategy to make a difference. You're right, 102mph serves aren't going to trouble your opponent much.

If I were you, I'd ask for a set, start up 3-0 in every subsequent set, and you're up 30-0 at the start of each game. He might still take it, and I think this would give you a shot at being competitive.

LetYouDown
09-08-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poker might be the only "sport" where an amateur might be able to compete in one single tournament or whatever, due to the luck factor involved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pool is another one. Granted, it would take a certain # of miracles...but those miracles are more likely in pool than say, tennis or golf.

kyro
09-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I haven't read the rest of the replies, but he hasn't stopped laughing at you since you made that bet. Awful.

kyro
09-08-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BRIILLIANT!

[/ QUOTE ]

*bows*

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Way to use an obscure joke that probably 10 people are going to get.

Shajen
09-08-2005, 03:09 PM
http://immcweb.redstone.army.mil/immcpublic/rd/net/gmd-2.jpg

imported_stealthcow
09-08-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i played table tennis (the real name) semi seriously for about 4 yrs. if you've never seen top level table tennis, you really have no idea what the game is like.

to be completely honest, i'd let anyone here train for a week straight with any table tennis player they want to in just returning serves. then i would have a pro (top 100 in the world, but it wouldn't be too big a deal to go lower) serve 10 times. the bet would be how many times they could return the ball on the table. over under on that i think would be 2.

but i think its fairly ridiculous to assume in many, if any of these sports anyone has a very good chance. ie, 1 on 1 basketball vs any pro basketball player, hockey, golf, swimming, track...

stealthcow-

LetYouDown
09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but i think its fairly ridiculous to assume in many, if any of these sports anyone has a very good chance. ie, 1 on 1 basketball vs any pro basketball player, hockey, golf, swimming, track...

[/ QUOTE ]
It wasn't really a matter of actually having a decent chance to win. Just the best/worst chance, even if that's 1/10000.

Ulysses
09-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Are you serious? I have not read any followups, but based on the initial message, I would not take this getting 10-1 if I were you.

JTrout
09-08-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and the tennis match wouldn't be as fun without some money on the line .

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just it, though. There is no money on the line. That money is your friends' as soon as you walk on the court.

asofel
09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BRIILLIANT!

[/ QUOTE ]

*bows*

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

see this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=3346498&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1) thread

La Brujita
09-08-2005, 03:34 PM
I only read the initial post but I would bet on the pro in a heartbeat.

09-08-2005, 05:29 PM
If he's still in tour shape:
0-5, 6-0, 6-0, 6-2 <font color="white"> you get 2 mercy games</font>

tdarko
09-08-2005, 05:36 PM
*we decided since i only had to win 5 games in a set that i could win a set 5-4 and didn't have to win by 2, but if i tie a game at 5-5 then the game has to be won by 2--this is important b/c ironically it plays out /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

we got to the court around 2 p.m. central time, one of the club pro's was the line judge.

first set i obviously win 5-0 by design.

second set i lose 6-4. i play out of my ass but he makes no mistakes, i am switching gears on him and its the only thing keeping it close. i am pulling drop shots out of my ass, lob shots when he is at the net, cross court winners, i am hitting the ball exceptionally deep and very clean and i am moving very well. my first serve is avg at best and my second serve is below avg at best but at least i made up for it with a good ground game and return game.
summary: it doesn't look good b/c i played as well as i could and was a step behind the entire way.

third set i win 5-4. again i play out of my mind or at least i think i did but the difference this time is he made a lot of unforced errors. i had a few shots go my way as well that could have easily gone the other way.
summary: hope he keeps making mistakes and take advantage of them, he's starting to choke.

fourth set i lose 6-2. he works me pretty good this set. i think he broke every serve but one if i remember correctly?
summary: he's good

fifth set i lose 7-6 (7-3). again i play as well as i can and he makes some mistakes that i capitalize on. my gameplan after the set i won was to hit the ball as deep as i could into his backhand b/c that was my only chance at staying alive. anyway he cruised in the tiebreaker and won, but it was fun match anyway.

overall he didn't play that great i IMO but oh well no excuses.

p.s. sorry i was vague in the OP, i wish some of you would have read the whole thread before some of the comments.

tdarko
09-08-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he's still in tour shape:

[/ QUOTE ]
last tour match was 13 months ago.

he has been giving lessons since.

Dantes
09-08-2005, 05:42 PM
http://www.punkskateboarders.com/secret/pics/you_gonna_get_raped.jpg

Reef
09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
gg..

what is your NTRP ? You've gotta be a 5.0 at least to pull this off.

J.A.Sucker
09-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Or his buddy is keeping him on the line for a 10K bet next time...

tdarko
09-08-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
5.0 sounds about right. i mean 7 is world class and 6 is what my tennis coach told me what i "could become" if i stuck with it and since i didn't i wouldn't say any higher than 5.

tdarko
09-08-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or his buddy is keeping him on the line for a 10K bet next time...

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, trust me my name isn't tdsucker. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

peterchi
09-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Wow.

That's nuts.

I can't even imagine being in your shoes once you get to the tiebreaker. I suck at tiebreakers enough as it is, plus I am a head-case and a choke-artist; I can't imagine playing the 5th set tiebreaker with 1g on the line. And also since at that point the whole handicap is basically done with... man that sucks, haha.

This thread was entertaining. Sorry it cost you a thousand bucks

tdarko
09-08-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry it cost you a thousand bucks

[/ QUOTE ]
ahh no worries he will figure out a way to give it back, last time i just got him drunk (while i pretended to be drunk) and beat the crap out of him at ping-pong at the lake. hmmmm...maybe another trip report coming up. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ulysses
09-08-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
5.0 sounds about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a 5.0 player has that match against a recent tour pro. I really don't think there's any way you get that close if your friend is trying at all. What was your friend's highest tour rank?

tdarko
09-08-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how a 5.0 player has that match against a recent tour pro

[/ QUOTE ]
this is my own personal assessment of myself and i could be wrong.
[ QUOTE ]
What was your friend's highest tour rank?

[/ QUOTE ]
i asked him and he says he never broke the top 100 and his highest rank was 106th in the world.

FWIW, jimmy conners was 176th in the world when he won his quarterfinal match in 91'. this has nothing to do with me or my friend or this thread, just remembered it from the other night when they were talking about it when i was watching the agassi/blake match and talking about rankings here sparked my memory. that connors match was a [censored]' classic.

J_V
09-08-2005, 08:04 PM
I don't think you have you stories right about him winning in the first round in the Australian. Someone that can do that, would be playing competitive tennis year round and a player below college level wouldn't win a game off him in a five set match. If he really did advance in the Australian Open, then you are royally screwed.

John Ho
09-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Are you kidding me? In no way should you even think about taking this bet. He will drill you a new butthole faster than you can imagine.

bravos1
09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding me? In no way should you even think about taking this bet. He will drill you a new butthole faster than you can imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the whole thread before you reply.. the match has finished AND the results have been posted.

DangerGoodson
09-08-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
5.0 sounds about right. i mean 7 is world class and 6 is what my tennis coach told me what i "could become" if i stuck with it and since i didn't i wouldn't say any higher than 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you dont play very often your not a 5.0. I was one of the better tennis player in Minnesota in High School and I'm like a 4.5, when I'm consistently playing.

fingokra
09-08-2005, 09:04 PM
If you did not underrepresent yourself in your intial assessment, I would be willing to bet that you would not win this bet against the average 5.0 much less a touring pro.

Mr. Zero
09-08-2005, 09:33 PM
He'd beat you left handed. And I'm not kidding.

mblax10
09-08-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. My high school's goalie went on to play for DC United. In the state tourney 1 year the team had 3 games go to shootout, I think he allowed 2 goals on 17 PK's vs. top high school shooters. When the goalies that much better than the shooter, he can actually react to the pk as opposed to the guessing you see when it's 2 pros against each other.

arod15
09-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Do it the guy obviously thinks your a pussy. So play the game but if you lose youll be a pussy without money....

Mr. Zero
09-08-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
5.0 sounds about right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how a 5.0 player has that match against a recent tour pro. I really don't think there's any way you get that close if your friend is trying at all. What was your friend's highest tour rank?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. Something's not right here.

I played tennis at DePaul - C-USA, now Big East. C-USA was roughly the 5th or 6th best tennis conference, we usually finished in the middle of the conference, and I played in the middle of the lineup. I was by no means a great player, but good enough to win a few state championships in high school, get a nice scholarship to play, and have a competitive college career. I will more or less make a 5.0 club player look like they don't know how to play.

I would never have taken a set off a player who reached the main draw of a major, even with your modified rules. Those guys are [censored] GOOD.

Dominic
09-08-2005, 10:41 PM
I used to be a tennis pro myself. This bet is a joke. If he really has played in a Grand Slam event, he is a GREAT tennis player. The talent difference between him and Agassi is not much, once you get into the top 100 or so players. He will OWN you. You're going to be very lucky to win one game from him. Hell, I'd take a side bet that says you won't win more than one game per set.

If I were you, I'd restructure the bet like this:

You get a 15-0 lead in every game. You get the doubles alleys. AND you get a 1 game lead in each set plus the one set lead.

Also,I'd seriously allowing him only one serve instead of two, because you will not be able to return one of his serves. Ever.

Have fun!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RRRRICK
09-08-2005, 10:55 PM
his skill: made it past the first round of the australian once (i believe it was 02'?).

Do you have any idea how good you have to be to get that far.

I dated a girl once who made it to the satellite tour and she kicked my ass. Unless you are better than what you say you have no chance at all

goofball
09-08-2005, 11:23 PM
I would take this bet altering only one thing. He's not allowed to wear shoes

tdarko
09-09-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you dont play very often your not a 5.0.

[/ QUOTE ]
i said i was about a 5.0 and that it sounded about right, it could be higher for all i know /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. when i said that i play off and on i meant during my baseball season, i usually play about twice a week and in the offseason i play all the time (great for cardio) and use it has part of my workouts. so i do play and play a lot.

as for my friend, he has been selling real estate and giving tennis lessong part time since retiring from tennis. even still he is way better than me, we all know this.

RRRRICK
09-09-2005, 12:43 AM
Jimmy Connors once played a sports journalist who had criticised him I think using a frypan and opposite hand.

I believe he whipped his ass

tdarko
09-09-2005, 12:44 AM
i think jimmy connors is God right? or at least that's who i prayed to all my life.

tdarko
09-09-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are better than what you say you have no chance at all

[/ QUOTE ]
you are right i didn't really have a chance like EVERYONE has said i know. but i was also very vague in my OP and that was my fault but i cleared things up later, what i should have originally mentioned was that this guy has been one of my closest friends since we could walk and we learned how to play tennis together at the age of 5. we were practice partners all our lives, even when he was ranked. so i knew what i was getting into. yes i knew he was going to kick my ass but it was a friendly but between long time friends.

RRRRICK
09-09-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i think jimmy connors is God right? or at least that's who i prayed to all my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he was a little bit good yes /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BeerMoney
09-09-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you are better than what you say you have no chance at all

[/ QUOTE ]
you are right i didn't really have a chance like EVERYONE has said i know. but i was also very vague in my OP and that was my fault but i cleared things up later, what i should have originally mentioned was that this guy has been one of my closest friends since we could walk and we learned how to play tennis together at the age of 5. we were practice partners all our lives, even when he was ranked. so i knew what i was getting into. yes i knew he was going to kick my ass but it was a friendly but between long time friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's probably trying to hussle you into playing again.

TomCollins
09-09-2005, 12:37 PM
He'll crush you. I am roughly a 4.0 player, and playing a friend who "doesn't play too much", but won as state doubles championship in HS, CRUSHED me. We played two sets, he won 6-0, 6-1.

If there is any significant skill difference, it's pretty easy to skunk an opponent.

Richie Rich
09-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Play for $100 to make it worth something for both of you. Then afterwards, you'll be glad you didn't bet $1,000.

B Dids
09-09-2005, 06:59 PM
This tennis stuff is boring (especially since everybody is grunching the thread) talk about your baseball? Minor leagues must be, you're not in the playoffs, which means that you're not an M's farmhand (or on steriods!).

More info plz.

hicherbie
09-09-2005, 07:45 PM
u sure hes not gaming you for the next time you guys play?

Boris
09-09-2005, 07:50 PM
dude you are screwed.

ryanghall
09-09-2005, 07:58 PM
He will slaughter you.

Don't.

(I haven't read the responses so I guess you already have).

Ryan

ryanghall
09-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Would you mind at all telling us who this is?

I would have almost certainly heard of him..

ryan

tom441lbk
09-09-2005, 08:27 PM
this is like playing michael jordan to 20, and he spots you 18, you're just going to have to get lucky and hope you have a good day, he has an offday, and luck falls your way, then if you win, rub it is inface as much as possible

don't take the bet, afterwards he'll just say "ship it"